Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
TRD diff oil Wed, 09 March 2005 10:06 Go to next message
Hey peoples. I'm planning on getting some genuine TRD lsd oil shipped from Japan. I'm getting it from Castle Hill Toyota but they said they normally don't get it in so i figured if anyone else wanted some as well, I could just put in a bigger order with them.

Be warned though... the stuff is NOT CHEAP at $35 for a 1L tin. My sprinter has a 1.3L diff so I'll need at least 2 bottles. Yep, $70 for a diff oil change Shocked I have no idea if they'll give it to us for any cheaper if we have some interest but I don't want to turn this into a group buy or anything (i'm WAY too busy as it is) so Sydney interest only please.

I don't actually know the SAE rating on it but TRD has diff oil for FR and FF engine/drive. I figure since i have a TRD lsd, the oil should be most suited for it anyways. I told them I'd get back to them by Monday so if no-one else wants any by then, I'll just put in an order for me.

Eddie.
  Send a private message to this user    
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I take it the oil is fully sythetic. Front Wheel Drives have a combined gearbox and diff, you sure that this oil is correct for FWD aswell?

Cheers
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 21:06

I don't actually know the SAE rating on it but TRD has diff oil for FR and FF engine/drive.

If you read the post carefully you'll see that there is diff oil for both RWD and FWD. They are different.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesus! $35/ltr!!!!
Don't buy it at that price... full synthetic gearbox oil (using the highest grade PAO's) should be <$10/ltr!!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just checked the TRD site to see what the TRD LSD oil is and the only two things of interest I found was:

Quote:

*Care should be take with car which has performed the tuning as it will be restricted by traffic regulations when driving on public road.

Quote:

A drive system with an LSD (limited slip differential) encounters extremely rigorous lubrication and fricyion conditions, and requires a special oil. TRD limited slip differentials have gained a large following for use in races, rallies and other motor sports events. TRD LSD oil is a gear oil that brings out the best performance in an LSD.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah well i have a 2 way TRD lsd in my car. I'd really prefer to use THE best quality for it seeing as they're over $1000 if I break it. $70 for a diff change that comes every 10 months or so I figure is a good investment.

Eddie.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Big T wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 19:39

Yeah well i have a 2 way TRD lsd in my car. I'd really prefer to use THE best quality for it seeing as they're over $1000 if I break it. $70 for a diff change that comes every 10 months or so I figure is a good investment.

Eddie.

I rekon if you drive your car hard, your better off changing cheaper oil more often.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Sun, 13 March 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 21:23

I rekon if you drive your car hard, your better off changing cheaper oil more often.

Well I actually don't drive the car often at all. It's out of rego at the moment (and will be until 4agte arrives Very Happy )and I have a second car to get around in. Either way, I'll be putting in an order tommorrow for a couple bottles.

Eddie.
Initial_D
Regular

February 2005
Re: TRD diff oil Mon, 14 March 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sun, 13 March 2005 18:41

Jesus! $35/ltr!!!!
Don't buy it at that price... full synthetic gearbox oil (using the highest grade PAO's) should be <$10/ltr!!!

Fully Synthetic Castrol 1L retails for $28, so for genuine TRD one, $35 sounds about right.

Cheers
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Mon, 14 March 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have two bottles of TRD LSD OIL FR it is GL-5 85/140 the part number is A0420-A0001 that I have never used, still unopened, I find Castrol SAF-XA to work really good, I found mineral lsd broke down very quickly - after 3 months no good, SAF-XA lasts well over a year before breaking down, it's $20 a bottle which is twice the price of mineral BUT with mineral I was changing 4 times a year, so SAF-XA looks cheap!!
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: TRD diff oil Tue, 15 March 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
These prices are harsh... $20-28/ltr for full synth castrol? $35/ltr for TRD?

Seriously if you are paying much more than $10/ltr for full synthetic API GL5 85W/140 OR API GL5 LS90 oil you are getting ripped off!
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Tue, 15 March 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 15 March 2005 17:45

Seriously if you are paying much more than $10/ltr for full synthetic API GL5 85W/140 OR API GL5 LS90 oil you are getting ripped off!

But isn't this like saying "it doesn't matter what 98 ron fuel you put in your car... it's all 98 ron"?

Eddie.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: TRD diff oil Tue, 15 March 2005 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD are just buying the oil from someone else the same as Toyota Australia buy their oil from Castrol (or last I heard they did).

Also re: 98RON fuels they are all 99% the same its just the additives which vary slightly.
And even if you thought mobil 8000 was the best 98RON you wouldn't go buy it when you could get Vortex 98 for a third of the price would you?
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: TRD diff oil Tue, 15 March 2005 21:51 Go to previous message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 07:46

And even if you thought mobil 8000 was the best 98RON you wouldn't go buy it when you could get Vortex 98 for a third of the price would you?

True that Laughing . But I'm also not filling my diff every week either. For the moment, I'll stick with TRD (yes I'm a spendthrift Laughing ) and then use a different oil the next time to see if they are the same.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Show us your car!
Next Topic:Calling Toyota Owners In Canberra
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 11 00:30:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.040911912918091 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.