Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Mon, 21 March 2005 15:30 Go to next message
Hey guys, just got some new tyres on, my old ones were 195/50/15 and these new ones are 195/60/15
I know it has fuked with my gears, cause it used to boot through well into red in 2nd, but now it takes for ever to get there and doesnt sound happy in red, and I think my speedo is reading that I am going slower than I actually am? Can someone please confirm this for me, just for the sake of speed cameras and crap:
smaller tyres = speedo saying faster than actual speed?
and
bigger tyres = Speedo reading slower than actual speed?

Thanks muchly!
-Whitchy-
  Send a private message to this user    
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Mon, 21 March 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are right, the speedo is showing less than you are actually travelling - I believe by just over 6%. Essentially, the new tyres have a smaller circumference, so every turn of the 60 profile wheel, you travel about 1900mm, where on the 50 profile you travel about 1800mm.

The speedo is calibrated to believe it is travelling 1800mm per revolution, where you are now travelling 1900mm.

PS don't quote me on the maths

[Updated on: Mon, 21 March 2005 20:08]

davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Mon, 21 March 2005 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Mon, 21 March 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miata.net?

You are so busted Razz
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Mon, 21 March 2005 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, I actually don't mind the MX5... but sorry to dissapoint you, it was googled.

Rather than tell whitchy to google it, I just pumped "tyre size calculator" into google and hit "I'm feeling lucky". It was actually quicker than typing out a witty comment encouraging whitchy to use the search feature or google.

Most people say "why hand a man a fish so he can eat for a day, when you can teach him to fish and let him eat for a lifetime", but I'm starting not to agree. Countless people have been taught to fish for information, but time and time again, people are still asking for the same fish Confused . Just give them a fish, it's freakin easier
duff_boy
Regular

January 2005
Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Tue, 22 March 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far as i know the 195/60/15 measures up as follows, 195 is the width of the tyre in mm, 60 is the size of the side wall expressed as a percentage of the width so it would be 60% of 195 and the 15 is obviously 15" rim size. But yeah, your car will now be travelling abit faster than what the speedo says.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: do bigger tyres = slower or faster than actual speedo readings? Tue, 22 March 2005 00:43 Go to previous message
the sidewall is 195x.6x2 for both sides + 25.4x15 = 615 mm
before was 195x.5x2= 576 mm
diff off 39mm which is 6.77 percent that it is under reading
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:clutch help needed, organic over brass for 200+rwkws
Next Topic:3TGTE + 2TG Head
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Jun 4 05:37:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040340423583984 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar