Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Sat, 30 November 2002 16:07 Go to next message
My friend is looking at buying a Carlos Sainz ST185 GT4. WE would like to know if anyone knows what particular differences we should check for to ensure it is a legitimate Carlos Sainz Group A? Things like VIN series? Indentifying the intercooler? Or anything else outstanding that can be quickly checked to verfy that it is in fact a Carlos Sainz Group A?

Thanks people!
  Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Sat, 30 November 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first thing to lok for is the special edition plate in the engine bay - its in front of the radiator ..

it has which number it is and who was the original purchasers name on it - thats the easiest way to spot an original - if the plate hasnt been swapped from a smashed grp a

Secondly - they are water to air intercoolers , not air to air .. check for a small water top up thingy next to the intercooler - thats another quick way

the other changes are in mechanicals - stronger gearboxes and diffs , a few subtle changes here and there - and the obvious bonnet and front bumper changes

if in doubt - take down the cars vin / engine number - and call toyota direct - they SHOULD have a registry on the Grp A's

PS - i hope your frinnds prepared for the harder to get intercooler parts

A friend in QLD had a grp a 185 - the water pump for the intercooler - to replace with new cost him well in excess of 1000 dollars - just for the parts - 4 years ago ..

Overall the Grp A's are fantastic cars - but theres only a bees whisker in perfornmance differences between it and a standard GT4

The main differences come down to mechanical strength in the drivetrain - and the intercooler - Bar those - the cars are near on identical

He could save himself 5 - 10K buying a stock gt4 - and spend the extra cash on a better front mount intercooler - boost controller and suspension goodies , but then again if he wants the special edition - if left pretty mugh stock they do keep their value over the standard Gt4 ( sort of like a real GT falcon Vs's a hot XR8 comparison )

[Updated on: Sat, 30 November 2002 23:01]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

icon13.gif  Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Sun, 01 December 2002 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After inspection it appears that 126 of 150 has gone to twin cam heaven... then has been rebirthed into an over priced rice burner mobile...
The differences between the stock GT4 and the Group A probably are only minor, however, the uniqueness of the car is what interests me, add to that the fact that most people who would own a Group A would more likely have looked after their cars than the owners of the GT4 stock.
With cars like these it appears that you may need to pay a little more attention to the condition of the turbo and inter-cooler as I have now heard of quite a few stories of turbo fins fusing to pistons etc...

-Toobs (Witzls Mate)

BTW Cheers for the assistance today G
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Sun, 01 December 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries dude. It looks to be in good nick other than a few niggly bits but hey its a 12yr old car.
1 thing for sure is you'll need the standard bonnet or do a ring around and see if you can get a water to air setup for cheap from an importer.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

icon14.gif  Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Sun, 01 December 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Razz I might have something a little better lined up.... pending resolution ATM however its possible that I end up with an ST185RC after all, not through Baz though... I think it will be worth the wait or possible loss of the one from Baz... Don't like the thought of a dodgy turbo as it could cost more than the purchase price of the car to repair any damage stray fins may cause. Plus I only put the refundable deposit on the one from Baz because I thought it was an ST185RC.
One other thing I noticed while cruising the web... most of the overseas CSL's seem to have cut out bonnet scoops whereas the AU ones have the moulded scoop... is this the norm or are there just heaps of fakes overseas (esp europe)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Mon, 02 December 2002 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it was me and had money to burn, id get one like garys ( st205 )

they run about the 35 thousand mark last look and are pretty hard to get but they are true king hitters .. they are by far the BEST no questions asked celica ever built ..

power wise they piss on WRX's and evo's ( bar the latest STI's and Evo 7's ) and have a higher again level of build quality

sadly most of the cxarlos sainz ones - unless owned by enthusiasts - may have had rally life - ie used as a rallycar - then connverted back after the usage period came up ..

keep your eyes peeled - i only have ever seen 2 clean original and certified versions - and both owners wont part with them even for over market value ( believe me i asked !! )

Good luck in your search !
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: How to identify a ST185 Grp A Rally Mon, 02 December 2002 06:26 Go to previous message
Luke,

An ST205 is probably a good option i know of 1 for sale in QLD ATM very well looked after log books ETC, ETC. $30K he is buying a house and needs to sell. He's not even a rev head car is totally stock other than a turbo timer. Below is the link for when i posted it for him. I'm pretty sure it hasnt sold yet.

http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &goto=40396&rid=648&S=1b61038696669466 108d11e4b9ca8c91
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:congrats yogi
Next Topic:99 year old Toyota Driver
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 12:27:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.1061851978302 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.