Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bigfrek6
Regular

June 2002
turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 08:32 Go to next message
I have a friend with a 1j motor and it seems to be making a loud excess whistling noise when on boost, to the point where you cant hear the motor roar. Are the turbo's stuffed or has anyone had this problem before. It's a chaser 1j and not a supra 1j if that helps. Standard except for exhaust, 3" Mandrel.

Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My turbos make quite a whine on full boost and I don't think there is anything wrong with them... they've been making the same noise for 30,000km so far.
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What air filter (if any) is he running.
When I had a Blitz stainless steel filter the bloody things were loud!
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your not running the standard airbox they make a pretty loud noise.

The airbox acts just like a resonator on your exhaust, so if he is unhappy with the sound then tell him to put one back on. Most tests show they perform better than pod style filters anyway (especially on the 1j).
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I tried driving my car round the block with no blow off valve connected, a hole in the floor and no pipe on the front of the turbo, bloody loud! nearly deafened me...
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man mine are so loud it genuinly gets freakin anoying...still love them beeing there though Laughing Laughing just wait till he raises the boost!!!!!
Bigfrek6
Regular

June 2002
Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Standard air box, and i know the noise that you guys are talking about, but there is something different about this noise.

Maybe dry\worn bearings mor something

Steve
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo noise Thu, 19 December 2002 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freakmy turbo has a whine when commnig onto boost, and it carries all the way, (but it is more noticeable when comming on to boost)...
but not that loud (as you say your friends is, that would be bloody annoying).....
mine is only a small whine though, i like it..... Smile
silversup
Regular

December 2002
Re: turbo noise Fri, 20 December 2002 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whine should be there while boosting but shouldn't increase while full boost. If the whistling sound is really high pitched and even approaches a screech then that is no good - best to get it checked out in more detail.
Before you do this though just check out all the hoses/connectors/gaskets just make sure there is no air leaks....
Good luck!
jza70-mel
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: turbo noise Fri, 20 December 2002 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another guess - is it the turbo? Fanbelts etc. can cause that screechy noise
Bigfrek6
Regular

June 2002
Re: turbo noise Mon, 23 December 2002 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes it is the turbo's, nothing else would be as loud as what the noise is, it nearly blow's ya ear drums apart, im guessing the shaft is rooted,
trev64
Regular

July 2002
icon3.gif  Re: turbo noise Tue, 24 December 2002 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could be that the impellers are eroded causing the turbos to whine.
This happens when dust gets to the impellers, also happens when the turbos start getting a bit long in the tooth.
Happened to Tony longhurst at bathurst in 1988 when he won bathurst.
Probably not to big a problem though.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo noise Tue, 24 December 2002 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the bearings wear, they allow the shaft to move further and further sideways as the shaft loads up on boost. Eventually they wear enough for the compressor wheel to touch the compressor housing. This has the obvious result of fu(king the compressor wheel & housing from the direct contact whilst spinning at great speed, and will make a screeching noise on boost, far louder than the normal whistle you hear from most turbos. Crying or Very Sad

Cheers
Phil
MYT-16V
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: turbo noise Thu, 26 December 2002 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check for movement in the shaft of the turbo, could be the thrust bearing. Or it could be an exhaust leak somewhere, my mates car had a small piece of gasket blown out of the manifold and the noise on boost was freakin' loud.
Bigfrek6
Regular

June 2002
Re: turbo noise Fri, 03 January 2003 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx everyone for there replies, it gave a goo variation as to what the problem could be, but i think MYT 16V response sound like the problem, i'll post answer as i know

Steve
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo noise Fri, 03 January 2003 06:52 Go to previous message
my turbos made a bit of noise till the other night.. then they made worse noises and no boost Wink ... got new ones on now though... all better.
My rear turbo touched the housing... kaboom! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:JZA80 triangle warning light on dash
Next Topic:1GGTE into a 4A-C powered Tercel, possible?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 9 02:32:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051989555358887 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.