Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures*

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Wed, 30 March 2005 13:28 Go to next message
Changing the fluid in my transmission and cant make sense of the hokey cartoon diagrams they put in the manual. Im a noob, this being the first time i've attempted changing the gearbox fluid. Which plug is which on the S53 box? Similar ones are found in Camry's and MR-2's.

I've looked all over my spare and cant find any other plugs beside these:

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/gbox_side.JPG

I suspect this to be the filler hole - except when I open it (with the car level) fluid gushes from the box? Has the prev. owner somehow overfilled it or is this actually the drain? If so, where do i find the filler?!

http://members.optushome.com.au/an-d/images/gbox_front.JPG

Also found this which I'd assume to be the drain plug. The manual gearbox in these cars shares the same fluid between the box and the diff.

Any help would be appreciated as I need to finish the job soon!

Cheers,
Andy
  Send a private message to this user    
FASTFOO
Regular

February 2005
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Wed, 30 March 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your suspicions and assumptions are absolutely correct full marks Very Happy
regards
MATT.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Wed, 30 March 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the first pic that is the fill plug. what you will find most people do (including myself) is fill it up from the shifter, ie, unscrew the shifter and fill from there
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Wed, 30 March 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that guys, it had me stumped all afternoon. I owe ya a 6 pack or something!

Fade-e: Thanks for the tip! Filling from the shifter sounds a hell of a lot easier than trying to fill through that plug on the side, do I have to remove the actual shifter completely? Or is there another bolt (like one of the pivots) that I should undo? Could over-filling cause damage to the box?
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Wed, 30 March 2005 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the shifter usually has 4 bolts, remove all 4 and the shifter comes out. there may be brackets and what not wround the shifter when in the car aswell.

also when the shifter has been removed the gasket there needs to be changed. what i do personally (but not the best) is just use silicon gasket. i do this cause i change the oil in my gearbox every 3-6 months so i am always pulling it apart

overfilling isnt the best thing to do cause its like suffocating the box but what i do is unbolt the fill bolt and fill it from the top till it starts to come out (obviously have a bucket under there so it doesnt go on the floor. once it starts to overflow just put the bolt back in. with the excess i usually just pour it back in orather than throw it out
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Thu, 31 March 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure u cant fill via the shifter in a FWD car that uses linkages to the gb Laughing
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Thu, 31 March 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smashed_wombat wrote on Thu, 31 March 2005 02:11

Thanks for that guys, it had me stumped all afternoon. I owe ya a 6 pack or something!

Fade-e: Thanks for the tip! Filling from the shifter sounds a hell of a lot easier than trying to fill through that plug on the side, do I have to remove the actual shifter completely? Or is there another bolt (like one of the pivots) that I should undo? Could over-filling cause damage to the box?

HAHAHAHAAHHA made me laugh heheh *sniff*

dudes! it's a FWD box! if you try and fill from the shifter you will, well, you just can't! I was getting funny visuals then.

There are linkages from the shifter to the box. For a RWD car, it's a tops strategy.

Wombat, you got the right plugs there.

Just make sure the car is level, and when the oil starts running back out the filler hole, then you have the correct level. Too easy. You can get a nice oil pump with a spout for cheap from most auto places
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Thu, 31 March 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After taking another look at the box I had my doubts about the shifter filling method, the lock nut looked promising but a $2 funnel from supercheap saved the day in the end. If you thought that was funny Rob, you shoulda seen what I had to do. Laughing Somehow managed to fill it higher than the hole... so it is possible!

Thanks anyway, it was late last night when I posted this. Smile

BTW: Is gearbox fluid normally dark golden brown and kind of like runny honey? The fluid I put in was pink and kind of like water! So much smoother now!
warrior
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Thu, 31 March 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its recommended to use auto transmission fluid which is thinner. use dextron III its good for gear changes.

smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Gearbox plugs - which is what? Urgent! *pictures* Thu, 31 March 2005 10:08 Go to previous message
Yeah, I used Valvoline Dexron III ATF plus a Nulon additive. The old fluid that came out was what concerned me!

Thanks for your help guys - made the whole task a lot less painful!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cold air intake placement
Next Topic:AE86 BUSHES
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 03:40:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044310092926025 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.