Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Thu, 25 September 2003 16:18 Go to next message
hello, could anyone help me, im looking at building a tough AW11 MR2 and was hoping someone could tell me how much power the standard box from a 4agze mr2 could handle.
i would be using a turbo'd version of this engine using the ballbearing T28 from a post 96 version SR20det and would expect to see the engine producing somewhere between 320-350hp at 15 psi.
is the box any different between the 4age and 4agze models? what final diff ratios do these prospective boxes have? and how much does an AW11 MR2 weigh?
i want my cake and to eat it too!!! these are the reasons i am considering the AW11 MR2 4agze targa.
-must hadle well
-must be open top (T roof),once youve had one you can't go back
-must be light to facilitate drag racing
-must be fuel efficient and reliable
-must be reasonably cheap to purchase and cost effective to modify (car already has engine bolted in, just add turbo etc..)

i did hear of someone running 10 second passes over the quarter in such a vehicle running a HKS GT30R turbo, though i am unsure of what box he was running, if this box is not suitable, is there another box that would bolt in place?

i estimate with the t28, and 340hp, this combo would be good for aproximately 11.5's @ 125mph over the quarter if the car were to weigh in the vicinity of 1000kg, and would require a diff ratio of 4.1-4.3 to acheive this goal given that weight. are these ratio's available in these boxes?

any help is much apreciated. thanx, toyboy
  Send a private message to this user    
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Thu, 25 September 2003 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi there,

Im actually in the midst of building a 4agte for my aw11..
i have a GZE at the moment and the Gearbox they run is a E51... Its very very very strong.. has a internal oil pump and a few nice goodies..
but you will need to find a LSD if you want good times.. i have a LSD and there is no going back Razz

Umm.. as for 350HP!??!?!?!??!?!?!? on 15PSI!?!?!?!?!?!?
Mate your working with 1600cc.. unless your doing some insane Nitro jobbie i think your aiming too high..

As for the car.. There is no way in hell i would put 350HP into a Targa Roof Aw11.. Can you say.. "Chassis Flex!?!?!!"
The targa cars are known to handle not quite good on its limits.. there is alot of regitity in the roof of the aw11..
The car you refer too is a red Mr2 Turbo aw11 owned by Ben who visits here every now and again.. He had 200kw at the wheels i believe.. But mate, he was running serious boost!!! and a Hoooooge Turbo..
I think you need to sit down and really do some research.. you cant just jump into this one..
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Thu, 25 September 2003 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the red aw11 runs a gt30 turbo thats about 4 times bigger then what ur plaing to run.....you make 11sec so easy to get into belive me its hard... well easy with lots of money!
good luck though...
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing i will add on that note..
What the Funk is with everyone these days thinking they are gonna run 11's? im not saying its impossible but everyone seems to underestimate how hard it is.. with all these plates going around.. IDO-11s and IDO-09s im over it..
Also.. Can anyone say LAG!??!!? its becomming fashionable to have a shitload of lag..
I recently read something of a guy in a S2 Rx7 with a 13b that didnt produce boost till 7000rpm??!?!? and he loved it?!?! what the hell is wrong with people..
TecEVO
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
weight:
1050KG. For NA model non targa.
Wieght goes up from there!
Targa = wieght + plus flex
Supercharger+ E51 box = weight + power.

I don't think there will be any difficulty with the chassis taking the power if he's only after a drag car.
With the power he wants (dreams) the front wheels want be doing much any way (until it comes time to brake).

The SC gearbox is much stronger. Some one once said it runs the same internals as the SW20 T gearbox????
But I'm not sure, either way it's strong.
Alot of super charger gearbox came with clutch type LSD. (mine did Smile )

TRD make straight cut gears for the GT4/MR2T they might fit and would free up some horses and also lighten your wallet.

Tome twin chager setups based on the 4AGZE, have put out 400hp.
But it all depends how you use it, i think the box would handle 400hp on the street if it was not all used at the lights maybe even computer controller boost limits that maatch the gears.
But the shock and torque loading involved in drag launches will not do it any good.

Sorry I'm Rabbiting on...

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the red aw11 runs a gt30 turbo thats about 4 times bigger then what ur plaing to run.....

are you sure? Has the turbo been changed since the car was featured in Zoom (making 204RWKW)? I havnt seen a GT30 with an internal wastegate and bolt flanges on the compressor housing Smile
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/benstats.jpg

toyboy,
if you want a light car for drag racing, buy something else.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah buy something with potential, like a TA22 Very Happy
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 26 September 2003 19:07

Yeah buy something with potential, like a TA22 Very Happy

no no, you got it wrong. i think he would still like to have a real car....

Twisted Evil
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We'll see if they are real cars or not when mine is finished Laughing
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply's peoples,
yes i know there are better cars out there for drag racing ie... datsun 1200 with ca18det b/b t28 etc... solid rear axle, 300 kilo's lighter, cheaper to make hp, but the damn things are old and most require spray jobs, rust problems, look like somthing a turd aspires to be etc..
thanks for the info on chasi flex problems, im sure it could be overcome with some work though.
the b/b t28 turbo's produce about 360hp on other engines at 17psi, and remember im aiming at at about 320-350hp, i can't see why this couldnt be acheived with this turbo? after all, its the turbo size thats the limiting factor to horsepower, not the cubic capacity of the engine, and the turbo has the proven potential to make these power figures.
i also have owned a high 12 second xy fairmont that ran on avgas, i would like to run faster because it just felt slow to me after a while.
the car, given these power figures and weight, if it ran a perfect run with the right gearing would run in the ten second bracket according to my morosso power calculator. so with an independant rear end i have ASSUMED high to mid elevens should be possible. i am a theorist though, and would like your responses to continue so i can gather the info required.

thanx, steve.
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ps. i have outlined the reasons i like this car, if anyone has a suggestion as to another car that fits the bill, thats great, but otherwise, don't rubbish my choice of ride, after all, i don't go round hanging crap on old rust bucket celica's that can't handle corners well and require compacting at all oportunity's do i? oh, i think i just did? LOL Twisted Evil Razz
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am on my third GTE combo in an AW11 and let me tell u that it is gunna be expensive and hard to acieve those kind of figures.
But in saying that I am on the same journey as yourself. I just had fitted a VG30 T28 (T3). running on 12 pounds.
I used to run a CT20 before @15pounds. The CT20 felt like it pulled hard and showed 5000n on the dyno but ran out of puff at 5000 (before it exploded). The new turbo pulles smooth righ through so you dont get the bang of tourque but lookin at the speedo and you know over a distance you are going faster and it boost all the way to redline.Dont have any dyno figures yet but will post them when I do.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyboy wrote on Sat, 27 September 2003 02:58

don't rubbish my choice of ride,

i cant rubbish your choice of a aw11, i've had mine since early 1995 and think they are the best car toyota ever made.
it's just a shame they are a little heavy, but that doesnt stop them from being a awesome handling nimble car.

i am on my 2nd gte now and pulcino just hopes his is better than mine this time.... Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Fri, 26 September 2003 22:25]

pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 26 September 2003 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Only time will tell drifter boy!!!
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Sat, 27 September 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the b/b t28 turbo's produce about 360hp on other engines at 17psi, and remember im aiming at at about 320-350hp, i can't see why this couldnt be acheived with this turbo?

Spot on, Toyboy, providing your head/intake/exhaust combo can flow the horsepower too at that boost. You wont have a drama making the power you want with this turbo, as it IS the same as the one pictured on the red AW11 in zoom Smile making 204kw at the wheels. Dont trust the print in magazines, They claimed Yogi's turbo to be a GT30 also, but yet again, its an internal wastegate GT28.
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Mon, 29 September 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy thanks for your replies pulcino and TE72 turbo,
i was wondering how both your rides fair with regards to turbo lag ect... what final drive ratios you run, and also any other setup description, performance and overall satisfaction with your packages.

if a two litre turbo makes X amount of power with a turbo charger at 15psi, would that same turbo charger on a 1.6 litre engine with the same compression ratio, have to run at 20% higher psi to acheive the same power figure, given that the 1.6 litre capacity is a 20% smaller area of volume for the charger to compress the charge required for that ammount of horsepower.
thus requiring 18psi on the 1.6.

if this is the case, would that turbocharger at its maximum safe limit of 15psi, on a two litre engine, run safely at 18psi on the smaller engine because it is still forcing the same amount of charge, or, is there more stress on the turbine given the higher psi, thus reducing the amount of charge safely forced into the chamber. this is important to me as the t28 ballbearing turbo that i want to run, has a ceramic turbine, and im unsure as to why the safe limit is 15psi for that particular turbo.

