Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Hand-reared birds Tue, 01 March 2005 23:55 Go to next message
OK, I'm in the market for a parrot. Preferably a lorikeet, but anything really, as long as it's bright and cute (must be hand-reared tho!). I was playing with one at the local pet-shop. It was such a cool bird. You could pick it up and chuck it around - turn it upside down and stuff. Grab it by the beak and shake it's head. It just sat there and took it Smile

Kellyville pets were selling them for $250, but that's pretty steep for what is essentially a squalking ball of feathers and bird-poo. Anyone know where I can buy cheap ones from a private breeding or something?
  Send a private message to this user    
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 02 March 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could probably direct u to someone if u were in melbourne
my brother breeds and deals with birds to pet stores, ofcourse his private sales are at trade price

I got a budgie thats tamed to be hand fed, wen i wistle it flies onto my shoulder or hand, preti cool if u ever lose it around the house somewhere Confused

Good luck

Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 02 March 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cockatiels are cheap, cute, sometimes bright, and very human friendly (generally)
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 02 March 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eugh, birds.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 02 March 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Hand-reared birds aren't cheap 'cos of the time taken to rear them and teach them to be ncie and friendly.

My Rainbow Lorrikeet, Frank, is hand-reared but cost me nothing. I noticed a bunch of birds carrying on and attacking a little grey lump of skin in the backyard about 3 years ago. It was a baby lorrikeet that had been kicked (or fell) out of its nest.

It was pretty beaten up and was very young and had no feathers. I used a syringe and some egg&biscuit bird food and fed it. I took it to the vets to check it was okay. They said I should take it to WIRES, but having dealt with those knuckleheads before I wasn't going to do that.

So I hand fed and reared it. It's great. It talks and does some of the most stupid and funny things. It's a cool little pet and sits on your shoulder and in your pocket, which is something I haven't been able to get my tropical fish to do yet, despite all the training! Smile

Lorri's are a soft-bill parrot, but trust me, it can draw blood when it wants to bite hard.

seeyuzz
river
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Thu, 03 March 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds cool river,good on ya for looking after it,does it think its a human now?? In general I dont like the thought of keeping somthing in a cage that would usually fly around and be soo free...but hey thats just my 2c..
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Thu, 03 March 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yeah, I agree. I like to see them fly around free. But hey, the parents obviously didn't want the poor little bugger and I gave him a life or he'd (or she'd, hard to tell with Lorris) be dead. It flies about the place, and when it's had enough it goes into its cage - which is pretty big and I've given him a hollow olog which it uses for its nest.

seeyuzz
river
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Thu, 03 March 2005 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey this our indian ring neck Jack, he wasn't hand reared but after alot of effort he's fairly tame.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/593000-593999/593805_32.jpg

[Updated on: Thu, 03 March 2005 08:58]

riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Thu, 03 March 2005 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Thu, 03 March 2005 19:44

Hi,

Yeah, I agree. I like to see them fly around free. But hey, the parents obviously didn't want the poor little bugger and I gave him a life or he'd (or she'd, hard to tell with Lorris) be dead. It flies about the place, and when it's had enough it goes into its cage - which is pretty big and I've given him a hollow olog which it uses for its nest.

seeyuzz
river

what you did was great,good on ya..
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shame you thought so little of WIRES Shane. They do a pretty good job under most circumstances.

Cheers, Greg.
(WIRES rescuer and carer)
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It just sat there and took it

Until one day it just cant take the teasing anymore and decides to peck your face off Laughing
studman
Occasional Poster

On Probation

March 2005
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a hand reared starling, his name is pete and he can sing most of the Australien anthem
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
used to have an avary ofr budgies and sell some of the babies off to the pet shop. Used to keep the good ones to ourselves. We had one bird for years his name was les, very dociale bird who was hand reared, didn't clip his wings cos he was to fat to fly and he used to imitate our chihuahua, by making the crying noise he'd make if he didn't get enough attention.

My auntie and uncle used to have a lorikeet that had fallen out of a nest for years, it had some serious issues but was a classic bird. Used to chase the mop round the floor when they were cleaning, this bird did not have feathers well it did when it was young but then they all fell out.
It was fed ice cream with apricot topping if it was good and ate at the table.
It would attack my auntie because it was female and saw her as takng my uncles attention away.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ring neck hates me... once they mature... the main caretaker (me) is suddnely the enemy and they hate you for ever...

