Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
vaster
Newcomer

April 2005
ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Tue, 12 April 2005 09:59 Go to next message
Recently purchased a 73 KE20 corolla and just wondering how i go about converting to a later model stud pattern.
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Tue, 12 April 2005 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KE30 hubs with KE20 bearings at the front.
maybe KE30 axles with shaved ends for the back?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Wed, 13 April 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lop about 6mm off ke30 axles and they'll fit in. if you don't shorten them, they'll mushroom inside the spider gears and you won't be able to get them back out again

you'll need matching ke30 drum assemblies too, as the axle flanges are different between ke20 and ke30 axles

i believe you can also change over to larger ke55 drums if you so desire
Ronin86
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Wed, 13 April 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will ke70 brake bolt to 20 struts or will 70 struts bolt in as want later model stud pattern plus larger brakes on my 25 Very Happy
rollin_stock
Regular

February 2005
Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Wed, 13 April 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh i think you just use the ke25 hub inside bearing and use the rest off the ke70, i think you might have to modify the mount for the caliper though.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 April 2005 12:57]

Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Wed, 13 April 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have ke55 brakes on my ke25 struts, the ke70 uses the same rotors and calipers

some ke70s have a wierd backing plate, some have one that will fit on a ke20. ke55 backing plates all fit on ke20. you'll need to drill and tap the ke25 struts to the same bolts as the ke55 struts (M10 coarse thread)

you can use the ke55/70 hubs, just with the ke25 inner bearing. there's about 1mm difference in the seals but it doesn't really matter

the difference is nice, but if you're making a bit of power you'll want better brakes. you can't just swap in other struts, you'll need to do steering knuckles and ball joints too
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: ke20 conversion to later model stud pattern Wed, 13 April 2005 13:00 Go to previous message
you don't need to modify the caliper mount if you use the proper one. besides which, that's illegal and dangerous

when i first did my swap, i noticed my brakes really sucked. make sure your drums are adjusted properly, if the shoes aren't set properly (and i suck at adjusting drums) then you'll have some sponginess

i'd recommend taking your car to a brake place and having all your stuff adjusted properly, and have them bleed all new fluid into your brake system

oh, and those ke55/70 girlock calipers use the same brake pads as the rear of a vn commodore (db1086 and db1088). you can't get performnce pads (such as bendix ultimates) for a corolla, but you can get them for commodore Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:oops .. no indicators :( AE92
Next Topic:4AGE extractors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 10:10:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071518421173096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.