Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
No Spark? EMS Computer Sun, 06 March 2005 22:49 Go to next message
Hey I'm running an sr20det with an ems dualsport. When I was giving it a squirt on the weekend it stuffed up and started running on three cylinders.
I've checked the plugs and coil packs and they're all fine. Is there some way to check the ignitor module? It's earth wasn't the best and I've had a problem with it before.
  Send a private message to this user    
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Sun, 06 March 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chances are that the earth is more than most likely your problem, when i had my dual sport hooked up i had left one earth of for the ignitor and guess wat, no spark. Try sorting out that earth and see how ya go.

Cheers Adam
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Sun, 06 March 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've fixed the earth but it's still running on three cylinders. Perhaps the bad earth has stuffed the ignitor module but I'm not sure how to test it.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Sun, 06 March 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMS has always had a problem with ignotors blowing particularly the inbuilt type.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Sun, 06 March 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats the alternatives? I can use MSD or something similar can't I? Would anyone know the rough cost? The new ignitor module is something like $150.
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you run external modules?
If so make up an aluminium plate and bolt on four Ford XD-XF bosch modules (also found on most early (GC) Telstars) and wire them up.
They have four pins and an earth base. I can post a diagram on how they can be wired up if you like.
They should be pretty cheap from a wrecker to.
I am using three of them on my 6M supra with Wolf 3D and have had no trouble.

Oh, and dwell time is built in so you only need a short pulse from the EMS to drive them.
Good luck with sorting it out.

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The common fix at EMS is to remove the internal unit and use thier newer external ignitor. Its a common issue for them and usually if you take it in to them they only charge you for the new module and dont charge for the labour time reconfiguring it.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help but I am using the external module
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what brand of mudule are you running ??
as the EMS ones arnt that flash, just buy a bosch one if you havnt already, i havnt had any problems with my EMS once the Bosch module was installed.

Ben.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea I'm running the EMS module. Maybe I should switch to bosch. Do you remember how much was it for the bosch
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought a new one for $220 i think, but a second hand one wont cost you that much.

ben.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Havnt seen a problem like this happen with my external ems module though i doubt the bad earth could have fucked it as i had completly left the earth off and tried ot start it, and nothing. Earthed it works like a dream, though a bad earth might be worse than no earth, i aint an autoelec so i wouldnt have a clue about that.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Mon, 07 March 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wont u need 4 seperate ignitors if u got for bosch ones

ive never liked ems ignitors

never last

if the sr20 has 4 coils then u need 4 ignitors
4 bosch ones will be 1000

see if u can run a factory sr20 ignitor with the dual sport

or buy an msd dis4 about 600 or 700 bucks i think

or just buy another ems 4 output ignitor just for now
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Tue, 08 March 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok gave it to the performance place and they confirmed it's the ignitor. Maybe i should have just replaced it myself.
I'll just go ems and fix the earth and hope for the best.
84supra
Regular

March 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Tue, 08 March 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why dont you make a set of modules like I sugested?
It will cost no more than $50 and be reliable.
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Tue, 08 March 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know I should if it happens again I'l do something like that.
twinturbo86
Regular

June 2003
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Tue, 08 March 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want to test the ignitor, get a l.e.d testlight. first check there is a + pulse coming out of each ems ignition output whilst cranking if they're all ok test the four wires coming out of the ignitor to the coils they should all have a - pulse whilst cranking. if u have 4 + pulses going into the ignitor and only 3 - pulses coming out the ignitor is stuffed. the sr20 standard ignitor can be wired in pretty easy too.your ignitor is made up of 4 separate transistors each will have an input and a output wire.they all share a common earth and there is also a green wire on ems ignitors which can be connected to a tacho. so basically when the input wire recieves a + pulse it acts like a switch pulsing the output wire to earth thus earthing the coil.if the ignitor has a blown channel dont throw it away it still can be used as a single,double or tripple ignitor.

ems ignitors are pretty good but rely on a good earth so earth it to the block or something.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: No Spark? EMS Computer Tue, 08 March 2005 23:14 Go to previous message
Heh glad i use a modified 1ggte dizzy, which means i only run one coil Smile if your running multiple coils of the ignitor module you might then fuck it up.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Elements of turbocharging a 4k in a KE10
Next Topic:Help.. About Corolla KE70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 07:43:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060698986053467 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.