Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Now I know how to change camry speakers.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Now I know how to change camry speakers. Wed, 23 February 2005 13:32 Go to next message
Ok, so on monday my right hand rear (6x9) speaker starts to distort bad, and I think, ok, it's been 10 years in the sun, time to get some new ones.

I take a trip down to strathfield and with no initial intention of purchase, I end up with some 200W sony's for $79. (almost half stickered price).

I then think it wouldn't be that hard to install.

This afternoon comes, I get into it, I get in the boot and disconnect the speaker cable (little plug packs), then I drop both folding seats and have a gander. Mmmmmm..... this looks like work.

I then rip off the cover to the high mount brake light and remove it. I then see that the side "cusion" things on each side of the seat next to the door will need removal. Ok I think, where is the bolt? Right down under the "bench" seat. So I then figure out that it just needs to be reefed out, (it's on big metal clips). I then remove the side cusion things. Then I find that the plastic flushing that is next to those needs removal before I still could remove the parcel tray. Ok, off comes the black rubber trim that goes all the way around the hole into the boot from the cabin, then I find I can just reef those plastic things off and the clips are fine.

Now I find I have to undo the center child seat anchor point on the parcel shelf. No biggie. NOW I can remove the damn parcel shelf after laying waste to the rear of the car.

I then find that some of the generous amounts of padding/insulation on the back of the parcel tray have come loose. Double sided tape to the rescue.Smile

Next 3 screws each and the speakers are out.

I then look at them for a while and ponder why some retard thought it a good thing to pop rivit them onto the brackets they have on them which I figure out I'll need if I want to clean mount the new speakers. Damn. Drilling time, and I hate drilling rivits. I don't know why, I just do.

After I finally get that crap off I then find lots of sticky old crumbly foam that needs scraping off the brackets. Fun.

I then manage to use the screws included with the new speakers to mount the brackets onto them. I then discover I need to cut the screws are they are much too long after fitting. But first, I have some soldering to do.

I manage to use the original plug system from the old speakers, (cut the bitches off), and solder the newly cut plug onto some of the speaker wire that was also included with the new speakers which came with some plugs to plug straight into the speakers themselves.

Anyways, next is the dremel to cut those extra long screws, shavings in eyes later I have all 8 screws cut. (at this point I'm still thankful toyota used what were standard 6x9 speakers and they have standard screw mounts on them for the brackets to fit the new sony's).

Now this is a couple of hours after starting. Time to finish up.

10 mins later, (yea that's right), I finalise the reconstruction by plugging the little plugs back into the speakers and close the boot, sit in the driver seat and test them out. Perfect. Smile Better than new and still looks completely stock as the stock grille is built into the parcel tray.

That's today's little chapter on what will be the speakers for the rest of the car's life. Smile Now to look at replacing the front ones with some higher quality speakers.......
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now I know how to change camry speakers. Thu, 24 February 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmmm, that replays a scenario I went through about 7 years ago when I had my Camry. Pity those damn grilles aren't removable, would have made the whole process much easier.
Same goes for the front doors... whole trim has to come off Sad
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now I know how to change camry speakers. Thu, 24 February 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The grilles are removable.... after you remove the parcel tray to get behind them. Very Happy

Also even if I just reefed them off, (the grilles), I'd still need to remove the parcel tray to remove the speakers anyway, as the hole in the parcel tray is no where near large enough to get to the screws.

And yea, I know I'll have to remove the whole door trim too.... Also by the looks of it if I wanted to get to the stereo, I'll have to remove the whole damn dash facia as well. Sad

So is anyone interested in some old busted up 6x9 speakers? Very Happy
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Now I know how to change camry speakers. Thu, 24 February 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe at atleast it worked out in the end Smile, i would have told you to put in good quality 6 inch speakers in the rear and use a subwoofer for rear fill. I had custom door pods made in my camry for the splits, but the bastards cut some metal on my door Rolling Eyes . I have always done my own installs but i thought their pros they can do the doors better, boy was i wrong Sad , then i drive out and the freakin splits on the left side werent hooked up.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Now I know how to change camry speakers. Thu, 24 February 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 20:30

hehe at atleast it worked out in the end Smile, i would have told you to put in good quality 6 inch speakers in the rear and use a subwoofer for rear fill. I had custom door pods made in my camry for the splits, but the bastards cut some metal on my door Rolling Eyes . I have always done my own installs but i thought their pros they can do the doors better, boy was i wrong Sad , then i drive out and the freakin splits on the left side werent hooked up.

Yea, it worked very well. The only thing that doesn't look stock is when looking at the underside of the speakers in the boot, (obviously I now see the sony sticker and the red cone), but also just a short bit of new wire going from the original plug to the plugs on the speakers themselves. Smile

I put those speakers in as they were an (almost) dead set drop in for the original speakers and no mods to the actual car itself were required. Plus I'm over the whole big system with sub phase. I CBF'd with that shit anymore. The only thing I'd consider installing now that would require a new mount would be maybe a small amp to power the rear speakers. That being said, I would like to eventually get a MP3 headunit, but yea, like the speakers that would be an almost drop in replacement for the current factory unit. On that topic, does anyone know where to get a wiring loom from if I needed one? I don't know how the wires are attached to the back of the factory headunit as I havn't pulled it out for a look yet.

And yea, I know what you mean by the pros. Back when I had the old corolla, I did the speakers/amp/sub myself, but when I got a CD headunit, at the time I was a bit iffy about it, so I got some pros to install it.

Ended up with a cut in the dash that was visible out from the side of the unit. Someone cut a little too far.
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Now I know how to change camry speakers. Thu, 24 February 2005 10:56 Go to previous message
Well if you dont like the subs, you should get rid of the 6x9s and put some nice morel or rainbow splits etc in the front and get the a perfect tune for soundstage and imaging, the 6x9s will be useless then, screw the rear passengers they can hear the front.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Alloy Wheel Repairs and Painting.
Next Topic:Ricer? Is it.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 03:25:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047528743743896 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.