Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 22:59 Go to next message
Hiya all,
For those that are unaware, the beast is featured in the latest issue of SPEED...p 52. A couple tech blunders but overall a good article and the images are great. Enough tech there to warrent a post to the forum i think Smile

They missed a few thankyous that should have been included, especially Simon my fabricater mate, Mos the wiring master, Jack who helped with the last minute Dubbo assembly panic and Mitch who helped me drag the car back from Vic in the 1st place on a mega road trip.

Now i just have to find the time to get the ast fine tuning done and start getting some real performance out of the thing.
  Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually bought the magazine simply because your car was in it. To tell you the truth after reading the rest of the mag I feel a little dirty now.

You really should list the info about the 2.4 stroker in the othe GT4 you're selling. Reminds me of the story on Rod's TA22 which apparently had a forged stroker crank in the 4A according to the mag story.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well you get that. It was an easy mistake as we were talking tech details all day and those facts actually relate to a mates car which has a JUN stroker kit and after we tuned it a coupla weeks back now puts out a touch over 320kw at the wheels..wild.

Overall a pretty good result as far as these articles go though, i'm happy with the result and over the moon about the pics.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I saw it, very nice dude. Easton Chang is a good photographer, But i think, he shows it off too much, I didnt see a standing shot of the whole car, like, what wheels you had etc.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easton is a great bloke and very focused. I guess he has talent and wants to do something different? I'm sure he wanted another 20 shots to go in the article as there would have been that many worth showing but it's the layout guy that determines what fits where so you can't have it all.

No the mag is out i'm getting the rest of the shots from Easton so there's enough to warrent a bit of a web page. I'll post the site once i find time to set it all up.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet! I've gotta drag my arse down to the local newsagency now!
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Justen,

I noticed the mag and the article was pretty good, although I was surprised at your white stroker !!!!!

I have told many people at work about the car and they are flabbergasted.

The pics looked good and don't really do justice to what you and your mate actually achieved and to top it off it is Engineered and registered legally.

Gotta get up to Chez Simpson soon and catch up

Cheers

michael B

PS I'll phone soon to chat about the trip
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 09 December 2004 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 10 December 2004 10:12

Oh well you get that. It was an easy mistake as we were talking tech details all day and those facts actually relate to a mates car which has a JUN stroker kit and after we tuned it a coupla weeks back now puts out a touch over 320kw at the wheels..wild.

Overall a pretty good result as far as these articles go though, i'm happy with the result and over the moon about the pics.

320 at the wheels in a GT4 is unbelievable grunt. That would be a scary thing to drive even with the four wheel drive. I didn't know there was a commercially available 2.4 stroker kit for the 3S, do you know what the bore and stroke are on it?

The pics did turn out really good and the article on your car was by far the best part of the magazine. It was good to see some more pics of the car getting driven. I was so dissapointed not to see it driving at Toyota Nats.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, with 320kw at the wheels it is a handful. Scariest dyno runs i have ever seen on a dynojet. Even in 5th it pulls from 100 to 200kph in the blink of an eye...seriously pins you into the seat type acceleration.

Jun do a kit but best off to check their site for the stats. Hell expensive as you would expect. The cheaper option is to go with the 5S crank which is plenty strong enough and a much cheaper option.

The thing about the JUN kit that i find very impressive is that even with the extra stroke it still revs better than stock. This is a serious motor mind you but hearing a 3S hit 8300rpm is something and there was more left if you really wanted every last bit of hp or used wilder cams.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HEhe - go justen!

got to get the mag this week to see how the shots went ( remember you mentioning to me it was going in there )

Mine comes back from the brake upgrade this week - looking forward to having bigger better brakes up front before i start saying " justen i need X info on turbo/fuel setups for mine !"
( ps i found some 540cc injectors - know anyone who wants a gen3 fuel rail ?)

As for 320KW atw in your mates Gt4 - that thing would be insane to have a ride in !

IS he in canberra as well , if so - im planning to pass thru that way for dyno day in jan if i can swing the time off - and id love yto see your red, your white and his white setups !

