Toymods » Tech & Conversions » CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
icon2.gif  CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 06:48 Go to next message
*WARNING: This may be dodgey, but it works. If you like to waste money, go to Strathfield Car Radios. Go now!*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/cdFrontMedium.jpg

So you've got one of these Double DIN poor arse excuses for a CD player in you car. You consider buying the optional 6 stacker for it. Hmmm... $400. Not too bad, but then you find out the harness to hook it up is another $150. D'oh!

So then you buy an aftermarket one for $200, and think it was the best idea in the world. Until you discover they don't make a plug in harness for them. So now you're stuck with the choice of:
Getting a stereo place to install it. More $$$
or
Figuring it out for yourself

So if you did the first option, you're not reading this. If you've chosen the second option, here's how to do it.

Step 1. Get it out.
No pics needed! Just stick a flat screwdriver under the cd player surround, and pull out. It'll pop out.

Now swap screwdriver to a philipshead. Undo the 4 bolts holding it in. The whole lot should come out now.

Unplug the harnesses, antenna and any spiderwebs.

Step 2. Preparing the other one to go in.
See the brackets bolted to the stock CD player? Undo the bolts on both sides.

Use these brackets on your new CD player. Hopefully the new one came with spare bolts and stuff.

Step 3. Wiring in the new CD player.
Here's the fun part. Your new CD play comes with instructions, doesn't it? But the stock one doesn't. So how do you figure out what colour wires go where?

Pull the old one apart. For some reason, the PCB lists what wires go where! GOLD!
You don't have to do this, unless you don't believe me.

Rear view
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/cdbackMedium.jpg

Undo all the bolts at the back of the old CD player.

First, the heatsink comes off:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/heatsinkoutMedium.jpg

Then the back cover/ vent:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/coveroffMedium.jpg

Now, the important one. The harnesses pcb:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/harnesspcboutMedium.jpg

Here's what it looks like, the rear view of it. Note the little letters on the non-harness side (which i've given numbers)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/harnesspcbfrontMedium.jpg

These little letters are the harnesses corresponding wires! Very Happy

1) Battery. YELLOW wire on most aftermarket CD players
2) ACC. Usualy RED wire. To play CD player when car not running
3) Earth/ Ground. BLACK wire.

4) FL- (Front left -ve)
5) FL+ (Front left +ve)
6) FR- (Front right -ve)
7) FR+ (Front right +ve)
Cool RL- (Rear left -ve)
9) RL+ (Rear left +ve)
10) RR- (Rear right -ve)
11) RR+ (Rear right +ve)

Which wires go where:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/harnesswiringdiagram.jpg

Simply look at the harness, and plug the new wires into it. Piss easy.
If you wanna be proper, you'll peel a bit of the wire off, and solder the new CD player wires onto it. I couldn't be bothered though.

Plug in antenna if you like ghey radio music.

Step 4. Putting the new one in
Line up the new CD player where the old one used to be. Put in the 4 bolts (or 3 if you've dropped one like i did Embarassed . Because it's a Double DIN size, i used the top slot, and left the bottom one free. If you bought another double DIN CD player, good for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/surroundoffMedium.jpg

Step 5. Clip in surround.
This is the opposite of taking it out, but with no screwdriver this time...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/newCDplayersurroundonMedium.jpg

Then i bought an empty DIN holder from a wrecker. (not pictured)

Step 6. Test drive
Drive around your local hangout place with the windows down and volume up. Aren't you cool.

Step 7. Get subs.
Yes, these are the fabled things which have the abiltity to blow hot chicky babes clothes off. Get some.

Mine are home made. Run off 2 240watt@4 ohms Jaycar amps. Wired up for 2 ohms. I'm deaf. What?

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/488000-488999/488691_6_full.jpg

OK, i've gone too far. Hope this guide helps.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2005 12:29]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good work - well done - and good write up as well, I can understand exactly how you did this. My wife drives a widebody and I am keen to upgrade the sound system.
What plans do you have for the old double DIN CD player ?
Thnaks,
Mitch.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been there done that installing radios in widebody Camrys Smile .
It's cheaper and less hassles to buy the radio harness adaptor for $15 at car audioshops.
The setup would take less then 10mins Smile and it looks factory.
But well done for putting the info on the net Very Happy.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2005 11:12]

Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 21:04

It's cheaper and less hassles to buy the radio harness adaptor for $15 at car audioshops.

I looked in every audio shop in Wollongong, trying to find one.
I only made this up for everyone else in my situation.
For the love of god, please tell us where you found it.

My old stereo will gather dust, ra23celica. Do you want it?

EDIT: My way is actually cheap, since you buy nothing. You simply plug in the new CD player wires into the original Toyota harness.

Look at: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/fr_3_ak/harnesswiringdiagram.jpg

Then just plug in corresponding wires.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2005 11:39]

ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will send you a PM.
Thanks.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude, I just put a sony into my car just over a week ago and could have told you the wiring that I also figured out, and thanks to some others here, they told me what two other wires I didn't need do. Smile

I only had a single height tape system in originally, so I already had the filler compartment below the stereo unit. Also by the looks of it you also couldn't fit the extra plastic flushing around the stereo unit itself? I've had to leave mine off due to interferance of the plastic surround of the climate controls above the unit. Sad

So how did you actually attach the wires from the new unit? I had to cut and strip the original plugs and use a bank of that junction terminal stuff. (Yea fuck soldering). Did the wires for the new unit come with spade connectors already on them or something?

ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 01 May 2005 21:04

Been there done that installing radios in widebody Camrys Smile .

They don't make those anymore for the widebody. Bastards. I thought it would be that easy as well, but no.......

EDIT: And yea, fuck paying some dodgy car sound joint $80+ to install the unit for me. They'd probably just solder the wires making it hard to put the original unit back in later. Or they are the bastards that horde all the wiring looms that they won't sell seperately.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 May 2005 13:34]

Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I couldn't use the surround either, but i thought it looked cheap anyway.

I just pushed in the wires from the new CD player into the stock plug. One wire fell out on intial installation, but i just put it back in. Hopefully no more will fall out.

I won't lie, doing it this way is dodgey, but it's cheap and easy.

Are the wire colours on all aftermarket CD players, the same?

PS, this is the second time i've done this, the first time i used the peel and wrap method (just as dodgey in my books).
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
instead of ripping apart the old stereo, why didnt you just use a multimeter and an AA battery?

so simple a monkey could, and probably would, do it.

Eldar.O.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Sun, 01 May 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fr3aK wrote on Mon, 02 May 2005 00:12

I couldn't use the surround either, but i thought it looked cheap anyway.

I just pushed in the wires from the new CD player into the stock plug. One wire fell out on intial installation, but i just put it back in. Hopefully no more will fall out.

I won't lie, doing it this way is dodgey, but it's cheap and easy.

Are the wire colours on all aftermarket CD players, the same?

PS, this is the second time i've done this, the first time i used the peel and wrap method (just as dodgey in my books).

I still don't understand how that would work, first bump out of the driveway and you'll loose a bunch of wires.

I dunno about the colours of the CD players themselves, but what you listed as your ACC power, mine was blue/brown, and for ground, mine was brown. That's the original wires in the car of course.

Also, what is that white plug for on the back of your original unit?

Oh yea, dude, you gotta stop letting the wimmins with the long finger nails drive your car. Look at the scratched up AC button and all that wear around the fan knob. Wink
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

stop letting the wimmins with the long finger nails drive your car. Look at the scratched up AC button and all that wear around the fan knob.

That was the bosses wench at the Toyota dealer... not mine. I was slighty annoyed when i bought it. There's still Mary Kay sticker resisdue on the back window. Lucky the whole car ain't pink!

Quote:

I still don't understand how that would work, first bump out of the driveway and you'll loose a bunch of wires.

I've driven it pretty hard, and nothing's fallen out. The last CD player i put in, came with a 'plug-in harness kit'. Only thing is, i had to push in the wires from the new CD player into the 'kit'.
So in my mind, i've saved $$$ and cutout the middle man.

Quote:

Also, what is that white plug for on the back of your original unit?

White plug is for the 6 stacker.

Quote:

I dunno about the colours of the CD players themselves, but what you listed as your ACC power, mine was blue/brown, and for ground, mine was brown. That's the original wires in the car of course.

Colour wires- i was talking about aftermarket units. Because the last one i did had the same colours as mine, even though they were different brands.

Quote:

instead of ripping apart the old stereo, why didnt you just use a multimeter and an AA battery?

so simple a monkey could, and probably would, do it.

Eldar.O.

Can you put your tongue on there if you don't have a multimeter?
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DIY is the only way. I've heard particularly nasty things about a car audio place in Wollongong Rolling Eyes
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why did you go to all the trouble of destroying your old stereo? You could have bought a test light and just crimp connected or soldered the pioneer harness onto the existing wiring harness, and then put the old stereo back in if you ever sell the car?
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The old stereo isn't destroyed.. i don't know where you got that idea from? I used a screwdriver to remove components, not a hammer. I then put it back together with a screwdriver. In fact, it is in perfect working order.

I didn't buy i test light/ multimeter/ etc, because i didn't want to spend anymore money. I couldn't just solder on the pioneer harness onto the existing harness, because i didn't know what wires go where.

If i want to put the old stereo back in, it'll plug in. The whole job will take 5 minutes. Unlike if i soldered stuff.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see, you pulled apart the old stereo to find out what wires were what, the left the existing pug connected to the wiring, then jammed the new wires into the existing plug?
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep. Dodgey but quick and easy. Wires are yet to fall out.
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just hope it doesn't short out on you. Like if one of the speaker wires jump out and hit power. Good luck mate.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: CD player into Widebody Camry -> How to Mon, 02 May 2005 02:50 Go to previous message
Yeah, that happened when i was plugging them in. Couple of sparks etc.

**Oh yeah: Disconnect the battery when fiddling with car electronics!**
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra40 with a gt rally badge grill.
Next Topic:K head on 4K / options
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 06:12:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049271583557129 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.