Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 11 February 2005 10:19 Go to next message
what tension are the rod caps done up to...yes ive searched and only found head, cams, and crank settings
  Send a private message to this user    
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 11 February 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey i have the 18r-c specs as follows 39 to 48 Ft/lbs
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 11 February 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Ra28Freak but that's not correct. They have different tightening torques.

I just checked up the book for you and the figures for 18R-G are as follows:

46.3 - 50.6 ft.lb
6.4 - 7.0 kg.m

(1977 edition)

I hope you got this before you did the job.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sat, 12 February 2005 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys...ill do them to about 48 so its in between it all...
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sat, 12 February 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol its for my engine so i hope he did too thats why i said i only had the rc specs
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sat, 12 February 2005 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well theres been an accident with the engine actually...ive put the bottum end together..gone to turn it over buy hand and it doesnt turn. ive already put sump and timing case on also. it turns out that i may have used a 18rc crank instead of 18rg and the bearing journals on the conrods are slightly different so when i tension up the rods the rods get stuck and jam up Crying or Very Sad so now i gotta strip it agian and put a rg crank in
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that should be fine, I reckon that's what we used and we haven't had any issues that we know of. Haven't had any spun bearings or horrible noises.

Sorry if I sounded a little abrupt before Ra28Freak, I only skimmed your post and than made a quick trip to the book and posted. I read your post afterwards and realised that you weren't implying that those figures could be used on the RG.

Just for interest, does anyone know why they use different figures?
The tightening torques are different for the Crankshaft bearing caps too.

I've read somewhere that 2TG and 3TG cranks are forged and am wondering if the same is true of the 18RG cranks.

Is there a way to distinguish between 18RG and 18RC cranks?

Later,

Steve M
barned01
Regular

September 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have heard that the 18rg crank is forged and the 18rc crank isn't but again only heard.
does it make sense to be tighter because there is more of an explosion happening in the top end that tightening it that little bit more is just reccommended?

people 100: when i chucked my rg together the original crank had a crack in it (bad apparently Smile) so i stole the crank out of an rc and used that instead. the bearings are the same fro an rc and an rg so it should be alright.
when we oiled it all up and tightened to the specified torque we also found that we couldn't turn the bottem end either and were pretty worried, but once we used the starter moter to turn the car over it turned fine.
I think that because it is freshly built and the tolerances are pretty tight, that would explain why it is hard to turn.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would expect the 18rc and 18rg cranks are identical.

ben,
the reason the it is hard to turn the engine over is likely to be that the 18rc (revved out less often ) crank will be less abused and hence less worn and tighter clearances.

what u are best off doing is put the first cylinder bearing cap on (plenty of oil) and turn the motor over by hand 5 times...... then repeat this process for the rest of the cylinders.

if you bolt everything together at once, means u will struggle to get it to move from the bolt together position, but once its moved it should continue to loosen up as u wind it over.

also, are they standard bearings??? are they over sized??

have u plastiguaged the bearings??? what are the clearances??

my bearings were all like 2 thou and the recomended is between 2 and 4 thou(i think). mine was pretty tight to turn over in the begining but loosened up
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We used 18RC bearings and used the 18RG torque figures and it was hard to turn.
I reckon that the new bearings are just firmer than the old ones (hence the need to run in a rebuilt engine)
The other reason that it was hard to hand crank was that the bores had just been oversized for the new pistons and new rings.

A rebuilt engine should always be harder to hand crank. This is also due to less lubrication.

We had to use two batteries to start the engine (out of the car with fairly average connections) because we couldn't get it to go over compression.

The torque figures should be fine. I've had a look at some of the other figures comparitively between the two 18R series engines and it seems that where the design of the parts is the same, it is only the parts relating to the crank and the camshaft drive gear (aux shaft) the use different figures.
It seems though, that the RG uses finer tolerences for tightening torques. A few of the figures for parts of the engine are within the range set for the 18RC but the RG has a smaller range. ie. 18RC range = 68.7-83.2ft.lb, 18RG range = 72.3-79ft.lb

I thought this was interesting, along witht he fact that 18GR's came with a 3-angle valve grind from the factory.

You guys might not find interest in these things but then again, I lead a pretty dull life.

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i even had a starter in it and it wouldnt turn..turned out that instead of someone marking the rod and cap on the same side they marked them opposite sides. so when i put the pistons in i put the marks together and in fact they were suppose to be opposite. hence the reason it was tight and jammed up...its all good now. ive done onem up to check it and turns fine now...also know for a fact rc and rg cranks are interchangable now but the rg is alot strong because its forged.
Ra28Freak
Regular

September 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yay its not dead Surprised
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sun, 13 February 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, that is good news.

I'm glad it is now going together well.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Mon, 14 February 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, as far as i know the parts numbers for the rg's and rc's are the same, except for cam parts.(yer i know its a bit l8)

Are u saying that u did not match tang to tang? thats a big no no.... oh well we all learn from our mistakes.

Can anyone confirm that the 18rg is forged and the rc is not?

---jeff---

[Updated on: Mon, 14 February 2005 08:22]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Mon, 14 February 2005 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro RA28 wrote on Mon, 14 February 2005 18:50

Hey, as far as i know the parts numbers for the rg's and rc's are the same, except for cam parts.(yer i know its a bit l8)

---jeff---

so that means if i order a 18rc tappet cover gasket, it will be the same as an 18rg one???

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Mon, 14 February 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it could be if you stretch it Cool
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Tue, 15 February 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I PM'd CelicaRA45 the other day as he used to rally 18RG's

He even told me how to identify between the forged 18RG crank and the cast 18RC crank.

Here's what he sent back:

PM1.
ok a sharp parting line on the web is a cast crank and a broad parting line is a forged steel crank ,hope this helps
on the crank subject

PM2.
1mm line is cast a broad 5mm line is a forging you have to look at the crank to see where they are joined as they are from a mould made at the factory

I am not sure about conrods though. I just PM'd him again to find out.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 00:57]

jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Tue, 15 February 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well maybe i should have spent a little more time to write that. The part numbers for the bottom end components are the same. (as far as i know)

Well atleast i hope so because i bought a bottom end gasket kit, bearing kit etc for an 18r.

Very interesting about the forged crank stuff to:) Very hepful also.

---jeff---

[Updated on: Tue, 15 February 2005 09:08]

Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 18 February 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the part numbers are the same, as long as you are comparing the same type of thrust bearing with the same type of thrust bearing.

I've just been told that the 18RG Con Rods are made from different materials too!
Just waiting on infor re: Identification.

[Updated on: Fri, 18 February 2005 04:19]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 18 February 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one thing i wanna know is can you put 18rc pistons onto 18rg rods?
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 18 February 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havent u tried that already???

i would assume they fit
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Fri, 18 February 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just used complete rc rods and pistons but im thinking of changing to rc pistons with rg rods
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18rg conrod bearing caps..tension??? Sat, 19 February 2005 00:18 Go to previous message
I can't see why not, all the critical measurements should be the same, just that your compression ratio will go to 7:1 Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:whats what on a SC12
Next Topic:how cool is too cool?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 20:39:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.095447063446045 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.