Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Why A GT4???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DRFTGUY
Newcomer

March 2005
icon1.gif  Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:12 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I really want to know something i think i can find the answer here!
I was looking at buying a St186 GT4 [1990] for $10000 and a few others a dearer but when i read more about GT4's the more it puts me off. It seems like if you mod em up high-flow,f/m,exhaust,boost,etc and you would mod up an RS Libo with td05,f/m,exhaust,boost etc the Libo would go quicker, 1/4mile!
is the St186 that FAT???
how does the st186 gt4 handle compared to rs???
what would be a better option for circuit racing???

Cya guys thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
DRFTGUY
Newcomer

March 2005
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it's heavy, and it's st185 no idea how they go
and why? because it's bullet proof.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota in general make pretty porky cars (cue the dorifto bunnies to chime in)... the fact that an r32 GTR with 4wd is lighter than a mk3 supra highlights my point.
Add toyota porkiness to 4wd porkiness, and you're not gonna get a light car.

but the 3s-gte is a sweet as engine which will never break, and toyotas in general are unkillable, so you'd have a tough fast beast at the end
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRFTGUY wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 15:12

It seems like if you mod em up high-flow,f/m,exhaust,boost,etc and you would mod up an RS Libo with td05,f/m,exhaust,boost etc the Libo would go quicker, 1/4mile!

Don't buy a car based on performance in a straight line.

Base it on looks, options, comfort.

Everything else can be solved with money.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks, options, comfort.. the 3 things I care least about in a car Smile

it's all about speed, handling, and braking Smile
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atleast with a st185 u wont be braking gearboxes all the time once you make a little power out of em unlike a liberty rs.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 16:05

it's all about speed, handling, and braking Smile

Any car can have these attributes with enough money thrown at it.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but a Gt4 has them as standard items

as a stock car - they handle pretty damn nicely - ane brakes up to the task , and are brisk to drive - alot of fun - true GT style

They are not intended as a straight line machine - they are designed for corners - and lots of them ..

Buy one if you enjoy fanging thru the hills
buy a supra - if you want to be l@@t on the strip

Thats Gt4 in a nutshell - more details available if truely interested
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but the 3s-gte is a sweet as engine which will never break, and toyotas in general are unkillable, so you'd have a tough fast beast at the end
I'd like that to be rephrased cause my 3SGTE broke just fine Very Happy 3S-GTEs are strong in that if your replace the standard pistons (ex165/185/185RC)you can dial up the boost quite a bit p.v. you have the right engine management and cooling.

But if you're GT4/3SGTE has clocked up alot of kays without a really good service history then you could be in for a few surprises.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why A GT4??? Thu, 03 March 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
point noted Smile

Service history is important !

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 22:29

Quote:

I'd like that to be rephrased cause my 3SGTE broke just fine Very Happy

Yeah so did mine... but mine had a crack in it already. But they are very much an indestructible engine which is why they rally with them.

Also they make a damn fine (but a little squeezy) replacement engine for a RAV4 if you're in the market for one! Very Happy Cos now she's got some REAL boot!. Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shakes head* why me??? It had only done 130,000kays....

*waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh*
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just a point in the Subies favour (sorry guys I've now got a WRX engined car as well) but the ONLY time they break gearboxes is when you're ham fisted with them (ie 6000rpm clutch dumps, etc) & this'll break any 4wd gearbox, including the GT4 version.

The Liberty/Legacy is a lot more anonymous & has convenience of 4 doors or a wagon shape. But the first thing that needs to be changed is the radiator header tank.
The subie is better balanced stock: lower centre of gravity, less weight - but not much - in the front end, better balanced engine

(Now wait out for the flame outs....)
andyman
Regular

April 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD boy, dont worry same thing happened to my 3sgte mr2. had 95000km on the clock (not sure if its true) and i cracked my pistons...just getting it back on the road after 8 months of waiting Confused
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 12:52

Just a point in the Subies favour (sorry guys I've now got a WRX engined car as well) but the ONLY time they break gearboxes is when you're ham fisted with them (ie 6000rpm clutch dumps, etc) & this'll break any 4wd gearbox, including the GT4 version.

The Liberty/Legacy is a lot more anonymous & has convenience of 4 doors or a wagon shape. But the first thing that needs to be changed is the radiator header tank.
The subie is better balanced stock: lower centre of gravity, less weight - but not much - in the front end, better balanced engine

(Now wait out for the flame outs....)

Symmetry = Balance
Balance = Handling
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 11:31

FWDboy wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 22:29

Quote:

I'd like that to be rephrased cause my 3SGTE broke just fine Very Happy

Yeah so did mine... but mine had a crack in it already. But they are very much an indestructible engine which is why they rally with them.

Also they make a damn fine (but a little squeezy) replacement engine for a RAV4 if you're in the market for one! Very Happy Cos now she's got some REAL boot!. Wink

I don't think you're 3SGTE is really a good example seeing as the previous owner did a VERY good job of smashing that engine (block, sump, timing case, etc. etc.)
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Fri, 04 March 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVERYBODY knows that the 3SGTE is a tough nut. Heck, they went in the Jun Supras for a while there.

It has an amazing reuptation for being super tough if looked after with any sort of common decency. Problem with toyota, is that people abuse the privilege of a tough motor, and we have examples like Stephens.

A single motor being rallied from it's conception till toyota pulled out of WRC *sob* is saying something. If you want a tough motor, 3SGE.

Mum mum's centre diff died in the ass on the RX 2.5 NA liberty we have. poor.
toy.car
Regular

January 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Tue, 28 June 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi the rally guys still use the 3sgte in australia. they had some parts left from the ST205 Group A rally Celica, stuck it in a Roller and chase subbies on the weekends.

as for the gear box its strong i race my GT4 6000RPM lunch with no slip. Have done this for five years, gear box is FINE
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why A GT4??? Tue, 28 June 2005 03:42 Go to previous message
why dig up a old thread to make a point they isn't really that valid and not very literate
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Warning - Beware Fraudulent Trader!
Next Topic:looking to buy an 89' mrk2... anyone else own one?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 00:48:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072128772735596 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.