Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Sterio Install with pics Thu, 21 November 2002 09:06 Go to next message
ok. been building this for about a week now from deisgning stage, making a template, cutting out and fixing together.

I've complted the amp rack all but carpeting it.

Here are some pics. let me know what u think, any feedback would be more than appreciated.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/system .jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/itfits .jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/itfits 2.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/itfits 3.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/itfits 4.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/itfits 5.jpg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/fin1.j pg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/fin2.j pg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/fin3.j pg
http://www.users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/fin4.j pg

PS. if you don't want to look at them all. atleast check out fin1.jpg.
  Send a private message to this user    
Bounty
Regular

May 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Thu, 21 November 2002 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks nice, got a bit of time on ur hands, what kind of fans did u use for the amps there? computer cpu ones? should be good once its all done.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Thu, 21 November 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah. not computer ones.. you'll find computer ones are 240v rated.

These are only 12V rated..

the size is 80mm. i was going to get the 120mm fans, but they made a bit of noise and i didn't want to pay $30 for each fan.. these cost me about $38 for both.

as i continued to build my amp rack i kept running into obstacles, so because of this, each time i had to change my plans slightly. i think it's actually come up better this way than how it was origionally set out. i'm guessing i've changed my plans about 6 times now in different places. either things i had to add in, or take out and even modify.
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm taking that is an MA61 by the looks of the boot! Difficult car for a stereo install hey!

Where are the speakers going to be? I originally had a shelf accross where the blind goes with 7x10's but it's out after the acco. Not sure what i will do for speakers in the new one, i dont want to do a dodgy hack job on the interior to put some speakers in.

What ur plans? Up front as well?
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trying not to flame or anything mate, but computer fans are most definitely 12v.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was gonna say something like that but thought I wont start the shit for once Cool
froodogs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, it's not like it's a big deal... just don't want people frying computers, fans, or expensive stereo gear with the wrong voltage...
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aah. well 240/12v oh well.

as for speakers. i wouldn't have the foggiest. i'm more worried about where and how i'm going to fit this sub box. gota fit 2 12" Type R's in there somehow. Somehow i think i've done the easy bit. Then again. a sub box only takes 1/2 a day to complete.

Yeah. it's a MA61. pain in the ass if you ask me, but hopefully will all be worth it. i put a some black carpet on it today, but now looking at it i think i should have gone with vinal. might have given a more professional look. but no matter. i'm stuck with carpet until it fades or i get sick of it or i can afford vinal. hehehe.

eventually i'll get speakers for the doors and make some door pods. now that i know Bunnings sells fibreglass resin and cloth i may even do it now. but i wanted a good set of splits for the front. so initially i was planning on doing that when i bought the speakers... worry about it then.

i'll most probably have the speakers on a parcel shelf to the sides of the top of the sub box. but i'm only doing one thing at a time and i'm not trying to think too far down the track as i've changed my design so many times in the last few days just to make things fit and look better.

if you guys have any questions feel free to ask and i'll answer them to the best of my knowledge.
Cressida Supra
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Fri, 22 November 2002 18:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looking good SupraBOY
I only see one problem with it tho. you've used plywood to make it out of.
If u havent made the sub box yet, go and get some 16-18mm MDF and use that.
MDF is a sound dead material (doesnt resonate at any frequency). where as plywood could resonate. dont ask me at wot frequency tho.
two thumbs up anyway
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: Sterio Install with pics Sat, 23 November 2002 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida Supra wrote on Sat, 23 November 2002 05:14

Looking good SupraBOY
I only see one problem with it tho. you've used plywood to make it out of.
If u havent made the sub box yet, go and get some 16-18mm MDF and use that.
MDF is a sound dead material (doesnt resonate at any frequency). where as plywood could resonate. dont ask me at wot frequency tho.
two thumbs up anyway

I have to agree with the above, as i only have ever used MDF after my first experiance with shitty ply wood, also mdf has less flex and is much stronger in a sub box application, its a better material to work with as it does not splinter and crack.
Just some thoughts
JUZZO

SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Sat, 23 November 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah know all that..
the only thing i've made out of ply wood is the false floor. as it has some water resistancy to it.
the sub box i'll be using 18mm mdf.

latest pic is the false floor covered in carpet. it's black carpet even though it looks red in the pic.

http://users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sounds/carpet.jp g.

i start the wiring together tonight and i should have my capacitor next week Smile

should work now..

[Updated on: Sat, 23 November 2002 13:06]

bliz
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Sat, 23 November 2002 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erm link doesnt work dude~

jimmy
Richard84
Regular

October 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Sat, 23 November 2002 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woah man. That's some heavy equipment there. Love your work on the amp rack. Very interesting. I'll be on my way to Strathfield to buy another amp and start work on one just like it. Ah, if only. That is gonna sound REALLY awesome!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Sun, 24 November 2002 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just wear a mask when cutting mdf

dad is a builder and refuses to use the stuff do to the properties of the fibres once they have been cut and floating in the air as dust. Not the greatest to inhale.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Mon, 25 November 2002 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whattadafuck is tha hairy thing doing in fin1.jpg Very Happy
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Mon, 25 November 2002 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe. it's my dog. she wouldn't move so i had to take the photo with her in it. hehe.

Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Sterio Install with pics Mon, 25 November 2002 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh

instead of putting a fish tank in there, I guess u can box up or cage up ur dog 4 auto salon mate Surprised
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Wed, 27 November 2002 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SupraBOY
you live with an ewok?
cool!
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Wed, 27 November 2002 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok. here are some new pics.

the false floor is almost finished. it isn't carpeted yet.

the sub box that you can see is just a temp one that gives me some sound for the time being. as with the speaker rack.

http://users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/inboot1.jp g
http://users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/inboot2.jp g
http://users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/inboot3.jp g

hope you like.....

the proper sub box will come later down the track.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Mon, 02 December 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.bigpond.com/jannilee/sound/speaker.jp g

ok here are the speakers i bought today to go into the front of my supra.

all i have to do now is learn to make speaker pods.
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Sterio Install with pics Mon, 02 December 2002 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaker pods are easy to make! it will depend on how complex you want them tho!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Tue, 03 December 2002 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fucking excellent chioce of splits! i have a set of the Velocity drivers and i can vouch for their unbelevable accurancy, and underratted power handling (excellent spectrum coverage too!)
What did you pay incidentally?

For door pods for those heavy suckers, i wouldn't be using fibreglass if possible. I would use MDF and regular BOG, since bog is much heavier and has NO RESONANCE, whereas the fibreglass does resonate to a small extent. If you have to use the fibreglass, then use to make you basic frame and shape, then add a layer of bog to give more wieght and less resonance. This is what we used to do back at MLC.

Here's waht i did... just as 2nd time hack job!http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwCvBCMUo6yaRYa5K4!WKxkFMw2bhIaxsTCxIn3IL*0Xs8AVIBnM0*XPLPR4PZKqBDKnp5igkx5G6ROiC!Mh9Mij77sJR!zUKKWxqraLMQA/door-trim.jpg?dc=4675395035662578133

Also i have never done a ported box for a Type R, but from the ported job i did hear, the Type R's are much better suited to a small sealed box feeding them CRAPLOADS of power (as you seem to be doing!). I have installed NUMEROUS type R's and seriously recommend a 28-30L sealed 18mm MDF box, and feed in the BIG power! THe specs of the type R just turn me away from porting.. too uncontrolled.

If you need any guides to building door pods, ill gladly assist.

Oh... and DEFINITELY wear a dust mask when working with MDF and fibreglass and bog.... MDF fibres are carconagenic (cancer!), and the others arent too good either.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Tue, 03 December 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll be jealous when you find out i only paid $249 for these speakers.. the shop had only 2 sets left and they were both at $100 OFF. what a bargain.

before i bought then i kinda wanted blaupunkt as my friend has an overdrive series sub woofer and it sounds real nice..

I've kinda started the door pods today. they are preety bodgy, and i made them so i didn't have to cut any metal in my door. like i could even if i wanted too. But hopefully when they are completed they will be strong enough. i don't have a lot of support holding the "o ring" so to speak. but if i put enough glass on there it should be strong enough.

At the moment i've got the door pods set out with an old pillowcase over them to the shape i want. tomorrow i might go and see the surfboard maker and see if he can either help me or guide me. or i might just give it a go myself.

do you have any hints when it comes to using fibreglass with door pods... do you cut the cloth into smallish strips and layer them on. or do you put it on in like a big piece and cut it so it fits snug this way?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Sterio Install with pics Tue, 03 December 2002 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cutting metal in doors is easy. With a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw - too easy. You gotta be careful, 'cos you can't put it back if you make a mistake...

I fixed up the previous owners install in my ra65. He had put some crappy VERY shallow 5.25" speakers in the doors. The door retaining rods rubbed the back of the speakers, and any better speaker was going to be deeper. I had to make teardrop shaped pods to cover the old hole and sit the speakers (6.5" DDDrive coasxs) lower down. Here is an old pic of the trial one made from fibreboard. http://www.speedtoys.com/~stefan/images/newa16.jpg
The finished ones are twice as thick (12mm mdf), with routed edges and covered in blue vinyl.

I rear passenger 6x9s were just screwed into the interior panel, and were too deep so the panel was bowed. Not good. I recently fixed this by making 12mm MDF rings under the interior panel and screwing them to the sheetmetal, then making matching 6mm spacer rings that exactly match the speakers that screw in on top. The speakers then screw into them. Panels are straight again and are very solid. Sounds better too, i'm thinking of packing the spaces somehow to improve the bass though - any ideas anyone?

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2002 14:51]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Tue, 03 December 2002 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WEll i paid $220 for mine about 18 months ago, when Blaupunkt still had the rrp set at $449. (i used to work for MLC Car Radios). Gotta love Johnny for dropping the prices for us!

I would try to make the speaker mounting ring as strong as possible, since the Velocities can move a fair bit and sound much better if VERY solid. Try to make it so that your door pods are solidly mounted to the metal of the door, either with concealed screws or some other method. AS for fibreglassing, i used grille cloth stretched over my framework, and apllied multiple coast of resin with fibres in extensively suspended sections... and then used regular bog to fill out shape and supply a bit of reinforcement. (also easier to smooth out)

TO make the shape you want:
cut out the "rings" that you mount the speakers to, annd use hot glue or something similar and small scrap piece of wood to make a frame on your door (depends if you are building into the door trim, or on top of the door trim), which has the position for the speaker to be placed set out.
Go buy some grille cloth from somewhere (Jaycar has it cheap), and stretch it over your frame work and staple or otherwise fix it into position. Grille cloth is good because it is light, cheap and stretches nicely. You will notice then that you have a nice basic shape ready to have resin applied.
Aplly your resin in several coats, so that it is nice and thick and covers any cloth or exposed material. Use Fibre strips where there are large sections without support, but it isnt required everywhere since you also have teh grille cloth.
Do some light sanding if you go overboard with fibreglass in any spots. Then like i said, use some regualar bog to fill in the grooves and smooth it out.

Hope this helps dudes! Very Happy
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: Sterio Install with pics Wed, 04 December 2002 06:11 Go to previous message
well. i cheated a little bit.. i went and saw the surfboard maker guy. i'm good frinds with him. i only went there to get his advice and he basically ended up doing one of the speaker pods for me.. so i gave him $50 and will give him the stuff i bought from Bunnings as a trade in for him to help me with the other pod. Atleast now i know it's going to be done right.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Fan Belts
Next Topic:18r-geu vs. 18r-g + EFI conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 01:43:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051708221435547 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.