Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 16:06 Go to next message
Hey All,

My MA61 fan speed doesn't run on low yet is able to be used on medium and High. The car can use Auto but i don't have the first fan spead avaliable taht i don't need a gale blowing in the car. I just want a small breze. Can anyone help?
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no doubt it will be a bad fan speed resistor. Will be under or behind the glove box
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It has to be a bad earth, it just has to be Razz
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What does the resistor look like? I haven't got any idea what it looks like.

Cheers.
grimwolge
Regular

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BansheeBuzz wrote on Tue, 03 June 2003 06:40

no doubt it will be a bad fan speed resistor. Will be under or behind the glove box

Spot on

older Nissans are notorious for it

I think you should be able to trace the wire back from the console to around the glovebox area as mentioned by BansheeBuzz

Makes a hell of a lot of difference being able to use your fan on low Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Mon, 02 June 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I THINK the resistor on those is mounted in the fan body, or at least somewhere in the air path - reef out the glovebox, it'll be easy to spot.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the fan speed resistor is down in the foot well area of the passenger, under the glove box (I didn't have to remove my glove box, just the cover pannel under the glove box).

It will be screwed into the air box near the actual fan. (for resistors they have little coils of wire which are cooled by the actual airflow, no doubt the smallest one is broken as was mine).

What you'll need to do is remove it, see that it is broken, then with care try and scrap off most of the oxidation so that when you try and solder it can stick to it. Then what I did was to get a small piece of wire and wrap it around to join the two coils that had broken, and solder the wire into place. Then I checked that it worked and used so glue over the area of work to make sure it never cam loose again!

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Tue, 03 June 2003 00:37]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome to the world of old Toyotas. I think most of them were stuffed from new.

Any one know if you can get new ones from Toyota?

What does it actually do? I have never been too concerned about it but it would be nice to fix it. I just rebuilt the heater in my car a couple of weeks ago, saw the resister and left it thinking it was part of the aircon system. (I don't have aircon)
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What am i looking for? i have the glove box out but i can't see where it is or where to start.

Cheers...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony, where are these in the RAs? Low doesn't work on mine either, might pull out the resistor and see if I can get another.

Cheers
Joel
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I am barking up the right tree, have a look on the heater box (not the fan motor, the bit above the tunnel) and you will see a 2 pin plug going into the side of it. Inside the box, it hooks up to a pretty crusty looking bit of fuse wire that is corroded, bent and more than likely long since dissapeared.

I thought it was part of the aircon when I saw it. I did actually try and get the heater working on low and checked the switch, thinking that that was the problem. It checked out OK, so I just assumed that the motor had had the rat.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Tue, 03 June 2003 13:43

What am i looking for? i have the glove box out but i can't see where it is or where to start.

Cheers...

Chances are that you don't even need the glove box out!
Search just above floor level! You will most likely have to remove one plastic "panel" if thats the word for it that sits above the passengers feet when they are in there.

Then it should have a plug going into it (can remember but I thought it had 4 wires going into off the top of my head). It should be screwed (2 screws) into the box so all you can see if a black thing with plug. Be kinda careful when taking it out as the coils of wire that act as resistors are exposed.

If you still can find it let me know and take a pic of where mine is, actually in a month or two I might take some photos and write an article if they will chuck it in the the article section.

Cheers
Wilbo
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 03 June 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Tue, 03 June 2003 15:23

ZZT231 wrote on Tue, 03 June 2003 13:43

Cheers...

Search just above floor level! You will most likely have to remove one plastic "panel" if thats the word for it that sits above the passengers feet when they are in there.

Then it should have a plug going into it (can remember but I thought it had 4 wires going into off the top of my head). It should be screwed (2 screws) into the box so all you can see if a black thing with plug. Be kinda careful when taking it out as the coils of wire that act as resistors are exposed.

If you still can find it let me know and take a pic of where mine is, actually in a month or two I might take some photos and write an article if they will chuck it in the the article section.