* PS - ot - but do you still have a copy of the engine number for the block i got off you - need it for rego down here ! - PM me PLZ if you do! *
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stu,
Nah mate that car is in Texas....we tuned it at Alamo in Dallas, man that workshop has some nice cars.

Mate you should be able to read the engine number in the car, either that or it should be on the manual i sent down.

drop me an email off list as i've got a turbo option you might be interested in.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill try to send an email justen - but your work one has been spitting back at me of late - hence why you prolly hadnt heard anything !

re the manual - must of got lost in the mail - as it never arrived Sad

ill have the AFM out soon - i guess i can dig thru the wires then + find it and nods - will msg you if it lets me re turbo and what to budget for ..

Still keen to see nathan (?)'s white one anyhew !
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,

Sorry to hijack, but I was wondering since you guys have probably all modified your intake and stuff, does anyone have a spare of what toyota call the 'Air Bypass Valve' its a plastic valve with 4 hoses coming from it, it sits on a bracket on the firewall along with the turbo pressure sensor.

the 2 smaller vacuum lines run along the firewall to the drivers side where they plug into the A/C VSV.

My one is stuffed and cant run my A/C in this heat cause the valve doesnt allow for idle up.... Confused

ill pay for all postage and whatever reasonable cost for the part, just wanna be able to run my A/C without having to hold the throttle open a bit manually, help! Smile
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Justen good onya mate.Saw the mag yesterday but havent been paid yet, buyt its on my list,Had a flick through and it looks great. The whitey for sale is the 185/205 hybrid right?mmmm, id give my left arm,leg and teste for that one. Hopefully i can just win the lottery hey?! Anyway mate, keep up the good work and get those other pics up ASAP.

Congrats again, Stu
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Congratulations Justen, it's good to see that well-engineered home-grown cars like yours still make it into mags every now and then. I usually make a point of not buying mags like Speed, but since your car is in it I'm going to have to grab me a copy. Great work, you can be proud of your efforts! Smile
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Fri, 10 December 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oi-go away. I don't want to share the title of creating strangest car/engine combination on Toymods, and I was here first!

On a serious note however, If this is the car of which I'm thinking (red one?)-Very impressive indeed my friend. As people often say to me when they they see the crown "where the hell did that freaked out idea come from?", and what made you think it would all fit?

Considering my 1400kg crown with the turbo 1FZ-FE ran a 11.04@125 on 14psi with 281rwkW (not launched either-1.8 sec 60 ft time-rather casual) and should go 10.80-10.70 If I actually stall it up off the line, your (fantastic) 4.0L turbo celica (1300kg or so??) with 320rwkW should go into the 10's quite easily. You had a go yet?

I think I need to buy me a copy of that mag now......

Take it easy dude
Sean
Adelaide
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Sat, 11 December 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got the mag Justen, looks awesome. Well done again.

Silverghost : I have a spare Air Bypass valve which came with my JDM engine. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Paul.
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Sat, 11 December 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I saw this thread and 5 minutes later I was down at the local servo buying my copy of speed!

Congrats on such an awesome individual beast! Its good to see my ol gt4 breathing again! Its come back a much wilder beast!

So will it be making an appearance at the Toyota Nationals in 2005? I should be there and would love to see it in the flesh!

[Updated on: Sat, 11 December 2004 11:14]

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Sat, 11 December 2004 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh - your old Gt4 is making 2 monsters necros Wink

just mines a mini monster compared to justens
Necros
Regular

September 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Sun, 12 December 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will have to take a look at your beast soon stuart! My 4a-gte will be running mid january, so I wouldnt mind comparing my old beasts heart to my new one!
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Sun, 12 December 2004 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, i build what i like but always good to hear that they appeal to others.

Sean, that's an impressive time mate. The TT only has 265rwkw on 6.5 psi at present and in that form laid down a wheelspinning 13.5@180ish kph. Traction is a major issue but once sorted the current hp level will put in deep into the 12's. I intend running around 12psi in the near future so 11's should be in the bag and a 10 isn't beyond the realms of possibility but it will be a tough challenge with the current suspension setup.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 14 December 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got the mag today during my wait at the airport. Nicely done. Should have gotten to the CCG dyno day earlier methinks.
Should i be scanning it? Or just let people buy the mag?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 14 December 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would love to see scans, but if Justen would rather not, that's cool.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 14 December 2004 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate that's your call...i neither object or endorse scanning of the article as i have no idea of the copywrite issues involved.
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 14 December 2004 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scan Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i have no idea about the legalities contained within./ So i will scan it but refrain from posting ituntil i heaer back from the board. As for the EPA bit im curious about that. Care to provide some more details? Ive been told sofar that i need a CO reading, and thats about it. Opinion?

Also im guessing you went through John Wilson for the engineering?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont scan it. The magazine and the contents within are the intellectual and creative properties of the magazine/publishers/writers/photographers - there would be potential rammifications if you were to do so and post it up.

That said though - if Justen has copies of the pictures given to him by the magazine, i am lead to believe that he can do whatever he likes with them. If that means hosting them online or getting someone to host them for him, so be it. But scanning the magazine is not cool.

Just buy it guys, its only $9 or so....

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what i thought. I wonder if posting the title page as a "trailer" is illegal. Very cool that he got a full page spread on that one.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bought the magaizine today strictly cause of the Celica, very very nice man.

It's also not a bad mag either, I'd only been really reading Fast Fours & Motor up till now, Speed is a nice change!
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Takai,
Yup John was the man. Very helpful and although we didn't always agree on a approach we always worked something out to both our satisfactions.

For the ACT, yes, we only needed a CO reading....at idle and at cruise (80kph). I gave them a report with a few other bits and pieces but the engineer will tell you what he wants/needs.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Wed, 15 December 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Wed, 15 December 2004 18:17

Thats what i thought. I wonder if posting the title page as a "trailer" is illegal. Very cool that he got a full page spread on that one.

Mate the writers and publishers do these jobs for the purpose of making a living. Posting part of a current issue magazine so that people who are interested in that part of the magazine don't have to buy it seems like a fair violation of the writers IP. Feel free to contact the publisher of the magazine to ask permission to reproduce the content as per any reproduction of copywrite material.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 16 December 2004 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Thu, 16 December 2004 08:36

Takai,
Yup John was the man. Very helpful and although we didn't always agree on a approach we always worked something out to both our satisfactions.

For the ACT, yes, we only needed a CO reading....at idle and at cruise (80kph). I gave them a report with a few other bits and pieces but the engineer will tell you what he wants/needs.

OT justen is this only for ACT registered cars ?id like to get mine ticked and approved + i know the guys could tune it in to meet the right standards if given the right info

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 16 December 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stu,
Different states have different requirements so you'll have to check with your RTA to confirm.

A word of caution though. Bureaucracies being what they are, there is the law (legislation) and there is how it is applied (day to day business). They aren't always the same and they aren't always consistent from one day to the next.

If you have to front up then you do it being as prepared as you can be. Allowances are definitely made for a nice polite person who appears to know their shit. Attitude, bodgy work or catching the guy on a bad day are going to cost you.

Best approach is to stay well clear unless you have no choice.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 16 December 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must go and grab my copy now
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Thu, 16 December 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers for the advise justen - if they dont need to know - they dont need to know - as the saying goes ( or something akin to that .)
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Mon, 28 February 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just went to this website:
http://www.jdmstyletuning.com/news.html

And saw something familiar.

Were you aware of that Justen?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Mon, 28 February 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They stole the GT8! Bastards!!
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Mon, 28 February 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justen's car is famous!
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 01 March 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what isssue is it in ????
I bought it and these is no mention of it ????
is it in the march - april ????
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 01 March 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try january it's an old post Laughing
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 01 March 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's gayer than mardi gras.

I'll have to go steal it from the nuns now
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 01 March 2005 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's gayer than mardi gras.

I'll have to go steal it from the nuns now
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: The UZ185 makes SPEED Tue, 01 March 2005 03:27 Go to previous message
Almost as gay a double post
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Oil pressure sender question?
Next Topic:20v distributor cap/rotor button part number?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 22:24:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089797973632812 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.