Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Two Towers - Awesome Fri, 20 December 2002 00:56 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

Not car related - saw LOTR, The Two Towers yesterday... was AWESOME! Go the ents...

sam.

[Updated on: Fri, 20 December 2002 01:10]

Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon8.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Fri, 20 December 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bastard!!!!
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Fri, 20 December 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How? I thought it was a global release?!

Umm maybe not...

Cheers
Wilbo
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sat, 21 December 2002 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, other countries released it mid-early dec. Even the Kiwi's had it released like dec 18th or something
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 22 December 2002 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im with Nark, BASTARD!!!
Anyone know when its relased here? its the 26th of this month isnt it?
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 22 December 2002 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Boxing Day 26th Dec. Very Happy

Can't wait!.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 25 December 2002 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How come u get to see it b4 boxing day Sam ??

dont u live in Syd ?

advanced screening ?? Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 25 December 2002 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ohh yeah.. BASTARD
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 25 December 2002 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam is on Holidays overseas atm
me thinks in Malaysia
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon6.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 25 December 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup. Malaysia.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Thu, 26 December 2002 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehehehe ... all this reminds me - I must pop on down to Imbi Plaza in Kuala Lumpur today to buy a DVD of Two Towers .... Very Happy
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Thu, 26 December 2002 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Checked Imbi yesterday Bill, still wasnt there Sad
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Thu, 26 December 2002 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
big group of us went and watched this movie today.

i totally enjoyed it! if u thought the first one was good, wait till u see this one.

how funny is gollum!! ahah and his 2 personalities! Cool

anyway, worth seeing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Thu, 26 December 2002 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah. Great movie.

Gollum looked so real! I was so amazed!

Quite a few deviations from the novel though. I especially didn't like how they're portraying Arwen as an elf instead of a half-elf...

I loved the battle scenes...
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Thu, 26 December 2002 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw it yesterday, I wasn't impressed with the added bit of Arwen either, but I did like the added fight scene with the wolves of isengard!

Definately better than the first, definately better fight scenes, although not much blood. (am fan of ninja scroll etc.)

Dwarf throwing! hahaha
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 29 December 2002 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just picked TTT on VideoCD yesterday, unfortunately most of the warg fighting scene was missing, most likely due to the tape having to be changed in the cinema (it's at around the 90 min mark!).

I agree with Nark about the elf bit, actually you probably cut out most of that elvish "dream scene" guff in the middle and still have a decent movie.

From memory, some of the other changes where the bit about when Pippin has to trick the ents into going to war, pretty sure they decided that at entmoot (hey we should call our monthly meetings Toymoot!!). I dont remember the wargs bit in the book, nor Frodo going to Osgiliath with Faramir, and the bit with Frodo trying to put on the ring in front of the wraith. Plus I think Frodos binding to the ring was overdone a bit, as was Gollums split personality. And of course the bits pushed back to the third movie (I hope) including the Saruman confrontation at Isengaurd and Shelob.

But as far as movies go you sort of expect that type of stuff, the bits that are true to the book are done flawlessly I think. Cant wait for ROTK... should make an awesome trilogy.

rgrds

sam

[Updated on: Sun, 29 December 2002 19:19]

Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 29 December 2002 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw the movie on saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as I'm concerned Peter Jackson has done a very good job and has been fairly true to the book.

Here are a few of my gripes though:

1. How are Merry and Pippin sposed to grow if they don't drink the ent drink stuff.

2. Gandalf was meant to be very different to his former self and the other characters weren't meant to recongnise him straight away.

3. The ents were meant to play a part in the battle of Helms Deep. (orcs travel through a forsest and mysteriously all die) Perhaps this will be in the next movie.

but I still can't get over them leaving Tom Bomadil out of the first movie... I thought that was quite important, oh well....

Wish I could just hibernate for a year or something so I could see the third movie now.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 29 December 2002 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the Ents decide to go to war at the Entmoot. But I can understand why they changed it. They took a long time and the introduction of Quickbeam (I think that was his name) would have been yet another new character.

Faramir in the movie is very different from what he's like in the book. He actually lets them go after Gollum gets captured. He never tried to take the ring or take the hobbits to Osgiliath.

I think the binding of Frodo to the ring is done well, it's just how I imagined it while reading the book. They do seem to be overdoing it a bit, but it's fine as long as they don't change the ending.....

Gollum's split personality was good. I quite liked it. The book didn't really highlight it much though, but it was definately there with references to Stinky/Gollum and Smelly/Smeagol (I think they were the names of his two personalities).

