Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » 8-10K to Spend...What Car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 04:31 Go to next message
Hi all
only a recent member but im wondering if you all could help me
ive been doin a fair bit or research on all types of cars that im interested in but i cant decide which one to choose from
id like to reduce my list somewhat so it makes it easier for me to search for my first car Smile

ok my budget is 8K, but im willing to go to 10 if it includes rego and such

Now here are the cars im considering
-Nissan NX-R (92ish model)
-Nissan Silvia Q (89ish model)
-Toyota Celica (89ish Model)
-Toyota Supra (89ish Model)
-Totota MR2 (89 or a 92 imported model)
-Toyota Soarer (89ish model)

now i need some advice, im not going to get full comprehensive as its too expensive but i will be getting 3rd party fire and theft

Im willing to import a car if its worth it so people can suggest that too, but id rather buy local if i can help it.
Im a big stickler for interior design and condition Smile

feel free to throw suggestions at me as to what i can add, or what cars i should remove Smile

cheers

-Gaz

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 05:37]

Send a private message to this user    
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As much as I love them, the Europeans are too expensive to maintain (coming from an ex-Volvo owner).

Under $10k is bottom of the range MR2 material, and if you want a turbo you'll be spending more.

For $8-10k you could get a nice ST165 GT4 (1986-89) or a Supra MA70, both of which have the MR2 beat in practicality. If you want a platform to work from, the Supra would be cheaper to work on. The Celica would be cheaper to run and more unique, and if you're willing to spend the money the ST165 could be formidable with ST205 running gear.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u ever thought about buying a car damaged/stolen recovered from the auctions? you could buy a stolen recovered bmw 318is have it all complete with rego on the road for just under 10k
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hrm good point, damn euro cars
so nice, yet so damn expensive to maintain Sad
a ST165 GT4 is what the car in your avatar looks like but AWD yeah?

Quote:

u ever thought about buying a car damaged/stolen recovered from the auctions? you could buy a stolen recovered bmw 318is have it all complete with rego on the road for just under 10k

havnet been to those auctions yet, but im not a fan of the 318is
my mate has one and the interior is plasticy and doesnt have the build quality that they should have
and parts are expensive Sad

-Gaz
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i used the bmw as an example, many cars go for cheap and would cost under 10k on road.

for another example: 1995 series1 200sx sold for $5500, front end damaged. cost to repair incl parts $3000. add rego..... u do the maths.

have a quickie at www.fowles.com.au or www.picklesauctions.com.au
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn thats a good idea
200sx is my realistic dream car Smile
i take it you knew the person who repaired the car?

noted those sites, thanks!

but the prob with that is that i would have no idea how much it would cost to repair a car just by looking at it, or what it would be worth damaged Sad

probably need someone to come with me huh?
i dont know anyone more knowledgeable with cars than me, so dang Sad

but will look into that

-Gaz
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, mines the ST162. The GT4 adds better suspension, the 3SGTE engine, AWD and other nice things like a leather interior.

You may be able to find an ST185 GT4 for around the $10k mark, probably an import. Nice examples often go for more though.

The MA70 is probably your best bang-for-buck purchase. You would still have money to spare for insurance too.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MZ20 imports are cheap as chips these days.... $9k on the road is even getting highish in the prices....

MA70 imports equally cheap, but MZ20s are cooler

Teh nissans are ghey.

MR2 will cost a fair bit i think. The Soarer or Supra option is better money spent.

There is also the UZS131 crown Wink
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't say what you want the car for? Straight line speed, handling, looks, cheap insurance, good fuel economy? All round performers in that price range I'd go an AW11, a s13 or an mx5.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the aw11 is great as an allrounder, unless he wants:
* looks (I dont care what people say, it's a slightly prettier capri/exa)
* practicality (only seats 2 people, piss tiny boot)
* crash safety (mmm - fuel).
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh like an MA61 right?
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i forgot to say what i wanted it for
haha Rolling Eyes

well its a first car so just a daily driver
not planning on doing any sprints or anything
just a confortable, sporty lookin car that is fairly good on fuel and fairly cheap to repair if needs be Smile

yeah the soarer or MA70 supra are probably gonna be my best bet....
but keep the suggestions coming

BTW the AW11 is alright looking, but looks better with a body kit (bling bling!), but might not be a good car for a sound system Sad

-Gaz

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try and pick up something liek a GA63... and spend about $5000 gradn that u save from it
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$8K would buy you a rather crappy N/A SW20, money would be better spent on a SC'd AW11.

Alternately a Nice Supra or Soarer from late 80's would also suit your budget.

I'm also curious which insurance companies offer fire & theft only cover, as it isn't easily available(if at all) in NSW.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2005 12:36]

buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just Car does... I've got my policy here in front of me:

$373 for third party property, $593 for third party property, fire and theft (to $5000).
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Phresh wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 22:57

sorry i forgot to say what i wanted it for
haha Rolling Eyes

well its a first car so just a daily driver
not planning on doing any sprints or anything
just a confortable, sporty lookin car that is fairly good on fuel and fairly cheap to repair if needs be Smile

yeah the soarer or MA70 supra are probably gonna be my best bet....
but keep the suggestions coming

BTW the AW11 is alright looking, but looks better with a body kit (bling bling!), but might not be a good car for a sound system Sad

-Gaz

Have u considered much a Toyota celica ST162?
Its the 3sge front wheel drive version.. Personally i think they ara pretty sexy, cheap to insure, parts are quite known, got a fair bit of go, 103kw engine, mid 16s 1/4 stock, quite a lot of features which is always good..
For example

My car came with cruise control, white lightning limited edition bucket seats (on a 1986 model too hehe) electric windows, power windows and electric mirrors.
There is heaps of space for the sound system and they are reliable.

