Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Painting Metal flake Tue, 15 March 2005 10:25 Go to next message
Hey there

thinking of painting my car a solid colour and mixing in some metal flake to make it stand out, has anyone painted with flake before? I have no idea how to apply it., how to mix it etc

Some guidence would be great!
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Tue, 15 March 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im guessing no one knows
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Tue, 15 March 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paint the car as per normal... once done you spray the flake/glitter and then clear... you need to let it dry for a couple days and then rub it back with 1200 and then clear again
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so pretty much solid base coat first and let that dry, need to sand with 1200 before i spray the flake or not?

also. any special prep or different spray gun needed with metal flake?

Cheers
Simon
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spray solid 3-4 coats, spray flake to your desire, spray clear... let it dry for a couple days, rub it back and re clear

you can use a standard gun for all of it... DO NOT try and do it the acrylic way as it wont work!!!!!! this HAS to be done 2PAC style Rolling Eyes Laughing WEST SIDE

but seriouly it needs to be done 2PAC style
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive never sprayed two pack in my life.... done a heap of acryllic jobs that look sensational but got no idea how to do 2packs,

whats the reasoning behind why flake wont work with acryllic?
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cuz acrylic paints are watery and come from the EASTSIDE Laughing Laughing

man, 2PACK is SOOOOOO much better than fuckin acrylic crap, colours are more solid and you get the benefit of adding a hardner which can cut down drying time.

what did you use to use when you were a kid - water paint or enamel paint?! Twisted Evil
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okok

tell me how to do it Wink
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont rub metal flake Rolling Eyes cos thats the effect your after, other wise you'll rub the tops off the metal flakes them self and it will look dull and shit

mate of mine just painted his kingswood, with a metal flake roof, dash and interior (hes a spray painter by trade) and it looks great, and he didnt rub the metal flake, just put a few extra coats of clear over it if anything.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously, rubbing back with 1200 aint gonna do shit to the metal flakes, (unless your doing some serious harcore rubbing) it will mearly reduce the amount of orange peel in the clear caused by the flakes.

Cheers

Steve
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and you think you wont have to rub much to get orange peel out? Confused theres no reason why it should go orange peel if done correct, but anyway, iv said what i need to, at the end of the day, its up to you simon how you do it.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 March 2005 10:17]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you rub it back because depending how much you put it comes out rough... there are 2 types of flakes/glitter.

you have your normal stuff which come in metal/silver and the rainbow colour. these are quite big pieces and you definately need to rub it back.

then there is the really fine flake. this is the one twincam_ke20 is talking bout. this you dont relly need to rub cause it is so fine that the clear coat can cover it enough to keep it smooth. but as he said you have to put a couple more coats over it

the reason for 2PAC spray is cause thats what it was designed for. for oven use, there was no flakes before 2PAC came out and the ingredients with in the flake compound is meant to be done in an oven. flakes are quite sensitive and the smallest amount of dirt will take them right off. YES all paint will come off if there is dirt under there but the flakes are alot easier

your best bet is to get someone to do it for you if you wanna go down the flake path. if you stuff it up its a big job to clean it all up and respray it again. unlike paint you can rub the section back and respray with flake you would need to do it all over as by doing a section it will come out different then the rest of the car.

also with the flake you should spray it in one go evenly to keep an even spread of the stuff all over. doing section by section will usually cause some parts to have it packjed in with flake and others to have nothing there
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuck the rice shit simon.

paint it supra engine bay grey and lay about 50 clearcoats on the fucker

make it look like a giant grey jellybean!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remember 2pac is very bad for your health.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know about that, i'll be getting propper breathing gear

this wont be baked in an oven, at best it will be out side in the sun with halogen lights around it.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 16 March 2005 20:11

yes i know about that, i'll be getting propper breathing gear

this wont be baked in an oven, at best it will be out side in the sun with halogen lights around it.

under the tree( i realise if its in the sun, it wont be under a tree!) where the neighbourhood pidgeons sit? and next to the dog kennel?

shit man, you need to do it in an ENCLOSED environment, unless you want your paint to be shit? in which case, get you dog, cat, canaries, budgies, kangaroos, neighbourhood pigoens, the jims mowing fella and the old lady down the street who sweeps constantly, over to help you, then do your paint job Smile

Cheers,

Eldar.O.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Wed, 16 March 2005 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
personal opinion IN THE OVEN but the car is yours...
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Thu, 17 March 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see no over here Wink besides im doing it on the cheap

worse somes to worse i'll make up a booth out of tarp Wink
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Thu, 17 March 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't you get in trouble by the "authorities" for spraying 2PAC in your back yard?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Thu, 17 March 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably, what isnt illegal these days..
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Thu, 17 March 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 17 March 2005 13:03

probably, what isnt illegal these days..

werd.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simple solution to the legal side of spraying 2Pak.

"Get the cyanide free typeof 2Pak!"

Best time of day to paint outdoors, 8:00 to 10:30am. lowest wind, and least chance of bugs.

Clean environment is really important for a decent paint job. Damp down the area surrounding yor car, keeps the dust down.

regards Chuck.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Not sure whether you've ever heard of this but if you're spraying 2pac and you don't have a spray booth, won't the overspray travel. So even if you were wearing protective gear what about the neighbours? Or their pets etc. Just wonderin what peops think? I think what I said is what Boris was saying.
Thanks
Troy
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dog is so used to my 2pac smell he just lays down and soaks it all in Laughing
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86slaver wrote on Fri, 18 March 2005 19:05

my dog is so used to my 2pac smell he just lays down and soaks it all in Laughing

take a wiff of that shit doggggg
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i thought u need to show ur license when u buy 2pac?
im pretty sure its illegal as a backyard job - ask the guy
who spent 2 days coughing up green stuff lol, he didnt use
any protective gear at all, tool! its pretty potent stuff,
where do you get the cynaide free 2pac stuff from?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2005 09:13]

Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2005 22:00]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Painting Metal flake Fri, 18 March 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this is the first that i have heard when it comes to being illegal or requiring a licence to get 2PAC paint....

anyone can buy it but you cant spray in the back yard, firstly cause that illegal and secondly it would come out SSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO CRAP

if the oven isnt as clean as an hospital pros get specs and stuff on it at times so imagine outside and no TARP will help
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Painting Metal flake Sat, 19 March 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2drift's AE86 came out awesome and it was done at home, also 2 pac. have a look in members rides.
Farkurnell
Regular

February 2005

Re: Painting Metal flake Sat, 19 March 2005 03:01 Go to previous message
Metalflake??
Have we gone back in time?
Is this 1975?
You'll be putting Hot Dog mufflers and a set of ROH kidney mags on it next. Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel Widths for Sprinter
Next Topic:Help with how to convert 2t to 2t-G
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 31 14:36:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077600479125977 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.