Toymods » Tech & Conversions » I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turbosupra
Occasional Poster

October 2004
I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 08:50 Go to next message
When I'm in trouble I come back to this site.

Anyway I have heard of many people who have put a 7MGTE in a manual MA61 supra. I'm doing things a little different, I already have my 7MGTE in the car with a auto gearbox, so I went and got a manual gearbox, flywheel, clutch, bearings, and pressure plate.

This weekend I was really exited to do the conversion so I started on it and guess what??? The wholes on the flywheel don't line up with the ones on the engine. SCREWED HARD.

I thought it was because it is the flywheel of the 5m engine so I went looking for on from a 7m engine, and guess what...that doesn't line up either.

Does anyone know why, or what I'm doing wrong, or what I should do.

Right now I'm thinking of rebuilding my auto box and putting it back in.

Need help please.
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you SHURE as the fly wheel can only go on one way (one hole is sort of offset)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you get a 1jz flywheel by accident?

BTW, an R154 will require a bit of work to make the tailshaft fit on the perfect angle.
converted1
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reduild it, manualise it, high stall and trans brake.

Go drag racing.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As above, you may have a 1JZ flywheel, or a 1G, or a 3Y.
They are all the same dimensions, but one hole doesn't line up.

Are you using an R154 or a W58?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jz engine = 8 bolts
m engine = 6 bolts

one hole is offset, so rotate the flywheel and try all mounting positions before giving up
turbosupra
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Mon, 02 May 2005 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I pulled out everything from my other supra, it's an 85 5m engine with a w58 manual gearbox.

All the holes line up except for 1, I rotated the hell out of it and no luck. I thought maybe it was because it is a flywheel for a 5m so I got one for a 7m, but the holes still didn't line up.

Some of you guys have done the same conversion did anyone come accross this problem.

My best guess is that my engine came from an automatic supra and it's not an imported japanese engine, maybe thats why the holes don't line up. I really don't know whhere the engine came from I bought the car with the conversion done already.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Tue, 03 May 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"if chewbacca lives on endore, you must aquit"
"that just doesnt make sense"

"look at the monkey"

seriously, this doesnt make a lot of sense... 7M/5M/whateverM it should all line up aok

are you certain beyond doubt that you tried all hole combinations? didnt put it on backwards or something?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Tue, 03 May 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As above, unless you have some crazy ass custom motherfucker, it will fit.

Get us a pic, or do us a drawing.

See how one bolt hole is offset?
Both the crank and the flywheel have one offset.
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/MA61/MA61%20Auto-Manual%20Conversion%20parts/tn_DSC01256.JPG
Pic props go to Wilbo

[Updated on: Tue, 03 May 2005 01:15]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Tue, 03 May 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*cough* CrUZsida; thanks wilbo for that picture? Geez where's ya referencing dude Razz (and where's my kudos? lol)

I took that pic btw in case your wondering....and yeah you can clearly see the offset hole.

Cheers
Wilbo

damz
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I thought I got sold a reject when I got my aluminium 7M flywheel because of that dodgey offset hole..!
I would have thought that an offset hole (& the bolt that goes through it) would cause the flywheel to be slightly off balance? Any engineering reasons for this design "feature"?
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you can only put it on 1 way? And not put it on back to front?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 11:52

I think you'll find it has more to do with balancing. It would be pretty hard to put on backwards Laughing
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 10:37

Yian wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 11:52

I think you'll find it has more to do with balancing. It would be pretty hard to put on backwards Laughing

Wouldn't be hard to put a flexplate on backwards.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its offset because typically the flywheel and crank are balanced as a single unit, and it would totally fuck things to balance everything only to reinstall the flywheel in the wrond spot

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 13:38

Wouldn't be hard to put a flexplate on backwards.

Definitely not hard to put a clutch plate in backwards. Don't ask how I know. Confused
turbosupra
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys I figured out what went wrong, thanks to ed_ma61, he got me thinking when he said have you got it on backwards. Thats whe I realised that the mechanic was trying to line up the holes on the new manual flywheel with the holes on the old auto flywheel, he must of turned the automatic flywheel around. I have to admit I tried it a few times the same way and the holes wouldn't line up either.

Anyway I went home after reading your replies and guess what the holes line up when you put it on the right way around.

Sorry guys i stuffed up. How embaracing. Embarassed
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smooth! Cool
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe change the thread title from:

I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61

to

I screwed up! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61

Laughing
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: I got screwed! Manual conversion on 7MGTE MA61 Wed, 04 May 2005 21:30 Go to previous message
turbosupra wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 18:05

Ok guys I figured out what went wrong, thanks to ed_ma61, he got me thinking when he said have you got it on backwards. Thats whe I realised that the mechanic was trying to line up the holes on the new manual flywheel with the holes on the old auto flywheel, he must of turned the automatic flywheel around. I have to admit I tried it a few times the same way and the holes wouldn't line up either.

Anyway I went home after reading your replies and guess what the holes line up when you put it on the right way around.

Sorry guys i stuffed up. How embaracing. Embarassed

Sounds like your mechanic is a nong.

From the details above, it sounds like until last night, no-one actually tried to fit it, just compared it with the auto flex plate. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, good to see that it worked.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:W58 short/quick shift kits
Next Topic:Exhaust wrapping dump pipe
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 03:05:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.15796494483948 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.