Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
rb20 vs iggte Sun, 27 February 2005 09:18 Go to next message
i was asked this question.
which would b better the rb20 6cyl or the iggte, not standard but with the same sorta mods?

i stood there with a blank face and was like Embarassed ahhh yeah i dunno.

thought somebody might be able to help out n say something.

also i didnt know if this was meant to go in the tech section or not?

cheers
-jeff
  Send a private message to this user    
XiL3D
Regular

April 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Sun, 27 February 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which one is toyota... the 1g, need i say more....? Laughing

but seriously good q, anyone actually know?
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Sun, 27 February 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd guess the 1G-GTE would be better.
subsonicaudio
Regular

July 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Sun, 27 February 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte all the way..OH WHAT A FEELING
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rb20 vs iggte Sun, 27 February 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, 1G for sure. It also has the advantage of being significantly smaller and lighter.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only advantages i can see for the RB20 over the 1GGTE is that it is already single turbo and aftermarket parts are more easily available, but now with the high amount of GZ20's and GA70's coming into the country there are a crapload of second hand turbo kits for the 1G Smile

RB20's have poorly designed turbos, their gearbox snap rather easily, and they make as much tourque as thier 4 cylinder counterpart the SR20, far from a perfect engine...

1G POWAZ! Very Happy
h3ff44
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah!
fair enough well know i know.
but yeah... cool thanx
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also, dont 1G's have shims and buckets, compared to the ghey rocker arms in the RB20???
that would be reason enough for the 1G i thought.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys need to try and be a little less bias... and you need to work on your facts Smile

Just a few little points - Rb20 doesn't have rocker arms. It is also physically smaller and lighter than the 1G, and produces more power and revs higher stock for stock. The turbo and gearbox are hardly "weak" either. Gearbox is similar to the W58 in strength. It's the same gearbox that's behind the VL turbo. The turbo IS ceramic wheel, so it will shit itself beyond about 15psi. If you're going for that sort of boost you're beyond it's efficiency range anyway, so you should probably change regardless. You'll probably find there is also a wider range of aftermarket parts available for the RB20, and it will definitely work out cheaper to mod seriously.

Now if we're gunna start picking faults with engines, don't even get me started on the 1G. Smile

Having said all that, the 1G is still probably a better candidate for an engine swap, simple because putting toyota into a toyota is always going to be easier than putting a nissan into a toyota. Which engine is "better" is another story altogether Razz

I do love my toyota's, but I admit it when there's a better engine about. Sadly the noble 1G just doesn't stand up to the RB.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^

Shhhhhhh, dont tell anyone that, this is a blatant attempt at slinging some shit at nissans Razz let the 1G have its moment in the sun, after all we still have the JZ series engines Very Happy
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Now the JZ series is a very different mattter!
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting, I was having an argument with a mate about the RB26DETT vs. the 2JZ-GTE. Then this turned into an argument about a 1JZ-GTE vs. 2JZ-GTE and RB26DETT. The differences stock are obvious, with displacement, but how much difference in power, torque and rev range is still evident after large single turbo conversions, fuel system upgrades and tuning? Sorry to hijack the thread.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
--jorsh--
the literature i have says that the RB26 is the only RB that has buckets and shims. the RB20 uses hydraulic lifters, the same as the RB25. in a recent 20 build up, they had to keep cam choices to those with lift below 8.8 mm, as that is the maximum that the hydraulic lifter system will allow.

i am quite happy to be wrong, but i dont think i am at this point. feel free to shoot me down hardcore now Razz
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GO TOYOTA !!! WOOT
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Mon, 28 February 2005 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh wrote on Tue, 01 March 2005 00:03

Now the JZ series is a very different mattter!

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Wink
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Tue, 01 March 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d:

Yup, you're dead right. The RB20DET uses hydraulic lifters - but this isn't a bad thing. It's the rocker arms that are homo. The SR20DET uses rocker arms AND hydraulic lifters, where as the RB20DET doesn't use rocker arms.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for clearing that up joorsh, much appreciated.Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joorsh,

The RB20 is the same size as an RB25/26/30 (apart from deck height), which is similar in dimensions to the JZ series engines. I've had a friend's VL turbo parked next to my Supra and there's very little difference in size. So I stand by my comment that the 1G is smaller and lighter.

The same friend broke his VLT gearbox and replaced it with an RB20DET box. I saw them both and they're nowhere near the same; the RB20 box was noticeably smaller and obviously weaker since it started making bearing noise within a couple of weeks.

The R32 RB20DET is rated at 210ps, same as the comparable 1G. The 1G develops its power and torque at higher revs than the RB20, which suggests to me the 1G is the revvier engine stock for stock (not that that's necessarily a good thing). Don't know about stock redline but that's not as relevant.

I know I'm Toyota biased but the 1G has the upper hand here IMO.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbs: The VLT gearbox and the RB20DET gearbox are the same part, I'm positive. They even have exactly the same part number. Maybe it was an RB20DE gearbox you put in instead of an RB20DET? The DE gearbox is very weak and gHey. Or maybe is wasn't a standard VL box?

As for the power figures, I've found about three different sources for it so far, and they are all within about 5kw of eachother, and they all agree:

1G-GZE 127kW
1G-GTE 149kW

RB20DET 160kW

Taken from "http://f2.autospeed.com/cms/A_0206/article.html" in this case.

The closest comparison I found was on http://www.ichiban.com.au/ichiban_engines.htm, and there the RB is still quoted at a higher figure. For the sake of objectivity, I only quoted pages that listed both RB and 1G power figures. It would be a simple matter to trawl the web looking for people quoting ridiculous stock power figures for the RB, and then comparing it to someone who has drastically under-quoted the 1G's power.

I'm also aware that there are three (that I know of) different versions of the 1G-GTE, and the same again for the RB20DET engines. When comparing the newest or oldest evolution of both engines, the RB still out-performs the 1G. The fact that I own, drive and thoroughly enjoy my toyota also go to proving my point that I am being objective about this. I'm afraid the figures just speak for themsleves.

As for the weight issues, I haven't weighed both engines side by side, so I can't say this for certain. All I can say is that they are both cast block, alloy head, twin cam 2 litre straight sixes. As such, should both weigh in at reasonably similar weights. However, I have seen the mess of cast plumbing that the 1G comes with from the factory. This extra plumbing and the fact that it also has an additional turbo, and an extra dump on the exhaust means it should weight slightly more, and occupy slightly more physical space. I'm trying to find some figures on engine weights now, and I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if you can show me some accurate figures to the contrary.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was under the impression the VL turbo motors were 3 litre ?????
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then the statement above my earlyer post is incorrect
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arent gen 3 1g's 160kw?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
210 hp i dunno how to convert in to kw
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes GenIII 1G's are around the 160kW mark, or more accurately 210ps. The R32 RB20DET (same era) is also 210ps. Obviously earlier 1G's make less power but I was trying to compare like with like.

And yes I'm quite sure this was an RB20DET gearbox, and it's not at all the same part. The VLT gearboxes are highly sought after because they're one of the strongest RB boxes around short of the GTR boxes. They're getting hard to come by these days which is why you frequently see RB20DET boxes going into VL's.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rb20 vs iggte Wed, 02 March 2005 11:21 Go to previous message
the rb20 is huge compared to a 1g, not even in the same ballpark
as far as physical dimensions are concerned, rb20s are an ok motor, but really have nothing going for it over a 1g
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:defecting crackdown in campbelltown today
Next Topic:some nice pics
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 20:34:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11973094940186 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.