Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 01:21 Go to next message
Hey All,

Can I get your opinion on the best diff option... LSD Clutch or Torsen.

I currently have a 4:3 Clutch LSD (NA version) in the car, but it is a bit loose... basically when you let go of the accelerator you get a "clunk" sound from the diff, so it needs some attention soon and the packs must be loose.

So I am considering my options, get the clutch packs fixed in the current one , or upgrade to a JZA70 Torsen LSD.

Will the Torsen LSD centre fit into the MA70 housing, or does it need a special Torsen housing?

Also is the torsen better than the clutch-type dif?, I seem to read alot of people blow the torsen's.

Cheers,

Rob.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 February 2005 01:21]

Send a private message to this user    
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Rib,
The torsion will fit into your housing as i just did this swap myself. Torsion is great up to a point and then the hemisphere housing becomes the weak link. Not having broken one as yet i can't say for sure at what hp/torque level you will have problems but i'm at 270rwkw and over 600Nm of torque and mine is still fine.

That said i am taking it out of the car while it is still fresh and in good condition to sell as i'm pretty sure once i crack 300rwkw i will break it. I hope to replace it with a TRD clutch pack centre.

For competition clutch is the way to go. For street, it's either really up until you need an aftermarket centre. Torsion has a much longer wear life so if that's a factor i guess torsion wins.

I'm not sure how strong the factory clutch pack hemisphere is so could be this will go same as the factory torsion?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard of a few JZA70 torsen diffs exploding, and they usually seem to let go on hard launches (eg at the drags). I guess it depends what you're using it for; if you're going to see the drag strip every now and then I'd say stick with the clutch LSD, but for street or occasional circuit use the torsen is the way to go. I have an aftermarket torsen centre in my MA61 and I love it, it's heaps better than the old clutch LSD.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1 Thing to note is the sideshafts are different on the Torsen G series diffs compared to the Clutch LSD's.

Torsens run longer side shafts than the clutch pack equivalent.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the replies guys,

I want to set the car up for track use and maybe give drift a try one day.

I gather the clutch LSD's would be much cheaper to repair than the Torsen LSD also?

Stenno raises what could be an issue too.

I guess I am after going for the stronger and more reliable of the two.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
torsens never wear out AFAIK, but they arent as suited to drift/racing either (again, AFAIK), clutch type is the way to go, but they do need to be rebuilt, how often depends on how you drive the car.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 14:48

torsens never wear out AFAIK, but they arent as suited to drift/racing either (again, AFAIK), clutch type is the way to go, but they do need to be rebuilt, how often depends on how you drive the car.

Everything wears out eventually. They usually go BANG in a nasty way when they're at a point where there is too much backlash in the spur/worm gears in the centre.

If you're after strength, find a TRD/Afermarket Clutchpack centre - as already mentioned these are stronger than the Torsen equivalent.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers thanks for that, Clutch LSD it is Smile.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Thu, 03 February 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Driftspec, I have a Torsen G series in my 1JZ Soarer. I have had no problems with it and it's excellent for daily driving.

The thing will let you slide the car very easily and spin the wheels on command, especially with the 1JZ. I remember when I first had it in my car, it had an amazing feel and felt so stable around corners.

It is only a one way diff though, so if all you did all day was drifting, it would not be what you are looking for, but you arn't so it is probably what you should look into.

With the Torsen, one way means while torque is applied to the diff it will spin both wheels, but while off the accelerator it may act as a normal open LSD. It will also bias torque to the wheel with most grip.

It's very strong and will last the life time of the car if you change the oil like normal.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Fri, 04 February 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm you make a good arguement Razz

Still deciding whether to folk out the cash or just get the current one fixed.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 02:45]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Fri, 04 February 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It cost me $450 I think to get the Torsen centre put into a G series housing.

So you have to look at it that way. If you can already get a good condition diff in a housing for that price get it. However, if that clutch diff slips, it will cost you that anyway to get it tightened.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Fri, 04 February 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where abouts did you get the centre put in?

[Updated on: Fri, 04 February 2005 04:09]

Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Fri, 04 February 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boss Automotive
4 Scarborough Way Lonsdale 5160 (08) 8387 0178

It's cheaper to take the centre and housing to him. I think his name was Gary, i can't remember though. Top bloke.

If you want them to do it, it may take some time and it will cost more.

I took the diff out myself, took it to him, and got Steve at JMS to put the diff housing back into the car again. Doing it all yourself is a bastard.
Driftspec
Regular

November 2003
Re: MA70 Diff Question - Clutch or Torsen? Fri, 04 February 2005 07:05 Go to previous message
Cheers yeah don't want to do it all myself, I think I will follow what you did.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1g standard clutch
Next Topic:ra23 temp gauge into oil temp??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 15:34:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067660808563232 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.