Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Mon, 02 May 2005 21:18 Go to next message
I began my foray into the shed last night to try and sort out some of the electrical issues with my bloody car. MA61 with 7M-GTE transplant

After finding a couple of blown fuses and making a little sense of the wiring diagram (thanks to CrUZida and JCMF), I was able to get everything on my cluster working fine.....except the charge light (the little battery symbol).

On my Alternator, only the small black wire (L terminal) is connected to anything, and the other two (larger black & larger yellow) are not connected at all.

The theory is that the L terminal wire should have +12V or thereabouts on it when the ignition is on, and this would illuminate the charge light on the dash. At the start of the evening, this was the case, butr somehow during the course of getting the other dash lights working, it doesn't do it now. I think the other two wires may have shorted out, but can't seem to find any blown fuses.

At the same time, I have +12V on pin 23 (Battery IGN), and nothing on Pin 24 (as I think it should be ?)

The questions are ;
(a) - what is the logic of the charge light circuit ? The non-charging alternator creates and earth path for the klight on the dash ?

(b) - where to now ?

Thanks in advance

Michael B

Oh, and here is another question ;

(c) - Is it possible that i ahve blown the cctry inside the alternator if those other two wires shorted out on the body whilst I was fixing my other electrical issues ?

(d) - There are only 2 fuse locations - RH Kick panel and underhood ?

[Updated on: Mon, 02 May 2005 21:25]

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Mon, 02 May 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every chance the internal circuitry could be blown, and the only thing I can offer you here is that my charge light runs off the yellow (Sense) wire, not any other one.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mitch.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Mon, 02 May 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra23celica wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 07:51

Every chance the internal circuitry could be blown, and the only thing I can offer you here is that my charge light runs off the yellow (Sense) wire, not any other one.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Mitch.

Thanks Mitch. But if the internals are dead, wouldn't a fuse blow at the same time ?

The wiring diagram sows the sense wire is a small black jobbie, which I tend to agree with ?

Cheers

Michael B
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Mon, 02 May 2005 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive never had any luck running my light off the L(ight) wire, nor the S(ense) wire. According to the diagrams, the big fat white wire in the 3 plug should be connected to a fusible link same as the big post. L to the light, and S to ignition.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Tue, 03 May 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 10:22

bbaacchhyy wrote on Tue, 03 May 2005 05:29

...and have everything working except the charge light..

I hate electrics ... Mad

Don't forget digital dashes have a charge light were anal dashes have a charge guage...

He is right (that is one smart cookie that CrUZida Evil or Very Mad , so I guess it doesn't really matter then ?

I would still like to understand why it doesn't work though Sad

Just hook up a positive lead from the battery or alternator ?

Cheers

MB
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Tue, 03 May 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the charge light post at the alternator provides an earth when the alternator isn't charging. You should be seeing 12V at the yellow wire with power to the ignition.

there is (in the US based TSRM anyway) a 7.5 amp fuse somewhere inline between the light and the alternator.

useful resources:

charging system
<www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/ch/CH _001.html>

charging circuit on wiring diagram
<www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/e/E_0 06.html>

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Tue, 03 May 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that (I have the TRSM bookmarked) and is very useful, but I'll have another browse, particularly in the charging system one.

Cheers

Michael B
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Tue, 03 May 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did yr orig engine run a voltage regulator

if so u need to bypass this

most toyotas have 3 wire alternators

white is batt
yellow is charge light
black/yellow is ignition

they are piss easy to do

if the 3 orig wires are on opposite of engine bay just lengthen the wires

its not really that complicated
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Tue, 03 May 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 07:57

did yr orig engine run a voltage regulator

if so u need to bypass this

most toyotas have 3 wire alternators

white is batt
yellow is charge light
black/yellow is ignition

they are piss easy to do

if the 3 orig wires are on opposite of engine bay just lengthen the wires

its not really that complicated

Hi sideshow,

I have no idea what the car originally ran, but I assume that it is the same tyope as on there now.

I have gotten a great rundown from Peter (82MKII) and with the info provided, will steel myself for another go. I'll also swap in the spare alternator that I have from a 7M-GE and see if that changes anything.

The interesting thing at the moment is that I have 12V to one side of the globe with ign on, so it seems that it is missing an earth path - does this make sense ?

Cheers

Michael B

PS I still hate electrics Mad
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 09:54

The interesting thing at the moment is that I have 12V to one side of the globe with ign on, so it seems that it is missing an earth path - does this make sense ?

yes - this is all good...

all you need now is to find that missing earth!

