Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 10:15 Go to next message
G'day the Forum, I m interested to hear your opinion of an ideal car to achieve good 400m times for my favourite engine THE 1j.
I cant seem to go past Celica.Light [dont know,looks light] Streamlined [dont know,looks slippery] enough room in engine bay.[do know,checked readers rides.Very nice]
So,do you know something? Whats your ideal 1/4 blaster small six.I am sure this has all been done before but please humour us less knowledgable punters,we need to know what u know!
Cheers.Pete. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, rb26 stomps all over the 1j if you dont mind going more exxy and nissan.
and if you can go to 3.0L displacement, the 2j is a very similar size to the 1j.
RA28 celica is a relatively easy fit ("relatively" if you're making a serious dreag car) or the ae86 - it can be done, but will require more money and swearing.

depends on budget and competition restrictions (if there are any)
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lightest.... all out drag car.... KP61 or KE10.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies.I am a one eyed toyota supporter and vow to see 1j's beating all types of fancied competitors.[or die trying]
Oldcarollas,can a 1j fit?
Draven,Budget restrictions are immense but good sense and knowledge [why we are here] can overcome fools with large budgets.
So far,celica over ae86 because dont need cornering ability.
Anyone else?
Cheers.Pete. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 10:48]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T18?

i wouldnt worry too much about anything fitting, as if it is an all out drag car you can just cut out anything that gets in the way.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This plan involves driving with rego,so please dont include cars that cant fit a 1j.Cheers.Pete. Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd like to hear reasons for the Rb26 shitting over the 1jz, In my opinion the 1jz is still a better engine in terms of reliabilty. Rb26 takes the crown in modabiltity and an extra 100cc or so of capacity. But am i missing out on anything else of major importance ?

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please not a 1j v rb contest of words.Since this is a toyota forum we shall just accept the win gracefully lol!
Info required is-a light body to take 1j [or RB if ya wanna go slowa] Or should we put the 1j in a sylvia?
Only joking,toyota only please.Cheers.Pete. Laughing
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona - just take your pic - ST141? may be registerable (will prolly need to visit engineer sans turbo)
T-18 has been suggested and is a fair punt - again registerable??
Celica.

Any of these cars on a suitable diet would do it.

outright power to weight? I would go teh Corolla [/edit]

[Updated on: Fri, 04 March 2005 13:20]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it has to be road registered you can't go much lighter than a Celica. I'd recommend an RA40 coupe - they're cheap, plentiful, coupe is more rigid than the hatch, and they're so ugly no-one will care if you butcher one.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Fri, 04 March 2005 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it to be registered in qld it will have to weigh 1000kgs stock. AFAIK my rona weighs somewhere between 970kg & 1050kg stock. Varying opinions I think.

I would think ra40 would be similar weight to my xt130. I think a corolla would be too light for legalities and something like a ke70(which i also own) would have a very difficult time fitting a 1j into. Also, the chassis seems weak compared to my rona.

Do a search on celica weights I reckon.

BTW quickest 1jz at the moment is an ra23 I think it is. But that is in NSW.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sat, 05 March 2005 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want a car that doesn't look like p00, go the ra2x, not the ra40 Smile

once you take the car to jenny craig's and do osme mods, you should have near 250rwkw in a car weighing about 1000kgs fully laden.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sat, 05 March 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this for fun or for competition?

do u want it road registered?

my opinion the RA60 (solid axle with RA65 headlights for looks) will be the best car to use.

it has the best drag coefficient of all of the solid axle celicas.

if u are interested in the RA40
RA40 coupe ~1010-1050kg
RA40 liftback 1100kg

when it comes to tractable horsepower remember the lightest car isnt always the best when it comes to drag racing.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sat, 05 March 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
about the t18
ive seen a drag t18 with a 7mgte JUST fitting in there, theres a bit of room to play with.
legal side of things is a bit iffy but Confused
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sat, 05 March 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 12:48

about the t18
ive seen a drag t18 with a 7mgte JUST fitting in there, theres a bit of room to play with.
legal side of things is a bit iffy but Confused

http://www.turbocorolla.com/cars/danies.htm Very Happy
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sat, 05 March 2005 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there was a celica at the creek last week which ran about a 10.8 or 10.4 it had a hard time getting off the line properly though.... the older supra's are quite light and have potential for a crazy arse end set up.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Celica of some description if it is legal in your state. Otherwise a Corona Mk2.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
An ST141/RT142 would be doable but you would need to set the radiator forward or modify the firewall a little. In QLD would also be road legal as long as those modifications were done properly. And chopping people in a Corona is the shit Smile

NB: Dave, I still have those grilles for you... I am just teh lazy and have lost your address.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha....likewise. Laughing Check PM.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Sun, 06 March 2005 11:40

An ST141/RT142 would be doable but you would need to set the radiator forward or modify the firewall a little. In QLD would also be road legal as long as those modifications were done properly. And chopping people in a Corona is the shit Smile

Are you talking about retaining the standard fan here? If you are talking about running thermos, that would mean that the st141 engine bay is shorter than the xt130. My 1jz fits in without any firewall mods, minus the clutch fan, with a chaser radiator in factory position with thermo fan on the front. It cannot fit on the other side.

