Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
4AGE modifications Tue, 10 May 2005 16:38 Go to next message
decided to keep my car for the time being

at the moment all i have is a pod filter with that blue hard rubber piping that people have for intercoolers, and so im thinking about cutting a whole in the bonnet directly above where the pod sits , then putting that hard chicken wire stuff ( well its not chicken wire, people have it at the front of there cars 2 hide front mounts etc) over the whole with a plastic outter bit (? i cant explain shit , sorry)

my mate has this , not on a rolla , but similair car and it looks great and i imagine it helps with air flow

just worried does it matter if the pod gets wet? and its next to the battery , wat if that gets wet?

okay , now what else can i do ? and plz dont say..exhaust , cams bla bla....i mean like WHAT exhaust exactly , WHAT cams...

and in what order..

Send a private message to this user    
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: 4AGE modifications Tue, 10 May 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i know the wire you mean, its usually black or silver and supercheap and autopro sell it i think, its called car detail wire or some shit, i dont know much on the topic but id imagine you should be able to fabricate a plastic cover/scoop pretty easily, or even one out of sheet metal and spray it.

As for performance, im not going to say anythign at risk of being wrong and getting my head bitten off by someone that knows what they're talking about Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:22]

sonwill
Regular

February 2005
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you don't want the pod getting wet as it will fall apart! unless of course it is a good K&N or something that are designed to be washed, but all the same you still don't want it soaking. I have seen the pod being installed inside the LHS fender where the original pipe work went. This will prop give you better protection for the pod and colder air.
The hole in the bonnet will tend to suck hot air out as air goes over it. Unless it is more of a scoop, then it will push cold air in. Either way it is OK.
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Laughing

Get an exhaust, then cams Wink

Dont bother cutting holes in your bonnet, it wont gain you f**k all power, and it will look ghey. Dont bother trying to get more/colder air into the engine without the ability to remove the exhaust gasses ie. get extractors and an exhaust. Go to an exhaust shop and get them to make you some extractors, and a 2" or 2+1/4 or 2+1/2" inch exhaust.
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mods to 4AGE depend on how much money you want to spend and what type of 4age it is.

Don't know what kind of car its in but I'll assume its standard.

Start with suspension and ensure everything is right for you such as height, stiffness and damping rates etc etc.

Engine wise start with intake and exhaust. If you have a pod filter make sure you have a decent cold air intake. Hot air from engine bays suck power.

Exhaust-wise, you probably won't need extractors as the general consensus is that the factory headers are quite good. For a 1.6 4 cyl you won't need anything bigger than 2 to 2.25 inches.

As for internal mods like cams you can't modify too much with the factory computer. Go to Bill Sherwoods site and check it out. He knows pretty much everything there is to know on modifying these engines.

http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

Also search this site extensively.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wet pod = BAD, air will not be able to get through as good, and if the water soaks through the pod and gets into the inlet you will have problems,
as said just work on exhaust and suspension to begin with
LEVIN GTV
Regular

October 2004
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in regards to the pod, i am yet to see actual gains of having a so called "pod filter" in your engine bay.

why not get a k&n panel filter, put it in your air box. then run some cold air ducting from the bumper or gaurd? This is the way i will be doing it...
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i put the pod as my standard pipe coming off the throttle body had a whole in it , and i got the pod for free.

and the "whole" will look very similair to the ones on each side of a wrx bonnet , just a bit of extra airlfow .....its not a "scoop" lol.

http://www.japancar.ru/data/images/_catcolor/1999/ 0120.jpg

just imagine that whole on (our) right hand side , without the metal going through the middle

its a 100kw 4age.

whats teh best cams i can run on the factory computer ? and how much would they cost?

what about 20 valve head , quad throttle body?

im not interested in changing the engine.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 May 2005 06:23]

OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so 2 inch or 2 n a qaurter? how big would that standard one be? its an 89 sx corolla...

and like what exactly , high flow cat , bla bla ?>?
ke35 - 4AGZE
Regular

April 2004
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

do it
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must cut hole in bonnet for 230 watts more power...

