Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Lowering a GZ20 Soarer

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
icon5.gif  Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 07:03 Go to next message
I have a GZ20 with TEMS, and I've heard that I could encounter a few problems when trying to lower the car.

Does anyone know if I can just replace the springs or do I have to take out the TEMS entirely?
  Send a private message to this user    
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TEMS has nothing to do with the springs and it is a component of the shock absorbers, so long as you dont break it or cut the wires when you remove the shocks to put the springs in you should be fine Smile
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the fast reply,

how much did you lower your car / how much did you pay for the springs / where did u source them / what type are they etc?

(just a few questions)

Thanks for the help mate
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got my springs in a package with my shockers, they are KYB Damper adjustables and the springs are RSR, i got them second hand from an importer who owed me money so i didnt pay for them persae but he had a $550 price tag on them so i guess thats what someone would have paid.

Keep your eyes out for a set of king lows from a supra as they tend to come up fairly regularly or my mate Danish on these forums is selling a set of KG/MM springs which are extremely stiff and srop the car a fair bit.

Be careful when buying shocker packages tho as for some reason the back of my car sits 2cm higher than the front which i am gonna try and rectify this weekend Smile

Brand new king lows will set you back about $200 at trade price or about $240 at full price
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any lowred springs from these cars will fit
GZ20, MZ20, MA70, GA70, JZA70
try and get any of these as the suspension is interchangable for the whole lot of those cars and are a straight bolt on

mr ig the soarers usually always sit like that and yes i hate it too looks like they going to dive into the ground to dig up worms

i have got some lovell lowered springs from a jza70 supra but havent put it in yetso cant tell u weter mine will be doign the same

yeah the king springs were sold to some dude but apparently they were damn low and would have def been defected in victoria

and yeah tems doesnt matter and has nothing to do with the springs its part of the shock absorber and adjusts the damper rate
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are short on cash you can just compress your standard spings..It works well for me but the ride is a bit stiff..it hadles but.
Hey indian which King spring you have... How low..cause i want to drop my ass end a bit..
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i didnt have the king springs some other guy was selling them they were off a supra but were too damn low and they were with koni shockers as well woul have been a sweet package but i didnt have the money and defenitly would have got booked with them on they were seriously low im thinking about the back as well might get the back ones compressed like u did , i have the lovells springs not king springs although two of my speings look shorter than the other maybe they will be straight when put on have to see that , otherwise compress them so they all stay in a straight level
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh good idea..Anyways sorry i haven't come around i blew my head gasket...I am in the proccess of fixing it.. I got the head of today and have to get it milled flat tomorow. On the bright side the head gasket only cost me 100 bucks so as soon as i fix it i'll give you a call..
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NAH ITS COOL BRO turn the boost down homi lollllllll, yeah i read the post about the metal hg looks in good nick man , nice buy all the best in getting the car fixed up soon

i will be putting some neons in my car and lowering it soon Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
iil need ur help with the lowering bit though if thats ok

yeah come around some time hopefully before the 26th of dec as i will be going overseas after then when i come back will fit some splits in the front door and maybe clean the car up in the engine bay area maybe fix sunroof as well

also planning on some gauges in the dashboard Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good...i be in touch anyways..and yeh i help you out to lower it...
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Wed, 01 December 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers man , yeah iil ring u sometime soon

how did u go with the exams , results coming soon arent they lollllllll

good luck and all the best bro Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some Excellent condition Cusco COMP 1 coilovers Smile $1000
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i am gonna cut a half a coil off the back this weekend Wink

that should rectify my height issues Very Happy
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent info there indian and mr1g, good to hear that I can just whack some new springs in. Thought it might be a little more complicated, but thats good cos I want to spend as little on that as possible, and more on some new mags. Probly 17's with a bit of dish. Oww yeah.
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't cut springs..only cocksuckers do that..if you want to save money compress them..cutting them makes them loose their spring rate
BLK1GGTE
Regular

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah past the exams I am a qualified network engineer now..lol as well as a autoelectrician and part time mechanic.. (too much spare time with cars) lol...but yeah holidays now...not really saving up for a 650 hp SB Chev over the summer for my HQ Monaro..LOL..I busted the 450hp engine the other day...
On the bright note I am high flowing my soarer turbos since I dismantled the whole fu**ing engine now.. might as well..
Sick of it being a slug...need more power scotie..lol..hopping for that magical 180rwkw figure for everyday on a bundget...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i just picked up a pair of CT12a's for $150 in perfect working order Very Happy

So im gonna have a go at modifying my manifolds to have them fit onto the 1GGTE head, should be interesting Rolling Eyes
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lollll good work blackie CONGRATS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

mr 1g -- nice going but remember they are ceramic turbines in the ct12a and as u said flanges are different and bigger , let us know how it went

man both u guys shold just stick a big single in there would be heaps better , also less headache as theres only one turbo to stuff around with but yeah both of yas keep us all informed

teeBore

be carefull with what rims u get for the soarer i spend heaps on wheels only to find out i couldnt lower them so had to trade them in and got ripped off

anyways stock soarer offset is 50mm with 114.3x5 pcd

usually 45mm offset with a 7 inch wide rim will suit perfect and can lower the car as well be carefull of what u do and make sure u fit the wheels on the car and see they fit well before buying them

be as close as possible to stock offset as the more u change it the more tramlining u will get (not a very good thing)

38mm offset with a 8 inch wide rim will not fit (i know from experience) it will fit but u cant lower the car with it on

also be carefull of the tyres u put on them as the soarer is a heavy car and too low a profile and the coppers will get u for it -- its happened to my friend in vic anyway lolll
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
indian - i got them for $150 and they seem like they are in decent condition, minimal shaft play which is good, im gonna have a go at modifying the manifolds to have them fit on the 1G head myself, if i can pull it off i cant really see it costing more than $250, im also gonna have a go at making twin dumps Very Happy

if it works it will surely be better than the pooey CT12s Razz

Very Happy
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah def will be better than the ct12s for sure , but just the trouble and time and money , i suppose if u have them all then no probs

i think there was an adaptor plate which allowed the ct12a to fit on the ct12 manifold , not very sure though Confused
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh, those adaptors are made in someones backyard, why would i pay someone $450 for one when i have all the materials and tools to make one myself Very Happy

Its not rocket science Very Happy

indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Thu, 02 December 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
loll i suppose so ust do it urself if u know wjat ur doing

guys have any of u looked in the for sale department

engine accesories area heaps of 1g- parts , if anyones interested , sigle turbos , engines , cat back exhaust fark i wish i had the money
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Sun, 23 January 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought got my new mags Smile

Gonna lower the car now - and im gonna get my springs compressed, tanking em out and putting em back in myself. I find it weird that the advice I was given above basically says that I can change over the springs without any adjustment to the shockies.... I would have thought that I would need to drop the normal sitting height of the shocks too??

Any one help me on this?

I'm not buying new shocks - keeping the original TEMS.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm using Koni Yellow Shocks and King Low springs... my car also sits high in the back. For some reason the whole left hand side of my car sits lower than the right which causes the front left hand tyre to scrape the inside of the wheel arch when going over bumps

I have no idea whats caused it Confused

Dan
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danners: Control arm broken? My mates vl has this problem and he seems to think its the control arm. No idea if this is really relevent or not. Does your car make any weird noises over bumps eg knocking, crunching etc???
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danners wrote on Mon, 24 January 2005 13:10

I'm using Koni Yellow Shocks and King Low springs... my car also sits high in the back. For some reason the whole left hand side of my car sits lower than the right which causes the front left hand tyre to scrape the inside of the wheel arch when going over bumps

I have no idea whats caused it Confused

Dan

could be sagged springs...
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really any really noticeable noises. The strange thing is, its both the front left and rear left that sit lower. I've taken it to Pedders several times (had polyurethane bushes installed) which improved it a little but after a hard run through some winding corners one night its gone back to scraping quite regularily

I'll take it back to them again and get them to check it thoroughly i think

Dan
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just noticed that you have king springs in your car...

well A friend of mine was working for the official reseller of them down here in adelaide and he told me that the passenger side springs always sit a little lower than the drivers side, so when you are on a track the car is even becuase it has a driver in the car, maybe that could be your problem
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Mon, 24 January 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope thats not it

Even if i were on a track, ever right hand corner i'd hit... the car would scrape for the entire duration of the corner

This also affects my ability to steer
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Tue, 26 April 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay peoples. What is the final verdict on this? Is it fine to use lowered springs with the factory TEMS shocks? Has anyone actually done this with success?
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Lowering a GZ20 Soarer Tue, 26 April 2005 22:35 Go to previous message
yep im using the tems suspension with lovells lowered springs seems to be fine and the tems works as well
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gz20 soarer front bar removal
Next Topic:7MGTE radiator cap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 22:07:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066258907318115 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.