Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Whistle type noise?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 02:38 Go to next message
Hey guys last night i was driving my st165 gt4 and took off at a set of lights the car felt as if it wasnt making proper boost i checked the boost gauge it was reading the correct pressure but when it comes on boost it makes a whistle type noise (no not the spool from the turbo) like its got vaccum leak from some where. Any ideas whats wrong or where to start looking? Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check all the piping from the turbo to the throttle body. probaly a loose hose clamp.
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
does the car feel underpowered?is you idle smooth and does it rev cleanly?

if not, it might be a boost leak,this is what happened to my car and i found out i had a crack in my intercooler. Sad

as toof said:check your clamps and make sure the pipe joiners aren't split.also check the join where your boost guage is connected.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aust162 wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 18:05

if not, it might be a boost leak,this is what happened to my car and i found out i had a crack in my intercooler. Sad

wouldnt that count as a boost leak ?
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it does feel underpowered and doesnt rev smoothly/cleanly. thats exactly what its doing i just pulled the intercooler off all the hoses and clamps look fine and were all tite. How do i find a crack in the intercooler? Ive checked over it, looks okay but there is a few marks and scratches on it.
What is the best way to find a crack? Thanks
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
remove the cooler seal one end fill it with petrol and see if it leaks. its also a great way of cleaning any crap out of it. you'll find oil can build up in there from the cam cover vent hose. obviously be careful when doing this, ie dont smoke at the same time Razz

drain the fuel then dry the cooler with compressed air. id check allyour hosing first though better chance of a loose hose clamp or a cracked pipe.
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks toof, any other ideas any one?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can also use diesel to clean,, shade safer in the sense it wont explode if your face quite as eaisly.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or you can do it the opposite way. plug the ends and dunk it in a pool of water. air bubbles are your enemy
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry, i didnt't write it too clearly , my bad Smile
umm.. does ur boost/vac guage show that your reading less vaccumm?while the car is idling pop your head under the bonnet,if u can hear hissing or a whistle sound try to track it down. move around the vacc hoses and put your hand over the joiners.if you find a suspect spot then grab a can of aerostart and spray it on it.if there's a hole the aerostart will get sucked into the intake and u will hear the idle rise for a second as the aerostat burns off..
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it whistles only when on boost while driving not at idle thats why im suspecting a boost leak not a vaccum leak.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Sun, 03 April 2005 19:25

or you can do it the opposite way. plug the ends and dunk it in a pool of water. air bubbles are your enemy

very true. the fuel in the cooler is a nice way to clean it out as well.

that said the water is probaly a little safer. i just dont like the idea of water anywhere near the inlet system Razz
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you think at this stage it only leaks under boost?and at vaccumm the car is ok?

depending on the size and location of the leak, air could be escaping both at idle/off boost (vaccumm) and under boost, in my case it was leaking at both through a crack in the intercooler. i could hear it hissing at idle and the vacc guage was only at about 16Mg instead of about 19-20Mg.

if its just a boost leak,then the leak is small and only opening up on boost (above atmospheric pressure)
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one thing to consider cause i get it often at work is a blocked exhaust, most likely the cat. take the cat out and have a look to see if its melted or has dislodged. if the exhaust is restricted it will often make a whistling noise and lose power but idle fine.
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Sun, 03 April 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vacc has dropped a bit like 1 or 2 mg, i just had a good listen at idle and i do hear a leak. ill check the cooler 2mrw. ill let u know how i go. thanks

[Updated on: Sun, 03 April 2005 11:07]

Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Mon, 04 April 2005 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just checked the cooler, no cracks by the looks of it. had it in water sealed up and filled woth petrol, no leaks, i just look ed at ,my boost gauge line and where it connects to the manifold looks like its fair chewed up, could that cause the leak and the car not to rev cleanly?
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Mon, 04 April 2005 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay just reinstalled the cooler and all the pipes, noise has gone but still a bit of a weird intake/vaccum sound just behind the inlet manifold. Any ideas?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Whistle type noise? Mon, 04 April 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the sake of like $3 why dont you replace the dodgy hose to be sure?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Whistle type noise? Mon, 04 April 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah replace the dodgy looking bit of hose... simple rule. "if it looks shit, smells like shit, probaly is"

if that dosent solve it start looking for all joins in hoses that could be the culprit and start hitting them with start ya bastard and listen to the engine.
Nimrod
Regular

May 2003
Re: Whistle type noise? Mon, 04 April 2005 11:12 Go to previous message
replaced hose, will try the start ya bastard spray 2mrw. Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Audio Wire Diagram
Next Topic:1GGTE into RA60 celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-