Cheers
Wilbo

I got leads and crap going everywhere so i don't know what to look for... Sad
Its dark now and i am at work tomorrow after uni. I'll try and work on it Friday... but still. I don't know what to look for...
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 04 June 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found the resistor!

I pulled it out and put it back in thinking it is part of the heater Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks for your help...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 04 June 2003 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does it work now ZZ? My fan doesn't work on Low either, and it bugs the crap out of me.... and then I took my Grandfather's 89 Camery s/wagon for a drive and his doesn't work on low either!

So I will have a look for this resistor you are talking about and see if I can fix it, but I really don't know what I am looking for exactly. If anyone wants to stick some photos up I would be very grateful, or you can show me on Friday if you are coming. Smile

Rob
RA60_Celica
Regular

February 2003
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 04 June 2003 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any resistor will do all a resister is a unit which controls the amount current being flowed through the circuit you can pick up replacement ones at auto stores or even tandy and dick smith as long as u get the connections right
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 04 June 2003 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Wed, 04 June 2003 16:18

So does it work now ZZ? ...
So I will have a look for this resistor you are talking about and see if I can fix it, but I really don't know what I am looking for exactly..

Rob

To put it in simple terms. I couldn't get it fixed. The coil is made of tungston and cannot be soldered by a soldering iron. I have to now go and either find a second hand one or buy a new one... It is snapped on one of the coils. If anyone is in Melbourne and is happy to help me please drop a line Smile

Anyway. It's on the blower side of the box and not mounted on the heater... there is a 2 screws that are holding it in place. it's no bigger then a matchbox when looking at it from behind... though the resisitors are around a matchbox in length in the box. Look for 4 wires. to help if you have a electric wiring diagram, look for the blower resistor and all the wires that come out. note it down and search of it. usually it is mounted in front of you...

I have not decided to buy a new one or swap it over with my SA63...

Hope that helps.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 04 June 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I guess that this resister is measuring either air temperature or air speed and adjusting the fan speed accordingly. That means that if you just substitute a fixed resister, then the fan speed will remain constant.

If anyone with a working low speed fan can confirm that the fan changes speed with temperature that might clear things up.

It is obviously there for a reason. I am guessing and this really is a guess, that it is there to prevent some of the heater components from getting too hot. That is, when the temp is high around the heater core, it speeds up the fan motor, increasing airflow. A bit of a safety mechanism if you like.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 05 June 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are just open, wire wound resistors - simple as that. And since they dissipate a fair amount of heat, they are best placed inside the heater box so that they dont pose a potential hazard to burns, fires etc. There is no problems with replacing them with a suitable ceramic coated wire wound resitor available from Jaycar etc.

Toyota has been using this same method of fan speed control since the 60's.. right into the 90's! Thats why you find the same problem on all these differing models.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 05 June 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or as Witzl said it is just a cheap crappy resister. In which case my argument is null and void. It sounded good though Very Happy

I might have to measure the resistance of my damaged one and come shopping at Jaycar hey Witzl Razz
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 05 June 2003 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey ZZ don't go throwing in the towel like that buddy!

Mine had the two coils "split" or not connected as well, how I managed to fix mine was to remove most of the oxidation carefully (I think I scraped mine off with a pocket knife?) and then get a small piece of multi strand wire. With the wire I made a little loop around the two ends of the resistor / wire that had broken and tightened it (I think I used some really small pliers) so that the coils were touching again. Then I went and soldered the wire that was looped around connecting the two broken coils to make sure there was a connection!
(At this stage it is a good idea to check with a multimeter to see that you actually do have continuity, if not try starting again Confused).

Then I went and covered the area in super glue so that wouldn't vibrate apart.
Problem solved! Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 05 June 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone actually spoken with Toyota to see if these things can be replaced. The whole idea of repairing a busted fuse seems a bit silly.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 05 June 2003 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its not really a fuse dude.

And really its almost free to fix it if you have any sort of soldering skills (And I mean really basic), why would you bother replacing it? If you look at the design there is no real reason that you shouldn't repair it (either by my soldering technique or a ceramic resistor as Witzl said) , in my opinion Smile.

Cheers
Wilbo
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 10 June 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wilbo666 wrote on Tue, 03 June 2003 15:23

Search just above floor level! You will most likely have to remove one plastic "panel" if thats the word for it that sits above the passengers feet when they are in there...

Here is pictures of my MA61 Dash! (Similar for xA6x Dash)
http://www.austarmetro.com.au/~tenorman/Blower/Location1.jpghttp://www.austarmetro.com.au/~tenorman/Blower/Location2.jpg

I did have to remove my glovebox to get acess to the blower resistor...

Cheers.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 10 June 2003 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS. Still looking for the blower resistor... Confused
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 10 June 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get a resistor of the correct resistance that can handle a large current from Dick Smith or Tandy. Radio Parts might be near you on Princes Hwy (near Chaddy).
You have my number (PM/email me if you haven't). If you can be bothered coming all the way out to my place, I'll fix it for you.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Tue, 10 June 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT: You have mail.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 19 May 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to drag this one back to light, but does anyone know what the resistance of these is?

Now that I am using the heater again, I want it fixed. My trip to work looks a little like this Embarassed
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gold28 wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 08:41

Sorry to drag this one back to light, but does anyone know what the resistance of these is?

Now that I am using the heater again, I want it fixed. My trip to work looks a little like this Embarassed

You dont need to use a set resistance. You can try any size resistor and see if you're happy with the speed.
The way the fan speed resistor normally works is by putting different resistance values inline with the power supply to the fan motor. The higher the resistance, the slower the fan will spin. For high speed you simply use no resistance(ie straight power to the fan motor).

By the way, have you priced a new one from toyota?
You might be suprised

Brad
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my ma70 does the same thing!
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my corolla does same thing Shocked . Looks a bit of trouble to fix it though. Has 3 other speed settings I think.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:42]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are a few different coiled wires that are attached to a block that makes up the blower resistor. Basically replace each one with the corresponding length and diameter of wire to achieve the correct resistance.

oooooooor you could try and weld up the broken wires.........but from all accounts the wires dont like that.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 22:31

oooooooor you could try and weld up the broken wires.........but from all accounts the wires dont like that.

It can be done (I have done it).

Ohterwise if you want to know the resistance take the resistor block out and measure the remaining ones and choose a higher resistor (not sure on the wattage required, but I'm guessing it will be up there) that the highest already there, and that should give you a lower speed...

(i wrote a dodgey tech article of sorts regarding how I repaired mine for ed, but he never got around to hosting it to my knowledge...)

Cheers
Wilbo
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i still have it!!

i have no webspace!
i have like 20 articles on my hdd No No No
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Thu, 20 May 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boo for ed Razz lol, someone give him some webspace! Very Happy

(and someone give me a 7m Razz )

Cheers
Wilbo
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 16 March 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, I'm trying to rectify all my wiring issues while my dash is in pieces. Where exactly did it end up being?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 16 March 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The blower resistor... It's most probabily been the case. I have had AUTO, low, medium & high fan speeds work after I fixed it... My dad pointed it out to me Smile ... And no... My parts department could not locate one for me as they got me a Celica one and not one for the Celica-Supra.

Cheers.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 16 March 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it screws into the air con assembly with 2 screws directly behind the glovebox.

i actually removed a perfect one from a wreck when i was out at a wrecker a few weeks ago.......and i must of left it on the seat and forgot to take it with me!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Internal Fan blower doen't work on LOW! Wed, 16 March 2005 13:42 Go to previous message
Okay, must have been on the middle blanking section I had when I first bought the car. I'll plug it in and check it out, cheers.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Larger Carby for 4AFC
Next Topic:Lookin for help
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 01:01:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.088744878768921 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.