There is about 5cm of clearance between the radiator and harmonic balancer.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 05 March 2005 02:16

If it has to be road registered you can't go much lighter than a Celica. I'd recommend an RA40 coupe - they're cheap, plentiful, coupe is more rigid than the hatch, and they're so ugly no-one will care if you butcher one.

correctomundo.
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dingaling wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 23:29

i'd like to hear reasons for the Rb26 shitting over the 1jz, In my opinion the 1jz is still a better engine in terms of reliabilty. Rb26 takes the crown in modabiltity and an extra 100cc or so of capacity. But am i missing out on anything else of major importance ?

Sorry... Not to try and start a debate here or anything...

But the 1JZ as Dingaling said, is just as good of an engine...
When comparing them stock for stock, the 1JZ will actually hold with the RB26 within a few KWs quite a few reviews I have read say...
Although the 1JZ Turbos start to die a bit after 14PSi whilst the Nissan ones can pump a bit harder...

But swap the turbos, dial in some more boost, wack on a FMIC with better flow and cooling... And it'll shit all over the RB26 for lightly modded...
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Sun, 06 March 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks all for the info,taken it onboard and looking for one to pop up at the right time/price/rust level/location....you guys know how it goes. Smile thanks again,cheers.Pete.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I noticed the st141/rt142 came up then it got me thinking.
as far as i know the SA63 celica is a tiny bit lighter than an RA60/RA65 and as earlyer stated it the most aerodynamic.
Depending on what drive train u used i belive supra diffs will bolt right in with little mods.
Also by looking in the tech articles the 1JZ will fit.
But if it's legal then a ronnie rolla for sure.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the IRS will be the SA63's downfall

thats why i mentioned the RA60 and not the RA65.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Surely An MA61 diff could handle the power of a modded 1jz ???
I have never seen this done but was at some stage thinking of doing it.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nahh dude its not about the diff handling power its about how an IRS car handles drag racing, ie. badly.

with a simple IRS system like the SA63 or MA61 when the car squats as it takes off, the wheels get increased negative camber this decreases your tyres contact patch with the tarmac, which means less traction and slower times.

a solid axle diff keeps max contact patch at all times and is simpler and upgradeable to hilux/ford 9" and if u sort out the suspension then u can run full house tubbed rear end.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 02:05]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohhhhhhhh!!!!!
You are so right i'd never thought about it that way.
I had noticed that on hard take offs the inside of the tyre mark is always darker than the outside.
..J..
Regular

June 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen a powerful 1j ma61.

rear camber changes were solved when racing by aligned positive camber so that when it squats the camber is zero.
i believe shane with 1jz747 was toying with this idea with his mx83.

also an option of welding up shock absorbers and suing bag rubber as your shock absorbshin, such as the r33 from sub zero did to get there car into low tens and high nines.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah dont get me wrong im not saying the problem cannot be solved, just saying the RA60 with solid axle may offer less headaches in the rear end department.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would axle tramp be a problem ?????
Would this be solved/ less or a problem with irs ?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are ways to solve axle tramp, not to mention wheel bounce can be a problem in IRS setups as well.

also modifications to an IRS rear end to suit drag racing are not good if its a street registered car.

which brings me onto, was this question answered yet? will it or does it have to be street registered?
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manmx83 wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 21:05

This plan involves driving with rego,so please dont include cars that cant fit a 1j.Cheers.Pete. Smile

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I suggest a car? Please??

FSM Niki 650 Laughing So much lighter than a MKII, and easier to find than a Goggomobile...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRS isn't that bad for traction. I did a 2.1 second 60ft with my MA61, and that's with a shagged LSD, even more shagged suspension (MEGA squat) and cheapo 225 tyres.

MA61 diff is very tough. I have one behind a modded 2JZ, and 2 years later it's still going strong, no clunks or whines or other nasty noises. It won't have any problems with a 1JZ.

Having said that, live axle is generally better for drag duties, although you'd have to swap in something a lot more substantial than the stock T diff in an RA60. Oh and live axle is quite a bit lighter than IRS.
manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what does an RA60 weigh? I Am aligned with Rob ra40 .the ra60 with ra65 lights,solid axle and most streamlined,although I reckon the earlier celicas look better.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 March 2005 16:31]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 01:09

IRS isn't that bad for traction. I did a 2.1 second 60ft with my MA61, and that's with a shagged LSD, even more shagged suspension (MEGA squat) and cheapo 225 tyres.

MA61 diff is very tough. I have one behind a modded 2JZ, and 2 years later it's still going strong, no clunks or whines or other nasty noises. It won't have any problems with a 1JZ.

Having said that, live axle is generally better for drag duties, although you'd have to swap in something a lot more substantial than the stock T diff in an RA60. Oh and live axle is quite a bit lighter than IRS.

It would be interesting for you to go to the track again with the new suspension and diff and see what the difference is. I am assuming that the suspension setup is for cornering etc. I don't know why but I have a feeling that mega squat setup actually works pretty well.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are targeting 1/4 mile times, going for anything other than a solid rear axle will just make things harder.

My car of choice would probably be the Celica that was around at the time of the MK2 supra (RA???).

They had solid axles, small frontal area, rack and pinion steering (don't laugh-if you are looking at a big HP 1J in a light car you will be staring at trap speeds in excess of 200kph-and worm and ball is not nice at that pace.....) And in japan they came from the factory with the MTEU-a 2.0L 6cyl turbo EFI donk. (tons of room in the front, and the motor is a fair way back so you can get good weight transfer onto the rear axle)

Once you strip out all the uwanted weight-ie, A/C compressor, electric anything, stock seats (go to one piece seats-50% lighter) etc, you should be under 1000kg at a guess.......

Sean
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Mon, 07 March 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 10:11

If you are targeting 1/4 mile times, going for anything other than a solid rear axle will just make things harder.

My car of choice would probably be the Celica that was around at the time of the MK2 supra (RA???).

They had solid axles, small frontal area, rack and pinion steering (don't laugh-if you are looking at a big HP 1J in a light car you will be staring at trap speeds in excess of 200kph-and worm and ball is not nice at that pace.....) And in japan they came from the factory with the MTEU-a 2.0L 6cyl turbo EFI donk. (tons of room in the front, and the motor is a fair way back so you can get good weight transfer onto the rear axle)

Once you strip out all the uwanted weight-ie, A/C compressor, electric anything, stock seats (go to one piece seats-50% lighter) etc, you should be under 1000kg at a guess.......

Sean

What motor did they come out with ?
a 1GGTE ????
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sean: are you referring to the ra28 (mustang) or the GA61? GA61 had the 1g-ge in japan IIRC.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubman, they have thrown pretty much anything else in there
,the niki fsm wouldn't work I saw one the other day a 1jzgte would be almost half the length of the car plus
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 12:07

Sean: are you referring to the ra28 (mustang) or the GA61? GA61 had the 1g-ge in japan IIRC.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the RA60 Celica, but is getting a tad confused with the Celica XX. The MA63 Celica XX came with an MTEU, the GA61 came with a 1GEU or 1GGEU and the MA61 came with a 5MGEU.

Personally, I'm with them, pick up an RA60, put a Hilux diff in it and go from there. They are decent aerodynamically compared to other cars of their age, they're cheap cos they're ugly, they have live-axle and rack and pinion.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah-that's it-RA60. The two bits I'm sure of are the 2.0L MTEU 6cyl and the 'XX' designation. It's the smaller cousin to the MA61 Poopra.

Sean
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MS-75 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 20:22

Yeah-that's it-RA60. The two bits I'm sure of are the 2.0L MTEU 6cyl and the 'XX' designation. It's the smaller cousin to the MA61 Poopra.

The Celica XX is just a Supra with no flares, it's what they called them in Japan until the Mk3. It's the same size as a Mk2 Supra. The RA60 has a smaller engine bay, but is big enough for a 1JZGTE still.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Best [read lightest] car for 1j drag duties? Tue, 08 March 2005 12:34 Go to previous message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 08 March 2005 17:15

clubman, they have thrown pretty much anything else in there
,the niki fsm wouldn't work I saw one the other day a 1jzgte would be almost half the length of the car plus

Call the doctor! I think I may have my tongue stuck in my cheek...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help.. About Corolla KE70
Next Topic:any sicko's interested in 5m-e's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 06:07:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093579292297363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.