Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
predator
Newcomer

April 2005
ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Tue, 05 April 2005 11:21 Go to next message
I am just having a look around a bit, as I am keen on getting a 2nd car as a daily driver. And a corolla looks to be one of the best bets, and there looks like a heap of potential later on if I do decide to tune it up to a FWD beast. I'd probably prefer the hatch, but liftback would do. Too many sedans out there Mad

I've been doing a bit of reading around on them, but I think I am more confused than ever!

From what I can gather, in about 1989 they started offering the AE92.. which all came with the 4AGE 1.6L twin cam engine with around 105kw ? correct?

Now there is the AE82 which was also selling in 1989 and from about 1986? But came with around 86kw? But these were also available in twin cams at some point?? What is the difference in the actual engines between AE82 and AE92 ??

I understand there was a supercharged engine, but not too interested in that for the moment. What other engines were available and with which models? There is talk of twin cam, single cam, carby, EFI, and they are all 1.6 - so which is available with which in australia?? so confused!

Is there an FAQ or something I can find the answers to these questions? I have trawled the forum a bit, but bits and pieces all over the place.

Also: what can I expect to pay at the lower end of the scale? I want something that is not going to fall apart on me, but.. paint, interior, etc can be a bit rough.

The AE92 seems to look a fair bit nicer, but to be honest not *that* fussed about the looks, just the engine and price.

Apparently they are all as reliable as rocks, and good for a 200-300,000km ?
  Send a private message to this user    
ROLLA GTi
Regular

September 2003
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Tue, 05 April 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE82 4AGE "Bluetop" "Big Port" 86kw with TVIS

AE92 4AGE "Redtop" "Small Port" 100kw

*added for a more specific corolla forum head over tohttp://www.twincam.org

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2005 11:48]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Tue, 05 April 2005 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both ae82's and ae92's (i think) came with multiple engine options in australia

that ae92/105kw would be the small port
ae82/86kw is big port (again, i think, not sure on this)

ae82's had single and twin cam version, the twin cam being identified by the stickers on the back doors, or the steering wheel, or the grille (like in my avatar Very Happy ) they had the 4age
4ac's and 4afe's (or were they only in ae92's?) were single cam

in the engine codes:
c = carby
e = efi
g = bigger cam (?) angle
f = smaller cam angle

my ae82 seca was $2800 with minor rear quarter rust and 360000kms, and things are starting to break Sad (only had it a couple of months, about 2000kms) so yeah, id say they'd be good for around 300000-350000kms, depending on whether they've been thrashed or not

go to the toymods home page and click on "articles" on the left nav bar. there's heaps of stuff in there Smile

edit: yeah, what he said ^^^

[Updated on: Tue, 05 April 2005 11:49]

WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Wed, 06 April 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skellator wrote on Tue, 05 April 2005 21:48

or the grille (like in my avatar Very Happy )

that isnt the case, i have the same grille as yours on my ae82 SE and a friend that has a ae80 also has the same grille, i think it is just the later builds got that grille
wuzah?
Regular

October 2004
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Mon, 11 April 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey you can have my rolla for 8 grand, its got a 20 and a haletk and some suspension mods and wheels, some rust in the roof but you'll get over it hehe
predator
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Mon, 11 April 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no thanks..

I'd want to pay a maximum of 3-4k for one.. pref. standard.

WHITCHY
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Tue, 12 April 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in the middle of a GE engine conversion and I have found heaps of info on all the motors through google, all the pages are open at the moment so Ill give u the links,..

http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/4AGE% 20into%20RWD.htm

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vidore/toyota_4age_en gine.htm

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/INDEX .HTM

there is some really good info there, and that is just from the first few search results, so if you still need more then just search for 4age info on google or yahoo!
Cheers.
-Whitchy-
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Re: ae82/92 - 4AGE's - confused! Wed, 13 April 2005 05:30 Go to previous message
Hey WHITCHY, just wanted to know man, wat model rolla u puttin the 4age in? and wat type r u putting in? Also what was the original motor in your car? Coz im looking to get a 20v slivertop half cut and i wanna know wat im expecting to pay. I was told round the $1500-$2000 mark?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux is not unbreakable
Next Topic:ke30 cross drilled discs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 16:54:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052080154418945 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.