on the dangers that would be great
ive heard its dangerous shit

thanks guys

justin
  Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might want to look here http://www.asosh.org/Programmes/SORDSA/Isocyanates .htm

Considering its carcinogenic I wouldnt want to work with the stuff. Plus youll need a lot better stuff then youve listed there.
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark im scared
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate,
I used to be a spray painter for 6yrs in New zealand and S.Africa, I sprayed every day without a mask, and deliberately so. My days went so fast(flew by), one minute it was lunch time, the next minute it was home time. I was hooked on the sweet smell of the 2 pac paints, regardless of them being an isosyanate. I knew the harm of Isosyanates, and disregarded the warnings. I was found one day in the booth collapsed on the floor, caughing up blood. It takes 7yrs for the toxins and residues to leave your system, fresh cells will then regrow. I know all this because of what I had already gone through and all the professional advice given after.
Don't be scared of spraying 2pac, it takes along time for any effects to take place. The minimum precautions you should take is to at least cover all your skin with tight weave clothing and a good respirator type mask. I should take my advice sometimes, I still spray outdoors with no protection at all. I just make sure I'm behind a breeze. The problem with Isocyanate based paints is not only breathing in the fumes, but the Isocyanates getting into your system as easily as breathing in via your skin pores. I just resprayed my car last weekend taking a chance, and wouldn't advise it without taking at least the minimum precautions.
Tyvec make a disposable spray suit, as well as 3M and a few other companies. These are very cheap and well worth getting, they keep any fibres from your clothes from contaminating your sprayed surface. Of the 5 spray boothes I worked, only 1 of them had a seperate air fed spray suit and head mask.
Good luck with your spraying mate...
Go for it and enjoy.
Ciaran
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i already have a respirator it say do not use with isocynate based paints
so maybe i should get a new one
ill have to get a disposable spray suit
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MX73_drifter wrote on Fri, 25 March 2005 20:57

i already have a respirator it say do not use with isocynate based paints
so maybe i should get a new one
ill have to get a disposable spray suit

Make sure you get the right mask, i believe there is a specialmask for 2pak paints.

Would hate for you to pass out.

Cheers

Steve
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is very little difference in fume strength with auto paints, regardless of the isocanates. All the masks have a carbon or charcoal filter, there are no filtered masks that will cover isocyanate based paints, because the damage is in the air you breath, regardless of the fume filtering. That is why filters say not recomended for 2pac spraying. The only ones gauranteed are a very expensive air fed full head ventilated hood. If there is anyone that has any ideas on a disposable filtered mask especially equiped for isocyanate based paints then stand me corrected. Its gettin a bit late, so hope I'm not babbling on too much.... Hopefully you will enjoy your painting, and take your time in letting the paint flash off between coats. If you need hints, I got plenty of them..
Caio
Ta22lover
Regular

February 2005
Re: 2pac paints Fri, 25 March 2005 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also get "poisoned" with effect starting a few hours after your done painting, its not "dangerous" as far as i know, but i have experienzed it a couple of times myself, and several of my friends have too, seems like its common to get poisoned if you have bad ventilation or a bad mask, or if you get paint on ur skin and are standing in the aim of toxic chemicals unprotected.

Its like having a extremely bad hangover, or a light condition of cold turkey, cept in my case it lasted for 1-2 weeks, and it feels terrible, do whatever you can to avoid this happening to you..

be carefull and good luck Very Happy
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2pac paints Sat, 26 March 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't use anything less than a full alien suit...
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 2pac paints Sat, 26 March 2005 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah fuk it
ill just wear a mask a disposable spray suit
and hopefully ill be fine
ill let u guys know how it turns out

thanks for the help

justin
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2pac paints Sun, 27 March 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats the way mate, Fark it.
I just finished spraying my ke55 coupe today using Clear over Base, the best combination for competition looks. Try possition yourself behind the breeze, it will help your lungs.
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 2pac paints Sun, 27 March 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Try possition yourself behind the breeze, it will help your lungs

will do
thanks for the tip
ill post pics when im done
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 2pac paints Sun, 27 March 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup

Been doing it for few years now, just common sense will tell you that any inhalation of paint will fuck up your lungs so just hold your breath or wear a mask and spray in sessions.

2pack isn't as hazardous as many make it out to be, same application as acrylic but far better results.

I know which one i'll be using regardless of risk Very Happy Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 2pac paints Mon, 28 March 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't believe what I'm reading here!!!

You guys are all crazy Razz Laughing
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: 2pac paints Mon, 28 March 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah u got ta die from something
the im goin ill probably be dead or juvy within the next 2yrs

[Updated on: Mon, 28 March 2005 02:11]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 2pac paints Mon, 28 March 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it's all good, just take out a massive life insurance policy or something Very Happy
cwhelan
Regular

September 2004
Re: 2pac paints Mon, 28 March 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Steve,
You can't tell me that you've never sprayed 2pac without propper protection. Of all the pissing around with cars, it has to be done. A full respray will save you around $3000 if done right.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 2pac paints Tue, 29 March 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe - I used to have a nearby crash repairer that did special deals (very cheap) but he's moved away. Now if I have to paint anything I'll either get it done at a proper crash repairer (and let someone else take the risk Very Happy), or if the job doesn't need to look as good (ie a track car) then I'll just do it myself with plain old vanilla acrylic.

It can look quite good but it takes ALOT of work and also it's never quite as chip resistant as 2-pac paints and their ilk.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2pac paints Tue, 29 March 2005 05:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's all good and safe, just remember to wash your hands and body thoroughly in a benzene/toluene mix when you are finished and it should negate the long term effects of the isocyanates...

in fact, you should probably smoke while you are painting just to be sure you are safe from any long term ill-effects Wink

you think manufacturers put warnings on their products because they want to?
think governments draw up guidelines if they don't have to?
http://www.nohsc.gov.au/OHSInformation/Databases/A rchived/pamdetails.asp?pgmid=2229

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2pac paints Tue, 29 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thing to remember is:

people DO die from ignoring warnings on products that have been PROVEN to be harmful.

it may not happen overnight, but it probably will happen Razz

oh, and try not to smoke or drink for a few days after inhaling any solvents....

but yeah, in the end, your choice of death is a very personal one and should not be taken lightly.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2pac paints Tue, 29 March 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
{stoopid double post}

[Updated on: Tue, 29 March 2005 05:19]

ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2pac paints Tue, 29 March 2005 06:43 Go to previous message
Having just taught myself to spray paint after the roll, and decided against using 2Pac due to the greater health risks, i was able to get a really good finish easily using Acrylic,

The Tip. Use Protec Acrylic, it has better gloss straight off the gun compared to all the other Acrylic i tried, and with light compounding it looks as good as the 2pac.
(and dont paint when its 40 degrees outside in the sun hehehe )

happy painting.

Ben.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AC dizy in a 4AGE
Next Topic:212mm and 200mm 4AGE flywheel. *URGENT*
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 17:25:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082831382751465 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.