I have a feeling the confrontation at Isengard may not be included since the Ents didn't come and help at Helm's Deep in the movie...

But they replaced the Ents with the Elves during Helm's Deep. Kinda weird. I don't understand why they did that.

Shelob is in the third book isn't she?

And the whole Tom Bombadil and barrow wight section of the first book was missed, but I can understand why they cut it all out. The movie was already 3 hours long!!!

So far, everything to do with Arwen has annoyed me. She somehow appeared in place of Glorinfindel (I think that was his name) and rescued Frodo from Weathertop, then set off the river to kill the Nazgul (instead of Elrond doing it).
Then she seemed to chose mortality in the first movie, but in the second movie she was portrayed as being an elf and not having a choice!
Not happy Jan!
TOY77
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 29 December 2002 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day,

must agree, great movie.

Slinker and stinker were gollums personalities names, and i thought that was well done.... don't forget heaps of people who will see it haven't read the book so they can't be too subtle. (cause people who don't read and only see movies can be a bit slow on the uptake)

But the whole Arwen thing sucks.... they are trying to turn it in to too much of a love story.....

Have to go see it again....

Stew
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Sun, 29 December 2002 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of the guys here at work wanted me to bring in the books as he's never read them, or seen the first movie. I brought in The Hobbit today for him and he's walking around calling everything his "precious".

Stupid people bug me.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: Two Towers - Awesome Mon, 30 December 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never read the books, although we did briefly study Beowulf, which I'm told Tolkien borrowed from to write LOTR.

So from a completely uneducated point of view, the movie seems to works well.

I must be a sucker for blondes because I tend to like Éowyn as a focal female character than Arwen. More expressive personality. The Elf is too soft for my liking, but I suppose that is what an Elf is suppose to be like.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Mon, 30 December 2002 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Shelob is in the third book isn't she?

Frodo and Sam were captured by Shelob at the end of the 2nd book if I remember correctly. Shortly after being let go by Faramir

I think they have left this for the third book as otherwise the 2nd movie would be too long and the third too short.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 01 January 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Never really in to these kinda movies.
I wanted to go watch the TT so i watch the first one the day before i went, was pretty good.
TT was great loved it. So much better on the big screen.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 01 January 2003 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They could have included shelob at the end if they hadn't added the extra stuff with frodo and sam being captured and taken instead of being released. On the whole big dissapointment. First movie stayed true to the book only deleting parts that weren't really relevant to frodo's journey (as stated in the extra's) even though I would have liked to see Tom Bomber. The second half of the movie just totally deviated from he book. Aragorn going over the cliff? I didnt read that, come to think of it i didnt read about a battle there either. It just leaves me wondering what they'll ;eave out of the third to add what they left off the end of the second.
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Two Towers - Awesome Wed, 01 January 2003 10:23 Go to previous message
Originally I also was a bit disapointed, however I've come to realise that a book and a movie are two completly different things, stuff from books don't always work in a movie. As for leaving out Tom Bombadil, the first movie was already 3 hours long! I read the book again after seeing the first movie, and there is really a lot left out or modified, you can't really even begin to compare the two. I approached it more as a movie based on the books, rather than the screen version of the books themselves. If Peter Jackson was only targetting LOTR fans, then he could have made it more true to the book, and the diehard fans would enjoy it more, however I suspect it would end up being more boring for anyone else. And in the end, these things are all about making money, which means making it appeal to a wide range of people.

So yeah, I know where you're coming from, but I think if you read the books carefully you'll find that most things in the movie are based on something or other from the book, or at least try and get one of the points of the book across. Like the bit where treebeard takes merry/pippon to see the "white wizard", in an attempt to give the audience the impression that the white wizard was saruman instead of Gandalf. The bits that are true to the book are really well done, so some credit has to be given there.

I'm still not sure if I liked it better than the first or not, I'll have to see it a few more times to get my true feelings. The first movie, I liked better every time I watched it. I re-read the book after seeing the movie, and found I actually enjoyed it a lot more, and was able to pick up a lot more detail, probably cause my brain didn't have to work overtime imagining places and characters and stuff.

As for the last movie, I wonder if the Scouring of the Shire will be in it? I have a funny feeling that it won't make it, for the same reasons that Bombadil was left out. And if it isnt, will Saruman be let out of Isengard, or just killed on there? Just have to wait another year or so to find out... Sad

All my own opinion of course Very Happy

rgrds

Sam
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:buying parts overseas
Next Topic:Countering Understeer....???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 04:03:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058951377868652 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar