Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Wed, 23 February 2005 07:29 Go to next message
this is a corona mark 2 (MX13 - MX23) diff FAQ; with pics

these diffs are a suitable swap for a early Celica ie. RA28 or RA40 stc. and probly other early RWD cars too.

The reason I write this is because before I bought my mkII diff, I knew none of this stuff and had to PM people to get answers. hopefuly I can help some people by posting up this info and pics. ......i was sick of reading through endless threads to find hard facts/ info

the corona mark 2 diff can be found in a MX13 - MX23 corona mk II, be sure to check the build plate that it is actually a "F" series diff (code will be something like F302 or something)

these diffs share the same centre as a MA61 supra and are available for them

specifications
axle: 27 spline
width: 1410 mm wide, hub face to hub face
stud pattern: 4 x 114.3 PCD. (same as Celica)
ratio: will have a look soon

differences to ra40 diff
the differences I have found between the mkII diff and the Celica diff are;
-top trailing arms are spaced further apart than the Celica ones. About 7.5mm wider on each side with rough tape measure measurements.
-the mkII diff has the coil spring seat on the trailing arm (see pic) wheras the Celica has the seat on the diff itself
- the bottom trailing arm bracket is wider and totally different so it has to come off

In general, to swap this into a Celica you will have to swap the 2 lower and 2 upper trailing arms brackets with the Celica ones. Just by *looking *, it seems that the panhard rod mount on the diff will be suitable for the Celica.

Tailshaft: if you grab the mkII tailshaft you will have a perfect tailshaft Rolling Eyes , mkII flanged on one end and the other end to suit a W40/W50.......not quiet, from my observations the tailshaft will need to be shortened by around 2 inches or so.
If anybody wants more measurements or photos just ask
here are the pics;

corona diff
http://img157.exs.cx/img157/3668/mkiidiff4ls.jpg

if anybody has anything to add...add it

brett

[Updated on: Sun, 27 March 2005 10:16]

Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona Mk2 diffs need to be left on Corona Mk2s.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahaha I was waiting for that. Razz
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diff ratios on the 2 I have are 3.9 the build plate showed them as F312.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 18:36

thats about all they are good for Razz

yes i think mine are 3.9:1 ratios too

brett
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

thats about all they are good for

You mean, thats all that's worth having from them Razz j/k

brettcelicacoupe: Do you have some scales that you could weigh the diff on (without trailing arms) for comparison? I didn't get to weigh mine before fitting in my corolla, but I know it was a lot easier to lift than a hilux diff.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

no thay should be replaced with hilux diffs and then sold off to celica owners with poofy torqueless engines
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 03:36

Laughing

But if its not going to be left there since its out , please sell me the axles to replace my twisted ones Laughing
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 23 February 2005 22:56

no thay should be replaced with hilux diffs and then sold off to celica owners with poofy torqueless engines

i was told that they handle plenty of power/torque ....well at least that of a 1ggte

i will weigh it possibly tomorow

brett
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If an F series diff can live for 2 years behind a 2JZ-GTE running 18psi, I don't think it can really be called weak...
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 23 February 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
even im goign to begin my conversion with an F series...i dont expect it to last when i hit the circuit, but when that comes to crunch ill let you know how tough they are. Im looking at a G series swap, but its a huge mofo job to swap the IRS in.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Thu, 24 February 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it 100% true that the corona RT141 disks and callipers will go straight onto a mkII diff??

is there any mods involved??

brett
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep the RT discs will fit but you will also need the RT bearing retainer due to the thickness difference between the MX23 drum backing plate and the RT caliper mount.

Ohh and AFAIK only the MX23 has an F diff, the earlier ones have E series diffs and they suck Mad

You might want to measure the outside diameter of the banjo housing. Cos I picked up a diff out of a MX23, it had F312 on the compliance plate but it turned out to be an E series, Obviously tranferred there from some celica owner after a F series diff. So yet GT, all MX23 diffs should remain attached to MX23's.....until of course they get to a wrecking yard, in which case they should find their way to my celica Razz
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice pics etc. Obviously I'm wrestling with the thought of knowing that Corona Mk2s are being wrecked.

MX10/12/22 had E series diffs. MX13 and 23 had F series.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know how you feel, I got all emotional and shed a tear the other day when I saw 3 RA28's at pnp. Sad

Or it could have been dust in my eye from trying to remove another E series centre from a cressida Mad
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yep. My two MX13's both had F312 diffs, one was auto, the other manual.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the MX13 diff + diff centre i have are both F series

i paid $100 for all that stuff.....diff + centre + t/shaft + spare axle

also, what is the banjo housing??? i will know what it is, just need to put names to parts Embarassed

brett

[Updated on: Wed, 19 October 2005 10:46]

TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Fri, 25 February 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah pnp only have ghosts of former ra28's.

they seriously need more old schoolers in there for us all.

i had to buy half my dash from Celica Spares...pffft $120 fot glovebox surround and lower dash trim that holds the fuse box.

but as the guy said "You just bought rocking horse sh*t, there as rarae as to find in good nick"

but he had it so whom i to complain.

F series diff mmmmmmmmm

*pulls out grinder* time to kill another corona. MUHAHAHHA

Nathan
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess a picture of said Corona mkII is too much to ask for..

It would make searching wreckers yards more useful..

Climbing 3 levels of cars to check build plates is great exercise. I'd rather not.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boudan wrote on Sat, 26 February 2005 21:19

I guess a picture of said Corona mkII is too much to ask for..

It would make searching wreckers yards more useful..

Climbing 3 levels of cars to check build plates is great exercise. I'd rather not.

http://img237.exs.cx/img237/4774/wtfdrift4da.jpg
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Thu, 24 February 2005 23:12

Nice pics etc. Obviously I'm wrestling with the thought of knowing that Corona Mk2s are being wrecked.

Heres another thought for you Gt , i will buy a that $300 one in the trading post for a axle {and put the twisted one back in it } you can have the rest of the car ? that way you can sleep at night with the thought you saved another one Very Happy . I just don't have the room with a ae86 a week being crashed into wrecks in this side of town Sad .

That guy in your signature at the bottom of your post does he wreck corona's ? i could also pm him i guess Laughing
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...thats a coupe, and there is sedans too. thats where i got mine from.

i did see a mx13 coupe in townsville the other day too
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've seen something similar, except the rear end was leaf sprung - I couldnt figure out what it was.. It was a corona with "X series" ? stickers down the side.. Coupe with snazy black leather seats.. engine was 2t but dont quote me on that..

Puzzeled...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Probably a Corona XX, which has a plain old Corona (not a MkII) with some snazzy extras. They were available as a 2-door.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what motor did the corona XX's have??
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Not sure on the engine, sorry to get off-topic... Very useful info !! thanks brett!
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sat, 26 February 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm just thought of a adittion for your sig Allan.

"Only the sexually stunted drive Supras"

LOL

celica owners are sexually challenged...BWAHAHA

/end pointless rant
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 02 March 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay,

today i weighed the corona mkII diff (the one in the pic)

It came out to 58kg + or - 3kg due to using dodgey bathroom scales.

it didnt have on it;
-trailing arms and panhard rod
-wheels
-handbrake cable

it did have on it;
-was full of oil
-drums were on it

brett
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 02 March 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It came out to 58kg + or - 3kg due to using dodgey bathroom scales.

Thanks for that
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Wed, 02 March 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reckon you could cut off about 5kg or so using the rt141 disk setup.

much lighter than the hilux ones, i read they were like 85kg or sumthin

brett
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics Sun, 13 March 2005 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay,
i pulled one of my RA40 diffs apart and measured the axle.....so:

corona markII
minimum (weakest point), axle diameter = 27mm
spline = 27 teeth

RA40
minimum (weakest point), axle diameter = 23mm
spline = 23 teeth

i will have pictures in the next 1/2 hour or so
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here are the photos

these 1st two are comparing ra40 and mkII axles
it it obvious which is the mkII axle Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
http://img216.exs.cx/img216/5083/mkiiaxlera401rp.jpg

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/4083/mkiiaxlera409cg.jpg

these photos are comparing the diff's themselves
MK II diff is the "rustier" one with the mounts cut off
http://img216.exs.cx/img216/5554/mkiidiffra4023fp.jpg

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/8738/mkiidiffra4038ns.jpg

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/704/mkiidiffra409ei.jpg

here is another interesting fact

corona mk II tailshaft fits (unmodified) onto a "T" (RA40 at least) series diff. the front uni. also fits straight into a W5*

this would be good for somebody chasing a 1-piece tailshaft
although for a RA40 (probly the same as a xA23/28) it needs to shortened about 2 inches (best to see 4 ureself)

http://img216.exs.cx/img216/1410/mkiitshaftra406zc.jpg

brett
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and just to throw a little bit of extra info in here....

