Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Tue, 08 March 2005 11:54 Go to next message
Hey everyone
I have a 3sge Gen 1 and i'm wondering what could be used as a upgrade from say a 3sgte or another model 3sge that would fit and would prove as an upgrade to my car!

And how likely are aftermarket cams for these engines..

Cheers
Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Tue, 08 March 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest, you've already got the best cams which came out on the 3s-g(t)e you wouldn't see much of an upgrade, and actually be downgrading.

You have larger duration and higher lift ocmpared to the turbo.

I was considering doing the opposite for my car, thats using the 3sge cams in the turbo. But really isn't worth the wank.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Tue, 08 March 2005 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the chances of findin aftermarket 3sge gen 1 cams.. or maybe even aftermarket 3sgte cams that would be say 264 degree cams.. would that work?

Thanx!
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Tue, 08 March 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go get custom ones from Tighe Cams - I sent 'em an email, it's expensive, but if you are after performance and not wank factor then it's the way to go.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Tue, 08 March 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finding cams is easy, but the price is the limiting factor.

You could look into getting your cams reground.

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting...

But i'd much prefer if i could find some aftermarket cams...
I know ppl with the 4age motors and they got second hand cams..
No real need for custom if they are already out there really..
They last for ages i would have thought..

Thanx!
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double post!

[Updated on: Wed, 09 March 2005 01:24]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These guys http://www.atsracing.net/cams.htm have 264 degree Gen1 3SGTE cams for $400 US a pair.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey...
Crows Cams make custom units for $440 for the 4age and 3sge custom done...

Thanx for that though i appreciate it...

I'm hopin to find some second hand...

But yeah just mainly tryin to find out what 3sgte/3sge cams work with the 3sge gen 1 motors.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you do an engine swap, and want to keep it in the same 3S series you only have a few options really.

There isn't a lot of point going to a Gen 2 or Gen 3 as the power gained is definately not going to be worth the money spent.

Better to go to a Gen 2 or Gen 3 3S-GTE, or if you want to stay N/A look at the BEAMs 3S-GE @ 200hp.
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks to be he just wants to mod the Gen 1 3SGE he has, not swap it out for something else.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Wed, 09 March 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most turbo engines have pretty tame cams because the exhaust back pressure is much greater than on your typical N/A engine. Cams from a gen 2 or gen 3 head (SW20/ST182/ST202) might be the way to go for better power, but I wouldn't be able to confirm this.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 10 March 2005 00:15

Cams from a gen 2 or gen 3 head (SW20/ST182/ST202) might be the way to go for better power, but I wouldn't be able to confirm this.

Pretty sure Gen2/3 don't fit the Gen1.
You'd be better off buying a complete Gen2/3 or Beams
(whatever Gen that is)

Gen 1 is too old to buy off the shelf parts for.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the cams themselves don't fit. But the heads do...

So if your after performance, sourch a head from a gen2, get it ported/polished and decked, and you'll get yourself a nive handful of horsies.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a pity swapping in something like a Beams VVTi 3sge is impractacle from a price point of view.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as the guy said gen 1 cams will only fit gen 1 as they have not much base circle and the buckets are only 28mm the gen 2 onwards have 4mm base circle and 31 mm buckets hope this helps
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey everyone.. thats great info i really appreciate it..
What are the chances of finding some aftermarket cams for a gen 1 second hand and anyone know any good sources for this??

Thanks again everyone!!!
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Next to nil.

If anyone is gonna have anything close to Gen1 gear, it'd have to be TerryOBeirne.

Other then that, start looking, very hard.
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx for that...
Hmmm i'll have to keep an eye out for em anyway..
Pity 3sge gen 1 aren't as common as the 4age!!!
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What other 3sge/3sgte cams would fit in a 3sge Gen 1!! Thu, 10 March 2005 23:32 Go to previous message
Adrian,

There is a place in NZ that sells Gen1 cams.

"http://www.camshaftshop.com//camshafts/view_by_veh icle.php?p_make_id=27"

Cheers
T.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:alternator conversion
Next Topic:4age engine specs and best for AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 22:39:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062320232391357 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar