Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Celica offset?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Celica offset? Thu, 24 February 2005 15:36 Go to next message
I've read the stuff on offset and googled it and stuff...so I pretty much know what it means...I guess I just want to know from you guys though, specifically...if I were to change my stock ST184 wheels which I think are 14 x 6.5? to wheels that are 16 x 7...what sort of offset would I be looking for...? I'm assuming it's not going to change much from the stock 38? (positive..?) so yeah...am I correct in this assumption...and does offset make a huge difference...like...say I got a set of wheels with an offset of +50...would that make much of a difference...? Anyway...any comments would be appreciated...thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Celica offset? Thu, 24 February 2005 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd be interested to know too. Actually what would you do with your stock wheels if you replaced them and are they the same as mine (1992 - 1993)?

Do you have any un-scuffed wheels? I'm looking for maybe two replacement wheels, my spare alloy has a scratch in the middle and one of my alloys on the car has a small edge scrape. I'm really meticulous about this sort of thing.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Celica offset? Thu, 24 February 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes offset does make a difference - too much and your tyre might rub on the strut, too little and it might rub on the guard. Going to a wider rim will also add to these potential problems.

If you've googled and searched, then you probably know that the offset is the distance from the mounting surface of the rim to the rim centreline. Here's a diagram that explains it quite well:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/macca_1972/offset.gif

All FWD Celicas have an offset of +39. If you go to a higher positive offset (like the +50 you are considering) then it will move the inner sidewall 11mm (50-39) closer to the struts. And going to a wider rim will move it even closer again. Of course, going to a smaller positive offset (or even a negative one) will have the opposite effect & cause potential rubbing issues with the guard instead.

The other thing that offset will affect is the track width (the distance across an axle line from one rim centreline to the other). Whatever change in offset you make, the track width will alter by double that amount (since it is performed on both sides of the vehicle). Using the example of going to a +50 offset again, your track width will now be 22mm narrower than before. This is where you need to check your state regs carefully and make sure you are still legal. In QLD for instance you are allowed to increase your track by up to 26mm (ie 13mm per side), but you are not allowed to reduce it at all. (And why would you want to anyway, tyres sitting further under the guards don't look as good!) So this means you could fit rims with an offset up to 13mm less than 39 and be OK, but fitting rims with an offset greater than 39 would decrease your track width and be illegal.

I fitted 7th gen Celica SX rims (15x6.5", 205/55 rubber) to my ST162, so the offset was the same and was not a problem. However the extra half an inch rim width did mean that the front tyres did rub the guards during hard cornering - even with no change in offset. I rolled the guards and have had no problems since then. I think the best advice is to keep the offset as close to stock as possible, and not go over!

Sorry for the wordy post, hope it helps.

-Matt
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: Celica offset? Fri, 25 February 2005 14:21 Go to previous message
Thanks a lot for that...the guys said the offset could be about 20cm..? or like...between 10 and 20...I thought that sounded really strange...but I don't know...I guess I'll just try them on and see...what do you reckon of these..? Anyway, thanks for your help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:LOOKING FOR ....Steve-AE86
Next Topic:pros / cons of different turbo setups:
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 23:11:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051100254058838 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.