Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » turbo's ( AFM with bov?)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 07:57 Go to next message
is it true that it is a bad idea to have a bov on a AFM car?

i assume there would be heaps of AFM cars that have bovs, but really the air that is escapeing to the atmosphere has already been measured, meaning the computer is going to be supplying fuel for this already accounted for air before it goes into the engine, so i can sorta see where there goiin with that idea.

then again, once the throttle is closed (foot taken off the accelerator), that air wasnt gona be goin in the engine anyways? so im not sure.

any1 care to explain?

[Updated on: Sun, 15 May 2005 07:58]

Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHen you take your foot off the accelerator, the air going through the throttle nearly comes to a standstill... and the air going through the AFM should nearly come to a standstill also. The presence of an atmo-venting BOV allows a differential to exist, and that's where the fuel mixtures get screwed up.

There's no reason to have an atmo-venting BOV on an engine anyway, whether AFM or not. They're also illegal. Plumb-back works just as good without any of the problems above, but of course they don't sound as hektik. Rolling Eyes
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the whole point of the BOV of any kind is to reduce the back pressure on the forward spinning motion of the turbo, which i rekon sounds pretty beneficial, especially when driving hard.

so u dont think an atmospheric BOV will be beneficial at all?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is no benefit over a plumb-back BOV. They both acheive the same thing, but the plumb-back doesn't have the nasty side-effects.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a atmo bov on a AFM will normaly cause you to run rich on gear shift. sometimes people may see a puff of black smoke after gear change on a atmo afm turbo engine. excessive richness can wash the bores which in turn can wear the rings down faster.

i run a atmo bov on my AFM 4agte, the engine still runs fine so it doesnt bother me. though the noise starts to get annoying after a while. Rolling Eyes
will be converting mine to a plumb back once i make the adaptor.
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Sun, 15 May 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha same with mine, i got over the noise in about 20min Laughing
SilverGhost
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: turbo's ( AFM with bov?) Mon, 16 May 2005 08:54 Go to previous message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 15 May 2005 21:42

a atmo bov on a AFM will normaly cause you to run rich on gear shift. sometimes people may see a puff of black smoke after gear change on a atmo afm turbo engine. excessive richness can wash the bores which in turn can wear the rings down faster.

i run a atmo bov on my AFM 4agte, the engine still runs fine so it doesnt bother me. though the noise starts to get annoying after a while. Rolling Eyes
will be converting mine to a plumb back once i make the adaptor.

I have an Atmo BOV on my 3SGTE equipped with AFM (came with the car, when i can afford it im going plumb back too) and most of the time it behaves normally, but occasionally the richness can cause a small backfire after changing gears if the cat/exhaust is hot enough.

To answer your question about how the AFM behaves. My S-AFC shows my AFM opening as a precentage. I have watched this when I change gears under boost, and when the throttle closes and the BOV operates the AFM spikes along with the psssht (sorry, didnt mean to go all technical there Very Happy ) Because air is now allowed to flow thru the BOV, not the throttle this adds to the richness, and out of whack A/F ratios.

However once the BOV closes and your driving away there doesnt seem to be any after effects to this A/F ratio change. Although some people have posted that their engine runs rough for a period after the BOV operates.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:82 hilux, help please
Next Topic:Wolf 3D cold start
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 23 13:20:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.10632705688477 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.