Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 01:42 Go to next message
howdy, so i was on this deserted private road Wink and anyways i was testing out the mr2 and after about 150km/hr the steering started to get very light and floaty i felt i had to back off at 175. just wondering is this because there is no weight in the front? the car is on stock suspension. is there any thing i can do to reduce this? i've seen a few sites that guys have made speed flaps that stick out a bit in front of the the front wheels and deflect air around the tyres. or perhaps a more aggresive lower lip?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Mon, 21 February 2005 12:12

howdy, so i was on this deserted private road Wink and anyways i was testing out the mr2 and after about 150km/hr the steering started to get very light and floaty i felt i had to back off at 175. just wondering is this because there is no weight in the front? the car is on stock suspension. is there any thing i can do to reduce this? i've seen a few sites that guys have made speed flaps that stick out a bit in front of the the front wheels and deflect air around the tyres. or perhaps a more aggresive lower lip?

Cheers

Probably more to do with soft and knackered suspension
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'd be looking at the suspension too. You still got stock suspension?

The Celica was quite unmanagable above 180km/h on stock suspension. Once I lowered it, it's run up to 230km/h and felt like it was glued to the road.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isn't floating due to worn shocks?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your tire pressure too.

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well in my case, it certainly is not the lack of front end weight. My RA23 on its first run with 1J was real floaty Razz at 200+kph. Cool I changed all the front suspension bushes, and ball joints. sweet as!. Cool

regards Chuck.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine wasn't TOO bad with stock worn suspension... but now with tokico shocks + king lows it sticks very nicely to the road at high speeds. Bushes are fucked however, so i'm looking to replace them soon - when I get new anti-roll bars.
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh tyres are nan kang 17" 205/40/R17 with about 38psi in em

i'll look at gettin the suspension changed then, what do you guys recommend for struts, i dont want crazy expensive stuff or coil overs just some decent shocks that are an improvement over std. KYB? GAB? and what about springs? Kings? Lovells?

Cheers
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd recommend Konis.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha. Floaty high speed ride is scary. Laughing
I promptly changed my springs/ shocks after experiencing it. 300% better now.

Having tyre pressure too high at high speed on poor roads is also dangerous (bounces are MUCH bigger). I also wish i had some kind of downforce maker.

Do those little 'blades' at the front of cars work? Or are they just for looks?
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as stated above... check suspension stuff first.

my mr2 at 170 felt fine.... (allegedly)
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: floaty at high speed Mon, 21 February 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my suspension suggestion would be Koni sport yellows (dampening adjustable) and Eibach springs.

this is a great setup and i checked into it and the best price i got for it all fitted was around $1800 ish. (in melbourne)

pm me if you wanna know where that quote was from.

maybe also consider Koni's and TRD springs or even a full TRD shocks and springs setup
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Tue, 22 February 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh its weird the corolla with just some heavy duty springs, lowered a good 2-2.5 inches and std shocks feels fine sitting at 160, yet the mr2 feels like those daytona arcade machines you know where u have to fight to keep the wheel from going all floppy if ya know what i mean, i thought maybe it was because of the power steering but i would have thought that it would be progressive, ie the faster you go the less power aided steering? or maybe thats too advanced for a '91

ok im a cheap bastard an would like to get away with it for a grand, i can do the installation myself its just a matter of what i should get. I've heard that KYB are comparible to koni? or is that just a load of bollocks i was fed by the sales rep?

As for springs i dont think i'd want to go much harsher than whats standard as the ride is quite firm already, but i do need to go about 1.5inches lower all round, $300-350 for springs about right? then say upto about 180 a corner for shocks?

blackmr2, you have a sw20 aswell? what yr? mines a 91
BlackMR2
Regular

December 2004
Re: floaty at high speed Tue, 22 February 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 92 update sw20.

spring prices you've quoted are realistic for something like king springs but 180 per shock won't get you koni's
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: floaty at high speed Tue, 22 February 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe some used coilovers? Just make sure they're not too used...
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Tue, 22 February 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty, if youre after a price on Koni's in Adelaide, call Rovparts (8369 1322).
They seem to have the best prices on Koni's ive found in Adelaide so far.
Youll probably be looking at ~$240ea for Yellow's... less for Koni Red's.
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: floaty at high speed Tue, 22 February 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mr2 is pretty scary at high speed aswell, more so in the wet even just going straight

anyway lots of things can cause it, eg worn suspension and steering parts, crap tyres, wrongs alignment setting etc...
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: floaty at high speed Wed, 23 February 2005 02:01 Go to previous message
thanks M.W.P i'll be checkin out some prices soon. hmmm that works out only a couple hundred more than what i planed, and no doubt will be a much better system, i might just have to wait a bit longer and save a few more pennies

thanks for you help and suggestions guys.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:removing the sump
Next Topic:Supercharging Q's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 10:17:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049870014190674 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.