Honestly man, Holes in bonnets do nothing, Go buy some cams or a decent exhaust...
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so why do wrx , evo;s and shit have them? u should tell the design team that theyre fuckd

264° mark

does he mean you can use these cams with the standard computer or with a chipped standard computer?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WRX's have vents in the bonnet to force air through the top mounted intercooler...

Unless you have an engine that can suck down litres of air a second, Bonnet holes or vents serve no purpose, UNLESS the vent is angled to let air flow through the radiator/intercooler better...

Im not 100% sure whether the Standard ECU can cope with aftermarket cams...
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, if your after bang for buck like i was at the time, this worked pretty well... and i did it in this order over a year or two

1. Superlow king springs $400 installed (outstanding difference)
2. Whiteline rear sway bar $160
3. k&n replacement box filter $130 (now for sale for $20)
4. 2.5" cat back system $450
5. exedy heavy duty clutch $360 (also for sale for $100!)

Cheers Smile
-daniel-
OUTRUN
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also evo;s have front mounts
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4AGE modifications Wed, 11 May 2005 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[QUOTE][so why do wrx , evo;s and shit have them? u should tell the design team that theyre fuckd/QUOTE]
One word.... HOMOLOGATION. this allows them to utilise these when building rally cars, ie the hole there, we now can play "use the rules" game when building a car.

Quote:

wet pod = BAD, air will not be able to get through as good, and if the water soaks through the pod and gets into the inlet you will have problems,

well in this circumstance yes, having a car parked, pissing down ran and a big hole over it, get wet, sure... I the raly car we always have used pod filters. We get cold air through the wheel arch, which in the AE10# a hole is already there, just remove the dust/resonance box just behing the bumper, get a VN intake pipe (The bit that is bolted directly to the air box), drill four holes, bolt this on, a bit of pipe that runs to the bumper, and run done!

Quote:

you probably won't need extractors as the general consensus is that the factory headers are quite good

By no means, all changing the rear half gives is a 5hp increase in power and alot more noise.. the headers is where all the power is hidden so change both.

Quote:

i mean like WHAT exhaust exactly , WHAT cams...

and in what order..

1.Exhaust. unless a custom jobbie.... well there are many to choose from and all work well, so that's abit of research you'll need to do.
2. Pull the head off, port job, may be a shave, but definately get a TRD gasket($150), this will give you a bit more comp, good springs, put it back togther with some B/P cams if you have a S/P 4AGE
3. Save for some decent cam with gears and an A/M ECU, Mircotech etc, most are the same these days. Injectors, fuel pump.
4.somewhere do suspsension and brakes...I like doing this stuff 1st, because I'll prefer handling and breaking over power. It's fun being able to pull away from faster cars into and out of corners, and watching their faces trying to figure things out.
5. finally things like quad throttles, etc this is going to cost a bit as fabrications are necessary.
da_snuff
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: 4AGE modifications Thu, 12 May 2005 07:45 Go to previous message
outrun, you have asked for help, people have suggested that cutting a hole in your bonnet may not be worth while, then u make smart arse comments that are actually making u look stupid...
the large main vents in the centre on evo's are for venting the hot air out of the bonnet.. as are the small ones on either side of a wrx bonnet... which is what yours will do if you cut a hole and dont have a scoop, maybe causing more hot air to travel past the pod than before... as far as aftermarket cams and standard computer go, yeh im pretty sure u can get away with 264 duration.
With extractors you gotta decide if u want low end or high end power, 4-1 extractors good for high end power and 4-2-1 have better low end torque, i think its round that way anyway... Rolling Eyes
someone correct me if im wrong Laughing
gluck
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:blue bird diff in ke30?
Next Topic:3TGTE Rebuild Guide, Would u like me to document
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 16:53:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.19411420822144 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.