Gt4 would be pretty expensive for something that u want to be good on fuel and cheap to repair. pretty comfy cars too..

TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah just a bit of thought for fuel economy. The supra/soarer and gt4 (and mr2 turbo) won't be as good fuel economy, quite a bit on the bigger motors..

My Celica does 450kms to 40 litres.. i think i got it to 600 to 45 litres once it was cool as but yeah on average about 450kms to every 40 litres.

Quite cheap to run, oh yeah and they only cost about 4-6k. 6k would get u one pretty decent

Oh yeah and also ae82 twincam are a freakin cheap car to buy, probably about 3-4k for a decent one.. they are a hell of a lot of fun to drive with a bit of small suspension work, go pretty damn good for what they are, and cheap on fuel.. very cheap. its a little 86kw 4age 1.6 litre powermill in about 950-1000kgs...

Good luck!
PooJou
Occasional Poster

December 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With that list of cars, put away at least $1500 for insurance... - since this IS your first car and all. Once the insurers see "P" "Male" "Two Door" and maybe "Turbo" and "Import" woooo byebye $$$. Think about getting something that was at least locally sold so that if it breaks, it won't cost you the proverbial arm and a leg. Having said that, I really like the ~1989 Celica's - the 3SGE ones i mean. Quite the quick little machine. But yeah, remember, you have other costs associated with a car. Oh and no one judges a person by what car they drive.......................(much Smile)
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the car rego'd under one of your parents' names and then put yourself down as a secondary driver.
For my ae82 under my name it was
$1,378 for comprehensive ($60 less for 3rd party so obviously go with comp).
I wanted it insured for $2,000 but the NRMA says because of low km's the lowest they can insure for is $3,300 which would push it up to $1,800.
However, if it's going under my dad's name and me as secondary driver (secondary driver means you can drive the car as much as you like, not limited to once a month) and it's $1,047 for BOTH OF US TOGETHER. You still accumulate your no-claim bonus as well Smile

Does anyone else think that's incredibly stupid? Of course they didn't say that it would be cheaper that way, you have to ask Evil or Very Mad
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Phresh wrote on Sat, 12 March 2005 19:57

Back in 1989, these cars were priced like todays Mitsubishi Evolutions and Lexus SC430's. When you spend that much on a car, value for money fuel, servicing and parts costs aren't a concern.

Understandably, after 15 years these turbo sports and luxury vehicles aren't any cheaper to maintain or run and sourcing parts is still a concern.

In non-turbo form a SW20 MR2 would probably be the best out of your preferences in running costs, if more complicated to modify/work on than the others.

The 3SGE is good on fuel (I get 600k's out of 50 litres). It also looks good and is a great car to drive.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message

For 8-9 grand you could get a schmick 88-89 SC AW11. With 1000 -2000 for mods. If you want a 'drivers car' go the aw11. Once you go mid rear you never go back.
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all your replies people Cool
A turbo car would be nice but me being on my green P's, and insureance co's hating me i dont think i could stomach the cost of the insurance

yeah the "insure under parents and be secondary driver" thing is what im gonna do Smile

Most of my driving is on the highway (GF lives off the highway) and also im a short trip into town so not much idling at lights and alike

my biggest concern is that when im driving im gonna be confortable (me being 6"2'), so something with nice seats (im used to driving my Peugeot 504 which has DAMN comfortable seats Very Happy )

My budget is around 8K with the rest for insurance, but im willing to go over that for the right car and just save abit more (im not exactly poor, but not exactly rich either Smile )

Keep the suggestions comin peeps Very Happy

-Gaz
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Bucknaked, but you are in Perth, it seems every other state in Australia except NSW gets fire & theft. It's definately not fair!
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prestige motorsport have a 4-door GTs-T R32 ready for import... It should cost around $7000 landed excl rego and compliancing...

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/2295
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sat, 12 March 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not too informed about importing
i mean the sites say its "easy" and shit
but what if i cant get the car complied?
and other such things
or what if the car isnt how it is described?

if i knew those issued could be taken car of then i would give importing a SERIOUS consideration, especially seeing as i could get a non turbo MR2 Very Happy Cool Evil or Very Mad

anyone here had any experience with importing and could give me some advice and alike?

cheers

-Gaz
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Sun, 13 March 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 07:42

Yes Bucknaked, but you are in Perth, it seems every other state in Australia except NSW gets fire & theft. It's definately not fair!

I moved to Perth from Sydney last August! I wondered why my insurance was cheaper this year as well! (I remember it being $600 for third party property). Losing my licence has made me uninsurable by mainstream companies, so I get screwed on prices.

G-Phresh wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 07:56

if i knew those issued could be taken car of then i would give importing a SERIOUS consideration, especially seeing as i could get a non turbo MR2 Very Happy

As well as being imported, SW20 MR2's were sold locally in Australia ~1989-1997, which means there are a few around. You should be able to get one for $8k.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 8-10K to Spend...What Car? Tue, 15 March 2005 06:20 Go to previous message
I think that a 3sge powered st162 is perfect for a new driver. Not too fast (but not slow) are able to have some good mods in the future (ie 3sgTe) have some looks, not terrible space in the back seats and some good storage. Just get the ones with the better looking tail lights. Check out a few and you'll know what I mean. I think you should be able to pick up some very good examples in your price range and maybe have some left over for rego/insurance etc.

Good luck with the car hunting.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tee Hee - I love my baby - 213rwkw
Next Topic:Help buying car:Eunos 30X
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 22:39:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052499771118164 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.