Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =(

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StreetweaponX
Occasional Poster

November 2004

icon10.gif  ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Mon, 14 March 2005 23:47 Go to next message
Engine seems to be choking/struggling once in a while that just happens out of nowhere. I step on accel. and there's no response to the throttle and it seems to just choke hard and feels like it's flooded. Kind of like running out of petrol feeling and the revs will not rev freely at all, even in neutral. It can happen during freeway driving, and it can happen on take off, it happens whenever. Sometimes it can happen once or twice a day, sometimes it doesn't happen in a whole month. Sometimes it goes on for about 5 seconds, sometimes it goes on for about a minute. I use high grade premium fuel. I've heard from others it can be sooo many things such as dizzy cap, ignition leads, fuel pump & lines, fuel filter etc etc, which makes it hard for me to take it to a mechie since i'm paranoid about them making a list of crap up and overcharge me.

I got error codes 41 and 51 when i did the engine ECU error code diagnostics

Checked up the BGB as is elaborated as followed:-

41 = Open or short circuit in throttle position sensor (TPS) signal (VTA)

51 = No IDL or A/C signal to ECU with check terminals TE1 and E1

Now my questions are ..

Code 41 - How would i go about fixing this problem? I've had a choking/struggling problem that i've been trying to find out for ages. Symptoms are .. like running out of petrol, no matter how much gas i give it, it won't move, like it's struggling or choking. Could this code 41 diagnosis be the answer to this problem?

Code 51 - Could this code 51 diagnosis be the answer to this problem? And what's IDL & A/C stand for? I'm taking a guess that A/C = air con, but i'm not sure since i'm a hopeless mechie.

I've changed the sparkies, leads, rotor button and dizzy cap, and even the TPS. Now the codes 41 & 51 are gone since i changed the TPS and i have no more error codes on the ECU.
'WAS' happy for the 2 or so weeks that i had no problems, but suddenly the 'choke' sprung up again Nope Re-setted the ECU and still not logging any error codes, all clear.
I don't think it's fuel related (but i could be wrong), there's no smoke or any pop/bang noises, it feels more like somethings holding or jamming the accelerator cable, but it looks fine when i rev and a mate is watching the engine bay.
Anyone know what else i can try? Could it be O2 sensor? AFM? ECU?

Nope x 10

Anyone with any solutions is greatly appreciated.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 March 2005 01:00]

Send a private message to this user    
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
51 sounds normal, used to get it on my 4age as well and pretty much every 4age i've ever seen had this code come up, toyota weirdness ive put it down to

tps cuold be your prob, maybe try and fit a new one, grab one from a mates car when hes not looking, or from a wrecker, reset the ecu and see if the fault still comes up

other than that sorry mate, no ideas.

StreetweaponX
Occasional Poster

November 2004

Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i've changed the TPS recently, the codes are now gone, but the problem still persists Crying or Very Sad

Thanks though
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could try the fuel pump *fix* like remove the relay to the fuel pump and replace with a thick wire, basically to give the fuel pump 12v constantly instead of switching between 9v and 12v

could isolate fuel pressure issues?

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When you put the TPS on you need to adjust it properly... its not just a case of bolting the sucker on.
Did you adjust it as per the manual?
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the same problem i had and fixed (fingers crossed). However i never got any errors codes, also when it was cold it went like a bucket of crap like i mean bad, when driving on the freeway it would happen and when you try and boost nothing happen. I changed just about everything sent it to mechanic's and still nothing, i ended up changing a temp sensor(spare one sitting around) in the radiator and since then its been fine for about a 6 weeks now. I guess one good thing from all that was most parts a new now.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem, its to do with spark, its not leads or plugs its the coil, check that out its probably on its way out. If that dosnt fix your problems then i would suggest changing the ignighter. But im sure is a spark problem what you explain sounds the same as what i had i changed the ignitor(EMS) and coil.
StreetweaponX
Occasional Poster

November 2004

icon10.gif  Re: ENGINE PROBLEM ON 3SGTE SW20 MR2 =( Tue, 15 March 2005 05:51 Go to previous message
Toobs - Yeah i re-adjusted it by the books, also just as a guide i also left a mark where the old was was exactly.

3sfe - Yeah i've also recently changed my temp sensor since my gauge wasn't working. So that couldn't be the culprit right now, but i changed the temp sensor in the engine bay, never knew there was one ni the radiator? What parts have you changed by the way?

MR.2 - How much am i looking at for the ignitor and coil?

Thanks to everyone's thats replied so far, keep it up Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:parking sensor link up
Next Topic:T3 vs TRD short-shifter for t-50 box?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 13:38:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.076785087585449 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.