If your getting a ring neck... Make your sister look after it for the first few months...

I'd recomend a cockateil... they are the best
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Farkurnell wrote on Fri, 04 March 2005 13:49

Shame you thought so little of WIRES Shane. They do a pretty good job under most circumstances.
Cheers, Greg.
(WIRES rescuer and carer)

I've only dealt with them twice and they showed little interest in assisting or helping, which I found disappointing and surprising. I'm sure the majority do a great job and I admire the work they do and the selfless time they spend in aiding our wildlife. I've donated to them them on occasions and I'm sure you're right, the vast majority of WIRES people are good.

Should I ever be in the situation where I need their services I'll give them another try. Better still, I'll just call you!

seeyuzz
river
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Hand-reared birds Fri, 04 March 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Choony_AE86 wrote on Wed, 02 March 2005 11:10

i could probably direct u to someone if u were in melbourne
my brother breeds and deals with birds to pet stores, ofcourse his private sales are at trade price

I got a budgie thats tamed to be hand fed, wen i wistle it flies onto my shoulder or hand, preti cool if u ever lose it around the house somewhere Confused

Good luck

oh how cute.......
Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 09 March 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is my Regent Parrot, Enzo. He was purchased for $30 from my boss who is also a breeder, he breeds some great birds and is extremely meticulous about the quality of his birds. My boss does it by the book and doesn't rip people off.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/the_rainbirds/miscellaneous/enzo001.jpg

Regents often sell for $150+ for an untrained one and $250+ for a hand-reared, because I was so lucky I got Enzo when he was only a few weeks old (just old enough to leave the nest) and could do the training myself. I had no experience with this sort of thing but he now does all the basic things and is moderately tame, he wont attack or bite unless seriously provoked or disturbed while he is sleeping, those things will upset him (as they would anybody!). Enzo has got so much personality, it makes me laugh when people say birds are boring, I can watch/play with him for hours, we are the best of mates but we have our arguments and our off days, hehehe.

Enzo will sit on your shoulder and let you stroke his beak, he will always be willing to hop on to your finger and climb up your arm. He's also happy for you to rub your head on his but he's a little protective over his feathers... Like he's worried he's going to be violated or something! Shocked He says "Hello Enzo" quite clearly and he wolf whistles and mimic's every sound he hears from day-to-day, things such as my dog crying to be let in, my mobile phone SMS alert, my squeaky door and every wild bird that comes to visit him when I put him outside for the day. He's a funny little character! The funniest thing about him is his little "revelations" that he has throughout the day... out of the silence you'll hear him go "Oh!" like he's just thought of something, and then he'll go off talking to himself for another half an hour, when you tell him to be quiet, he goes quiet for a second and then slowly builds back up to full volume thinking that I wont notice.

If I ever had to recommend a pet bird, I would recommend a Regent Parrot to everyone, they are an intellegent, easy to teach and willing to learn, moderately loving without getting in the way (see cockatiel) and an attractive looking bird.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 09 March 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget whipper the mutant budgie...

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/whipper.jpg
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 09 March 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Coolest
budgie
ever.

With regards to your boss Rainey - where is he located and is he still breeding parrots?

[Updated on: Wed, 09 March 2005 06:47]

Rainey
Regular

January 2005
Re: Hand-reared birds Wed, 09 March 2005 08:41 Go to previous message
Hey Joorsh, yes he's still breeding, Enzo's mum and dad just went through their second season of successful breeding. They normally lay about 7 eggs with a normal success rate of about 5 healthy youngins, normally the other two either don't hatch or the mother can't keep up with them all. Norman McNormally said so... (sorry just re-read my poorly structured sentence)

The breeders name is Tony Cashion and he operates from Hobart, TAS, breeders travel from over the state to purchase his Regents and try breeding for themselves but apparently they are a hard bird to breed and don't always have success. The adult males are often too shy to mate with the female unless you introduce another male into the aviary to stir up a bit of competition. My boss knows his stuff and I imagine he would have another round of youngins in August-September'ish. Let me know if you want his contact details. They would probably be selling for about $60 each.

[Updated on: Wed, 09 March 2005 08:43]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:www.toyotacressida.com
Next Topic:ne one know stuff about.....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 07:08:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.14824509620667 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.