Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Opinions on next car?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 08:08 Go to next message
I'm looking into selling the corolla, i've had fun in it but just don't want to start spending anymore money on it because i know it'll just get out of hand and in the end still be a corolla Razz

two cars that i'm thinking of are a AE86 or a ST165 celica. i'm not really interested in anything any bigger than these. basically i just want something as a good daily driver to work and also something that i can take out for a good drive (OPH).
I'm not currently keen on getting into drift and all that jazz although it does look pretty interesting. Basically i'm after a car that handles that i can learn from.

The biggest downside i see to the 165 is insurance, i'm 21 male and have no previous fines. Shannons quoted me $1700-1800 for comprehensive although since i can't keep the car in a lock up garage they won't give it to me and i dread what people like just car will quote me. However the 165 is something i've been a fan of for quite a while and wouldn't mind AWD with some boost. However i'm not sure on what the maintenance will be like on a 3SGTE

I'm quite keen on the AE86 for the lightweight rwd factor and the 4AGE which i've become quite a fan of with the corolla. the one thing against this lies in all the people that will ask me whether i drift and do i watch initial d, not to mention spare parts which i've seen as becoming hard to come by. an advantage i see in this is the insurance which will be nicer since i plan on keeping the car is NA.

I'm open to what everyone has to say on both cars, it won't be the deciding factor when i go to purchase my next car although i would like to hear what people have to say about both cars since they are at the top of my list.

I would look into modifying such components as the suspension as i saw the huge difference the camber kit made on the corolla.
  Send a private message to this user    
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id go the st165, imho it would be a nicer car to drive.

dont get me wrong, i love the nimble ae86's, but 3sgte is so much more desirable.

[Updated on: Thu, 31 March 2005 08:17]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're both hideously overpriced cars.

The ST165 because it's rare, and the AE86 because people are stupid.

The ST165 is prone to engine problems (first gen 3S-GTE) and the AE86 would've been thrashed by Takumi wannabes.

Why not get an xA6x and work it with the money you have left over?
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you concidered an ST185, over the 165?
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats your budget?, are you looking at other cars or just them two?.
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 31 March 2005 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im kinda keen on this but, alas, no money.
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=58118&start=0&rid=4474&S=584ffd9a2c5 0b26571e3face4165525b
It already goes and stops.
Fix up the suspension and I'm sure it would be pretty cool on the twisties.

finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
considered a 185 although the carlos sainz/grp a was all that i was really keen on although they're a bit pricey. also the fact that they are the heaviest of all three GT4's

benjamin, thats not really what i'm after, mainly looking at a 'sports' type car.

i'm beginning to lean towards an AE86, mainly for insurance and i've heard nothing but good reviews from owners.
time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
keep the rolla dude
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
might wanna also look at a Nissan NX-R
ive been trying to decide between them and an ST185/ST165
nice sporty lookin hatchback and have a SR20De engine (2L engine)

-Gaz
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forgive me if I'm wrong. But like you said

Quote:

just don't want to start spending anymore money on it because i know it'll just get out of hand and in the end still be a corolla Razz

An AE86 is still a corolla ain't it?
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
main difference is as to why i'd swap would be to go back to RWD

yian: you smartarse, i was sactually considering keeping my current plates and putting them on a sprinter if i bought one hahhaha Razz basically i'm just looking at something different

G-Phresh: why would i want to buy a nissan? Rolling Eyes
toyota all the way
G-Phresh
Regular

March 2005
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 17:29

toyota all the way

i know this is toymods but think outside the box yo Very Happy

-Gaz
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yian: you smartarse, i was sactually considering keeping my current plates and putting them on a sprinter if i bought one hahhaha Razz basically i'm just looking at something different

Haha sorry dude. No offence intended to sprinter owners, but I just had to. Surprised

On topic, AE86's are hideously expensive. Sure they got a cult following, but I don't know any other Toyota apart from a GT4 that has a more glorious history.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota performance I assume you're well-up on, so here's what else pops to mind. A brand is really just a badge (imho) when you buy this old - Most old cars carry fairly accurate reputations for reliability, so ask around!

I can assume a silvia/s13/s14 is right out of the question then, but would a stealth R32 Skyline do it for you? It's about the same size & weight as an st185 Celica, in GTR spec. lighter for RWD. If you want to stay N/A you can run an RB30 bottom-end (VL commonwhore) with an RB25DET (GTS-Turbo) head.

Did you want to modify it?

Early RX-7 with 13B Turbo ?

240Z ?

RS2000 Cortina ? (tarmac rally spec of course)

Original BMW M3 ? :
http://www.racepad.com/BMW/E30M3/images/E30M3-side.jpg

Ummm . . . struggling here.

What's your budget?

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Fri, 01 April 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G-Phresh wrote on Fri, 01 April 2005 17:48

toyota all the way

i know this is toymods but think outside the box yo Very Happy

-Gaz

No thinking outside the box, think outside the box on, nissansilvia.com.au Laughing .
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Sat, 02 April 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
budget, not too sure at the moment, was thinking around 10k. for that i'd like to have comprehensive insurance paid for aswell for the first year.

i'm not terribly interested in what heritige the car has or current following, i'm just looking at what is available that seems to fit my wants/needs.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Tue, 05 April 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much u want for ur rolla? my brothers in the market for one atm. u got ne pics? i think ive seen the car, i recognise the plates. i think i saw u in cominara parkway.

anyway if u shop around and be SMART u can get urself a good deal, just look at keals ae86 in member rides, his was far from overpriced and i dont think he's put too much into it to get it running. if he had 10k to being with hed have a lot of change!
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 06 April 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik, heres the thread i've got in the for sale section, i'm asking $4500....

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=64620&start=0&rid=3625&S=aef9c963980 db637d6c12d6eefeda522

quite honestly in my opinion its not the cleanest sx out there thus why i'm not asking top dollar. chances are you've seen the car around, even my dad notices me driving around since i got the red number plates on it.
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 06 April 2005 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look mate, get an AW11 SC and you will have the time of your life. Nuff said.
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 06 April 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote

They're both hideously overpriced cars.
The ST165 because it's rare, and the AE86 because people are stupid.

Laughing Classic line Laughing

$10,000 for the car and a year of comprehensive? How old are you? I don't think you've got much chance of anything force fed... Sad

Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 06 April 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
old_mr2 wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 17:30

Look mate, get an AW11 SC and you will have the time of your life. Nuff said.
Heh, exactly what I was going to say. Why not an MR2? Smile
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 06 April 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney wrote on Wed, 06 April 2005 17:20

quite honestly in my opinion its not the cleanest sx out there thus why i'm not asking top dollar. chances are you've seen the car around, even my dad notices me driving around since i got the red number plates on it.

don't downplay your car mate, from what i saw of it it looked pretty damn nice! Smile
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 07 April 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
called shannons about insurance on a 165 and they quoted me between $1700-1800 for comprehensive although they wouldn't give me the policy as i didn't have a lock up garage to keep the car in. Confused

Mx73_LuXoBarge: i'm 21 so insurance will be an issue, although i have no previous driving offenses which will help out a little bit.

old_mr2: i'm a big fan of the s/c AW11's i've been in 4agte's and mighty boy's and love the torque of the gze. although the car just isn't practical enough for me... i like having the ability to carry more than one person in the car.

merudo, yes it is a nice car, although i know plenty of other sx's which are tidier than mine. anyone knows the imperfections in thier car. although theres nothing better than going for a drive in it when its shining after a good wash Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Opinions on next car? Thu, 07 April 2005 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
finney u KNOW what u want buddy. Wink
Anabolic
Occasional Poster

September 2002

Re: Opinions on next car? Tue, 26 April 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah he does...

Men.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 27 April 2005 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeez, way to dig up an old thread Rolling Eyes
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 27 April 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not that old Razz

anyways i'm keeping the rolla and going nuts Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Opinions on next car? Wed, 27 April 2005 09:34 Go to previous message
Give justcars a call... they were the cheapest for full comprehensive on my car.
I'm under 25 but I've got max no claim.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:week end worrior
Next Topic:If women didnt take so long in the bathroom...
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 03:50:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068941116333008 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.