I just went and dodgy measured my RN41 hilux axles...

30 Spline
30-31mm diameter (only had a ruler sorry - some bastard stole my vernier calipers)

This kind of gives an indication of why they are considered "unbreakable". If i can get a chance to weigh mine before i post it off, i will do just that and post it up.

Brett, VERY useful information you have here.

A QUESTION, IF I MAY:
I had thought that the MX23 diffs were 1390mm face to face, and not 1410mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Using the RT142 corona rear discs (or ST141) - is the width affected much/at all. Reason is i am still considering my options for the RA28, and would like to retain my dishy Simmons which dont have too much room to go outwards. Thus staying closer to the RA28 width of 1380mm is preferable.

Can anyone comment/confirm? Anthony, Joel??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely 1410mm.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
POO POO!!!

**walks back to drawing board.....**

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup I can confirm that Smile hence having +34mm offset wheels on the rear now which still scrub.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 19:21

and just to throw a little bit of extra info in here....

I just went and dodgy measured my RN41 hilux axles...

30 Spline
30-31mm diameter (only had a ruler sorry - some bastard stole my vernier calipers)

This kind of gives an indication of why they are considered "unbreakable". If i can get a chance to weigh mine before i post it off, i will do just that and post it up.

Brett, VERY useful information you have here.

A QUESTION, IF I MAY:
I had thought that the MX23 diffs were 1390mm face to face, and not 1410mm. Can anyone confirm this?

Using the RT142 corona rear discs (or ST141) - is the width affected much/at all. Reason is i am still considering my options for the RA28, and would like to retain my dishy Simmons which dont have too much room to go outwards. Thus staying closer to the RA28 width of 1380mm is preferable.

yes, i would like to kno about the corona disk conversion offset too

thanx

brett

[Updated on: Sun, 13 March 2005 11:45]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Sun, 13 March 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Wouldn't know, don't own an F series diff Sad

Quote:

yes, i would like to know about the corona disk conversion offset too

Makes SFA difference to total width. While the backing plates are thicker to support the caliper (not dust cover in drums), this does not change the total width as the axles do not move.

The front of the disk is roughly the same thickness as the drum, so this will have little if any effect.

Incidently, since i am going to be moving and having a garage sale soon, if anyone here is interested, I have a set of RT discs, calipers and axles/bearing retainers for a conversion. they will bolt onto a T series or MX23 diff and all you need to sort out is a handbrake cable and brake lines.

Probably asking $80 for them.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Mon, 14 March 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to clarify something else; mark II tailshaft is 40mm longer than the celica ra40/28/23 tailshafts.

gold28 wrote on Mon, 14 March 2005 10:17

Incidently, since i am going to be moving and having a garage sale soon, if anyone here is interested, I have a set of RT discs, calipers and axles/bearing retainers for a conversion. they will bolt onto a T series or MX23 diff and all you need to sort out is a handbrake cable and brake lines.

Probably asking $80 for them.

may be interested, depending on how far away you are (i dont know city in your sig.)

do u have pictures of these items....for the sake of the MK.II diff thread

also what specifications are they??
thicknes, diameter, pistons etc.

thanks

brett

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Mon, 14 March 2005 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in Sydney.

I will drag them out sometime in the next couple of days and take photos/measurments. basically they are a solid disc, largish in diameter, smallish pad size and internal drum handbrake. 4*114 stud pattern and bolt up to a T/E/F series diff with same stud pattern
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Wed, 16 March 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is the corona RT141 brake info for ya.

Disk Diameter = 280mm
Disk thickness = 9mm (solid)
Pads are approx 100x30mm
Single Piston, approx 40mm diameter
Internal Drum handbrake didn't measure diameter but who really cares about that anyway.

Not the most impressive of brake setups but they are easy to work on and pretty much hassal free (unlike) the XE falcon discs I had to pull apart last weekend, what a shocker of an engineering effort that is.

And you they will bolt up to the MX23 F series axle, also a T series and an E series (provided they are the same stud pattern). You will need to sort out handbrake cables. i have the corona ones but i have not tried to fit them into the celica so I can't comment. Also the solid brake lines on the diff housing need to cut and flared to accept the caliper hose.

Anyhow here are some photos

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nez_tony/IM001273.JPG
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nez_tony/IM001274.JPG
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/nez_tony/IM001275.JPG
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* new pics and specs Wed, 16 March 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, sweet,

thanks for that

brett
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Sun, 27 March 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 11:09]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Mon, 28 March 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welding the mounts onto the diff housing puts a lot of heat into it. This will cause the housing to distort and you will end up with wheels pointed in different directions.

My advice would be to ditch the rod and use some box section steel. This is what I did and ended up with only about 1mm of movement in the axles. If I get a chance this afternoon, I will post some pics of my jig.

The axle tubes can be straightened if they end up bending, but you are better to avoid that mess if you can.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Mon, 28 March 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

thanks for that gold28

i dont quite understand what you mean about box steel....are you talking about replacing the 12mm rod on the jig or what?? Confused

anyway just to clarify my plan;
1. make the jig...it bolts onto the 2 holes at the end of the diff...and holds the mounts in the right position in relation to the outside holes(4 on the end)

2. cut the mounts off the T series diff and grind the curves out to the origional radius.

3. bolt the mounts (the ones that were just cut off) to the jig

the jig will hold the mounts in the right spacing from the end and also hold them in the right rotational position

4. then, the jig (with mounts attached) will be bolted onto the F series diff (via 2 of the holes on the end) .....and *theoretically, the mounts will be sitting on the F series diff in the same configuration as they were on the T series diff.

5. then i will weld the mounts that were cut off the T series diff onto the F series diff....and the jig will kindly hold the mounts in posi when i weld them.

thanks

brett
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Mon, 28 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The process sounds fine, here is a photo of my jig.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gold28/images/extras/IM000212.JPG
As you can see, it is pretty sturdy. The jig picks up on two studs on the centre part of the housing and also two bolts on the end of either axle tube. This ensured that the housing remained straight. The rest should be pretty obvious.

here is the finished item, as you can see, I played around with the lower mount a little and moved the shock mount a little lower so I didn't have to worry about pruchasing short stroke shocks

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gold28/images/extras/IM000250.JPG

best of luck with it.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Mon, 28 March 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah yes, i understand Smile

so you *made* your mounts instead of chopping them off an old "T" series diff

i might do that instead.

i might remake my jig as well i think Sad ........make a full length, solid one

thanks for that gold28

brett
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Mon, 28 March 2005 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cutting and reusing the mounts off a T series is fine when you are putting them onto a G series as teh axle tubes are a lot bigger. The F series axle tubes aren't much bigger than the T series so it is really difficult to get them off without damaging them too much. I wanted to change the lower mounts anyway, so it was easy for me to refabricate the upper ones.

The seam down the middle was just because it was easier for me to make them that way.

My jig didn't have a mount for the pan hard rod as I originally wanted to install a Watts Link. After bolting the diff in however I decided it was too much effort to modify the tank, exhaust and make another chassis mount so I just put the pan hard mount back on.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Wed, 03 August 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE

ive made a full length jig out of 2 x 4 box steel and it seems all good

one question - are the axle tubes going to distort when i weld the new mounts on??

any tips would be good

brett
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Fri, 05 August 2005 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is my jig - as below.

so ill ask my question again - will the axle tubes distort when i weld it?? any tips for doing this??

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4227/jig00328lg.jpg

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/6132/jig00333hi.jpg
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Fri, 19 August 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier Bret, I don't have much in the way of internet access at the moment so it kinda makes things a little difficult.

The jig looks great.

Wether the axle tubes bend much depends a lot on who/how it is welded together. Try not to spend too much time welding in one place. Otherwise you will put too much heat into the tubes and streatch the metal. Mine moved about 1-2mm from the centre to the ends of the tubes, resulting in barely measurable changes in camber and toe. Tyeing in the ends of the axle tubes as you have done will help a lot with restraining any movement.

If it does bend more than you are happy with, you can apply heat with an oxy torch to streatch the opposite side but my preference is to do it right first time and not have to patch things up after.

Your jig should give you a good indication of how much movement you have, ie can you fit the bolts back in the axle tubes. if not a straight edge along the tubes will show up any significant bends.

Best of luck.

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: corona mark 2 diff FAQ; with pics *update* photos of my jig Sun, 21 August 2005 03:18 Go to previous message
thanks for that gold28 Smile

yes i think with a plate bolted to each end of the axle tube , AND that flat plate bolted to the diff centre mounting face, it shouldn't move anything significant.

thanks for replying anyway

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:head gaskets and engine rebuild
Next Topic:20v gze?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 22:41:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092148780822754 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.