Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 01:09 Go to next message
My mum came home with a new gadget for me last night (she is sick of the fully sic exhaust) and she wants me to test the DB of the exhaust. she got me a digital sound meter.

My techo Q is how do i test my exhaust? ie where from and at what revs, ie right at the rear or like a metre back or so and at idle or like 4000 rpm etc

I guess the boys that have been defected here would know, please help me

Cheers

.L.
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a certain distance, at a certain angle, at a certain height, at certain revs... not sure of the details however Smile
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1m, 45deg, 2/3 of max power revs. ie. max power 6000rpm, test at 4000rpm
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so if i had a loud exhaust on the corona which i don't peak power is 4.4 so you would test at 3.3
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is stock peak power rpm. That is how a lot of the old v8’s pass as they usually redline at 5000rpm. So they get tested at a much lower rpm. This is QLD BTW.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx 4 that

Smile
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone know what the Db limit for victoria is? my TA22 recorded 116db at 1 meter... at idle Very Happy
Kurt.R
Regular

February 2005
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
116dB.. your shit outa luck.
I'd say that your meter is probably not correct cause that is bloody loud for an exhaust.
Make sure you are on flat ground not near any structures i.e. in a car park.
the noise limit is 90dB.
Cheers,
Kurt.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude 116 decibels is pretty much the saem as a jet engine or rock concert, i doubt this figure is correct if it is your car is a defect waiting to happen
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I got defected and had an exhaust check he made me do 1/2 redline. I got 87db Smile
He even came round to look and see what revs I was doing, which was 3k. I showed him my (4ac) redline of 6k haha

Think the limit is 90db for cars past 84 and 96db for pre 84
or something like that anyway
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Legal noise level for cars built before dec 1983 is 96Db's. cars built after that its 90Db's.

And i pretty sure the Db is measured to 3000rpms,i havn't heard of it being varied to the car. also its measure only on the up-rev.ie. when u let off the gas at 3k, that measurement doesn't count.

This is for Victoria btw, i dont know if there is a difference in other states.
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought it was half stock max rpm? ie: engine revs to 6000, test exhaust at 3000rpm

but yes, 1 metre away, 45 degree angle to side, and anywhere from 0 to 30 degrees deflection (downward movement). usually the feds will jam the noise meter right up your tailpipe

i get 114db at 3000rpm, i use earplugs when i have to drive a long distance Razz on the weekend, i was sitting next to this cobra at the lights, and i couldn't even hear my own car idling. it must have been hugely loud
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This Cobra didn't happen to have the exhausts coming out the sides pointing at your head did it?LOL that would do it i reckon! Razz
Image what it would be like for Cobra drivers?damn it would be loud!
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 16:37

dude 116 decibels is pretty much the saem as a jet engine or rock concert, i doubt this figure is correct if it is your car is a defect waiting to happen

its acctually a bit louder than a rock concert, they are generally limited to 90db these days to avoid damages claims Very Happy

it was recorded on a phone, so i doubt it is accurate. but then 116db was as loud as the phone could register, and i was only at idle. its one of the loudest (street) cars ive ever heard and in my educated opinion 116db would be fairly achievable. it does suck though, having to slip into neutral every time you drive past a cop Cool
DRFT - 86
Regular

February 2005
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahah gota love stealth mode... Twisted Evil ......pain in the ass, when I get the funds Im getting a new zorst........mine is way over....had to get a silencer made up and get it passed after been defected.....although I took it out after as it sucked with it in.....sounded pure shit and felt like my engine was choking.....I reckon 116Db is possible.....I reckon mine isnt far off that.....(although not at idle).....
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok now everyone one on here has got me wondering as i have just been told that they cant restrict cars dbs unless they are over 130db as most factory stock harley davidsons have ova 120db from the factory. i am probly completely rong but it sounds viable to me as there is alot of harleys around here. like i have extractors, 2 1/2" pipe and a 4 inch canon, thats my exhaust and its quiet compared to them.

my 2 cents(not worth the air i spoke it with)

laterdays
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Tue, 19 April 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a chart of mine at certain revs, it's 109db at idle, rising steadily every 500rpm to 114db at 3000rpm, then dropping slightly at 4000rpm. didnt test past that

i agree totally about bikes. some bikes go past my work (in an industrial estate) and they hurt my ears with the doors and windows all closed. no WAY that's legal, but he'll never get defected for it
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well then... i wonder how loud my car was when i drove it around with no exhaust whatsoever.

I mean NOTHING! No muffler, no cat, no headers, NO NOTHING! Prue unadulterated engine.

I started it, and 5 minutes later my GF came outside telling me "i would have come out sooner, but i got a heart-attack and shat my pants! WTF did you do to your car?"

Anyway, i had to drive it 15 minutes up the highway to get to my new house. Was... interesting to say the least. It's not everyday a Camry is the loudest car in Wollongong. Razz

I got video too. Anyone wanna host?
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wait till you hear a bridgeported rotary dumping straight out the extractors Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
harleys have an exemption for the noise they make.. from factory... but most popl take the factory pipes off as their first and only mod. resulting in a large number of loud wanker bikes ridden by office execs Wink
Super Jamie
Regular

On Probation

December 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i once went out with a girl whose brother in law was a harley nut. the engine in his bike was bigger than my corolla's Razz
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bikes are allowed to be slightly louder than cars as they have less room for mufflers and tend to rev past 9000rpm
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good way to burn your exhaust valuves out with no headers Wink

Fr3aK wrote on Wed, 20 April 2005 23:15

Well then... i wonder how loud my car was when i drove it around with no exhaust whatsoever.

I mean NOTHING! No muffler, no cat, no headers, NO NOTHING! Prue unadulterated engine.

I started it, and 5 minutes later my GF came outside telling me "i would have come out sooner, but i got a heart-attack and shat my pants! WTF did you do to your car?"

Anyway, i had to drive it 15 minutes up the highway to get to my new house. Was... interesting to say the least. It's not everyday a Camry is the loudest car in Wollongong. Razz

I got video too. Anyone wanna host?

time2play
Forums Junkie

On Probation

February 2005
Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
legal limit i think is 90db at 4500rpm (that wat it says on my defect paper issued by EPA)
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=greenta22 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 20:50]

it was recorded on a phone, so i doubt it is accurate. but then 116db was as loud as the phone could register, and i was only at idle.

what was the phone technique you used?
De@Noo
Regular

June 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Wed, 20 April 2005 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=devolutio wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 08:18]
greenta22 wrote on Tue, 19 April 2005 20:50

it was recorded on a phone, so i doubt it is accurate. but then 116db was as loud as the phone could register, and i was only at idle.

what was the phone technique you used?

im assuming the phone had a db reader on it...my dads phone has that also
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Exhaust Db test Thu, 21 April 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 21 April 2005 01:25

Good way to burn your exhaust valuves out with no headers Wink

Explain how?

I was more worried about something catching fire!
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Thu, 21 April 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EPA Noise Guidelines

http://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/noise/vehiclenoise.htm

To make an accurate sound level measurement, a sound level meter must be a "type 1" or, for an indication only, at least a "type 2" meter can be used. In the Acoustic Measurement trade, the dB meter in a mobile phone is known as "a fu.ken waste of time", and you would be more accurate to pick a number between 20 and 200 out of your mates butt.

So your doubt is very well founded.

For the correct testing procedure see
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/inforce/ subordleg+537+2000+sch.2+0+N

Both these sites are NSW, but the regulations are very similar in each state, and will all become identical in the very near future.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 April 2005 04:26]

devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: Exhaust Db test Thu, 21 April 2005 14:02 Go to previous message
wow, handy... i bought one of those radio shack testers when they were $120 - bastards cost $50 now
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:body kit question for 1991 corolla sedan
Next Topic:4AC cam bearing cap torque
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 16:36:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006580114364624 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.