Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1J with lots of throttle bodies Thu, 03 February 2005 20:05 Go to next message
anyone know if the 20V throttles will fit on the 1J? i thinking about doing something Shocked Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Thu, 03 February 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man thatd be a lot of work, custom runners, plenum...
you might wanna talk to gt about that idea
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ITB's are certainly do-able, but I don't know if using 20V throttles would be the best way to do it. It's usually done by hacking up the factory runners, welding on a flange and bolting off-the-shelf throttles to that. If you're planning to do this on a turbo engine it gets rather complicated from there...
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Wouldn't it be easier to adapt GTR ITB's and sundry stuff?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you hoping to achieve? If you are looking for throttle response, I would say pick a better turbo. If you after bling, well, you certainly are going to blow some cheddar......

If you must, use GTR throttle plates or some milled down SU carbs (ghetto spec). Meridian Motorsport have some nice throttle blocks too. Using the DCOE patterned ITBs will add an extra degree of difficulty.

20V stuff is small and will require a lot of cutting and shutting.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i believe it has been done, and a long time ago i saw some pictures, couldnt tell you where i found the link though Sad was a long time ago
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah-go for the GTR throttles-or maybe 6 motorcycle carbies modded to be T/Bs only.

On a 5M turbo I built up, I had a big plenum (14L) fitted with two Rotary 13B Turbo throttlebodies. That gave it 6 inlet butterflys-about 35mm each. It certainly was novel, and freaked dudes out, but in hindsight there were a few otherthings I could have done first to unlock easier HP. There's heaps of custom work involved doing something like this, and you will get more benefit with a stock TB and optimising (Short and smooth as possible) the length of your intake piping.

Having said that though, if you have the TB's in the runners after the plenum you could use a massive plenum with the runner mounted TBs giving better transient response. (only a small vol of air after TBs)

(One thing the 6 butterflys did do was make the most awesome noise when you slammed you foot down and opened them up. And with the 300 duration cam and 500thou lift the TBs allowed it rev to almost 8000 rpm-as I said,they would sound awesome.....)

It'd be cool-but you could probably spend you time on something that will have a greater impact for your effort.

One way to improve yor response is to fit a second TB upstream of your turbo. I saw a setup on a gemini where it had a TB in the normal spot, and a second bigger one in front of the turbo. The idea was to stop the turbo drawing in air when you snaped the throttle shut rather than venting boost via a BOV. It worked well apparrently.

If you went for a super free-flowing intake setup, massive cams and a big blower to match you could make the mother of all 1Js.

How many revs will the 1J take on a stock bottom end before it lets go? 7500+?

Sean
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Fri, 04 February 2005 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4000 ft/sec is achieved at 9500 rpm. Of course, you'd want to make sure oiling/oil pressure and bearing clearances were up to spec.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Sat, 05 February 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F**k me drunk. 9500rpm eh? Thats the revs where you achieve max practical piston speed huh? Surely you could rev it 8000 safely? If it's the same or similar bore/stroke as the m series, the 2.5L would be achieved with a 75mm crank with the 3.0L bore (I calculated that if you put a 2m crank into a 5m that you'd get a 2.5L when I was mucking about one day). A rev monster with such a short throw!

Does the 1J have a stroke of around 75mm and the 2J 91mm or so?

Once again it seems as though the 1J is capable of coping with anything thrown at it.......

How was your xmas Dave? Good, or were you Quacking it most of the time?

Sean
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1J with lots of throttle bodies Sat, 05 February 2005 01:39 Go to previous message
1JZ = 71.5mm
2JZ = 86mm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t gte into an Ra65
Next Topic:ACL reference number for 4age with TVIS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 22:32:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055949687957764 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.