<obi one kenobi voice>
find the yellow wire, luke ... the yellow wire
</voice>

Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colouring might not be correct Razz

http://www.twincam.org/forums/uploads/post-20-1115181035.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another of the WSD's

Thanks guys, will do as suggested.

For your info Witzl, the large wire to the battery is black, and the small wire (from the 3 pin plug) is black, and the other two wires are blue and yellow.

The interesting thing is that the current wiring setuup only has the large battery wire and the small black wire connected to anything !!!!

Dodgy indeed !!!

Now, Comparing it to the wiring diagram as per

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII/e/ E_006.html

You'll see that the ;
- L terminal goes through the charge light through the ignition switch to the battery
- B terminal goes to the battery via the fusible link (see page E_003)
- S terminal goes to the battery via two fusible links (on page E_00again)
- IG terminal goes to the battery via a 15A fuse through the ignition relay and then via two fusible links (as per S)

Mind you, this is for the Yank car Rolling Eyes Confused

I'll read all the info later tonight and see what I can suss out

Thanks again guys

Michael B
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=67865&start=0&rid=93&S=8df2bfe31b716 1a68f47283d9d7786f7

considering both the one on my supra (really shaged) and the one on the engine i got years ago (<40,000km) are both fucked id say your almost as lucky as me, ill post a pic soon but pull off the tin rear cover and have a look

Allan
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 15:14

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=67865&start=0&rid=93&S=8df2bfe31b716 1a68f47283d9d7786f7

considering both the one on my supra (really shaged) and the one on the engine i got years ago (<40,000km) are both fucked id say your almost as lucky as me, ill post a pic soon but pull off the tin rear cover and have a look

Allan

I'll take the one off the spare engine (70A 7M-GE version) that I have and check it as well
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bachhy, your explanation is exactly what i drew!!!

You can easily test for the Sense wire, and again for the IGN wire, and thus be left with the charge light wire....

otherwise - DO IT YERSELF YA BUM!!!

quite simple really Smile

you do also realise that the alternator WILL NOT charge without the charge light, ign AND voltage sense circuits connected dont you?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to interject, but can anyone explain my dilemma then? My dash is digital, I wired up the original 1GEU wiring to the 1GGTEU alternator with a different plug, my charge light is constantly on. My alternator is charging the battery though... Confused
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 16:22

bachhy, your explanation is exactly what i drew!!!

You can easily test for the Sense wire, and again for the IGN wire, and thus be left with the charge light wire....

otherwise - DO IT YERSELF YA BUM!!!

quite simple really Smile

you do also realise that the alternator WILL NOT charge without the charge light, ign AND voltage sense circuits connected dont you?

As mentioned at the start (I am an electrical noob, but am learning with the great input from everyone) hence I may be stating the obvious to those that know, but I'm a bit slow..., and yes, I was pretty sure that all wires should be connected hence my desire to work it out an get it running properly.

I didn't drive the car much before I started the upgrades, but never had an issue with the battery getting a bit flat ?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has become a "metro warning light"
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pity it'll do the exact same thing when you hop into it, otherwise I'd say you're right.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
missin earth??????????

the alternator earths the warning lamp internally then when it soins th eearth goes away

just bring the car to me and il fix it for ya hehehehe
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma71/100_0014t.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ma71/100_0014.JPG large version

that was my issue, fixed now with a little creative dremel, wire and soldering work Smile

Allan

[Updated on: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:48]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Wed, 04 May 2005 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sideshow wrote on Wed, 04 May 2005 21:30

missin earth??????????

the alternator earths the warning lamp internally then when it soins th eearth goes away

just bring the car to me and il fix it for ya hehehehe

I think I understand that (words are in a form of web english).

Are you saying that when the alternator is not charging, the warning lamp illuminates as the earth is provided via the alternator ?

Hmm, Sydney is a bit far of a drive from Adelaide ...

Allan, cant see the pic at work as that is one of the sites we can't access - can you email it direct to

michael.bachmann@gm.com ?

Cheers

MB
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Thu, 05 May 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the email?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Electrical Gremlins - Charging cct - HELP ME please !!!! Thu, 05 May 2005 22:02 Go to previous message
Yes I did Allan, many thanks.

I will try and get into the shed this weekend and have more of a play with the alternator to see if I hasve something similar to yours !!

Cheers

Michael B
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:compression question
Next Topic:RWD cast manifolds for 3SGTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 6 14:30:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10853600502014 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.