Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
..J..
Regular

June 2004
changing timing belt on 1j Fri, 11 February 2005 00:08 Go to next message
hi all

a mate of mine is about to chnage his timing belt. i remeber a thread about 12 months ago on this topic but cant remeber there ever being a best, least time consuming.

what is the best easiest least time consuming way to do this.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Fri, 11 February 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://mkiv.com/manual/manualtt/timing_belt_replac ement/index.html
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Fri, 11 February 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno bout 1j but 2j is easy, i assume similar. you just remove anything thats impeding your removing of the belt!? what more is there to know unless your asking how to change a timing belt in general.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: changing timing belt on 1j Fri, 11 February 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a *little* more work than that
upper timing cover, lower timing cover, and, hardest of all, crank pulley need to come off. once this is done you just put some leverage on the tensioner and slip it off, and repeat in reverse.

if your cam gear seals need replacing, or you're going for adjustable cam gears, or your water pump is due for replacement, then NOW is the time to do it!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: changing timing belt on 1j Fri, 11 February 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, and crank that baby over to TDC before you start... will make things a lot easier when it comes time to put the belt back on.

And you'll need someone as monstrously strong as Ed with a breaker bar to get the crank pulley off - it's uber-torqued. 92ft/lbs rings a bell??
do a search... I bitched long and hard about doing mine (because, basically, I'm a pansy)

[Updated on: Fri, 11 February 2005 08:29]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Sun, 13 February 2005 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why you need a rattle gun.
but to get the pully bolt undone all you do is put the breaker bar in it and but it against the ground/chassis rail and crank it.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Sun, 13 February 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what will happen should you choose the ghetto spec breaker bar (albeit on a 7M..)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/Asmodai/Crankpul.jpg
Probably a good idea to put a tiny bit of loctite on it before reinstalling the crank pulley bolt too, but use the 'removable strength' stuff..

Something like this makes the job real easy, I used it to reinstall the crank pulley -socket in one end, bash the shit out of the other Smile
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/Asmodai/Tool1.jpg
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Sun, 13 February 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LMAO

7M > breaker bar
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: changing timing belt on 1j Mon, 14 February 2005 10:24 Go to previous message
i dont bother with loctite, makes it dang hard to get off again. i only use it on my crank cause the keyway is thrashed and i really dont want it to get any worse Crying or Very Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke 70 brakes
Next Topic:89 Corolla Seca replacement engine.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 17:21:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046319961547852 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.