also, at the risk of being labelled a dreamer, i would like to THEORISE the possibilities of turbocharging the 4agze whilst retaining the supercharger to eliminate the turbo lag problem.
lets say that a standard 4age makes 80kw at 6400rpm and a 4agze makes 120kw at 6400rpm (as in truno gtz 1990).
that equates to a 50% greater volume of charge entering, and being discharged from the 1.6 litre engine. given that fact, the turbochager hanging on the side of the engine thinks its hanging on the side of a 2.4 litre engine. (1.6 X 50% charge rate equals .8 of a litre, plus the original 1.6= 2.4).
then a turbo spooling up at 2000rpm on a 2ltr engine, now spools up at 1600rpm on the 1.6 twin charged engine, given that the 2.4 ltre exaust gas rate is 20% greater than the 2ltr discharge the turbo is used to.

also, you would probably want to change to a smaller turbo as the engine is already producing 160hp (120kw) of charged power,
and you would be absolutely insane to want more than 400hp, 160hp plus 320hp (conservative) from the b/b t28 = 480hp.
thus to acheive a goal of 400hp, you would require a turbo that produces 400 - 160 = 240hp. probably a tubo rated at 260hp.
now that we can use a smaller turbo, it will again spool up in the vacinity of 20% quicker than the 1600 rpm required for the b/b t28, given that the turbo is of similar quality (b/b).
now that turbo will spool up at 1280rpm.
this would be razor sharp throttle response that would pull like a scalded cat shot in the ass with a bb gun from 1280rpm - 6400rpm. you would have to run variable turbo pressure, so it could be turned down for street use. interesting theory though, isn't it. please respond.

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Mon, 29 September 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why do you refer to the turbo you have chosen (post '96 SR20DET bb T28) as having a maximum safe boost of 15psi? They are not ceramic, they have a steel turbine Smile

You lost me on the twin-charger theories buddy Razz I cant see a huge benefit with having such a complex (and heavier) system when the T28 is already making 5psi boost at 2500rpm on its own. How often do you need buckets of torque just off idle? One of the great things about the 4AG is that they love to REV, why choke it down to run pushrod revs?
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Mon, 29 September 2003 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having a GZE and going Turbo..

Here Here
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 30 September 2003 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Evil or Very Mad the sky had darkened and the earth was once again flat. i saw them coming at me in the moonlight, from every direction, as they stealthely advanced i could hear their voices becoming clearer, the intent of their advancement made more manifest. heathen, warlock, they cried angrily. let your magic save you now, devil!
if only they could understand, if only they knew. i was not a practicer of magic, the devil, or some evil anti-christ. that realy, the fire i had shown them was not some demonic creation, but a technology they should fully embrace.

you just cant please anyone, except my new bud corvid. it wont have enough torque(t28). what do you want with torque (t28 + supercharger).

anyway, i was told by someone selling a s15 t28, that it did indeed have a ceramic exaust turbine wheel. im sorry if this guy's info is wrong and it makes me look silly, but i took for granted this was correct, him having one to sell and all.

i dont see your point TE72 turbo, after all, how difficult can it be to join two pipes together before the inlet manifold, and, how is this relagating the 4agze back to the days of pushrod engines. i was quoting peak power at 6400rpm, not peak rpm, which remains as per standard 4agze. both 4agze engines from the truno gtz and mr2 gt make peak power at 6400rpm, nothing would have changed except the power figures. the power curve remains unchanged. you would want to turn your boost down for this style of driving though, so that your turbo doesn't run out of puff at the extra rpm.

that being said, why would i want more torque? riddle me this batman. why do people stroke their engines, and why do people now run ball bearing turbo's? uhm, to get more torque and to get it earlier? yes, thats right!!! tell him what his won bob!!!
torque! torque = better streetability, it also increases both your fun and burnout factors. true, you wont go any faster over the quarter with this package using the smaller turbo option,because of the extra 90kg. but, what a great package to drive it would be.

my moroso power speed caculator, tells me this package, if given perfect conditions, would pass the quarter in 10.8 seconds. this would be possible with 3.9:1-4.1:1 gearing, and 25.5-26.5 inch high tyres respectively. in the real world though, given driver reaction times and traction control problems ascociated with independant rear ends, times would likely be around 11.5.

iv'e posted quite a few queries and theories, and thanks for addressing some of them. i also look forward to reading your intelligent replies. i hope we can all help each other out in the quest for knowledge and power, even if our objectives aren't all the same.

thanx, toyboy.

P.S. please note that the earth wasn't flat, just because everyone thought that it was.
signed, columbus.

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2003 20:37]

Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 30 September 2003 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look dude.. im not having a go at you... Rolling Eyes
But you seriously need to look at what your trying to achieve from a 1600cc? with such low boost?

As for running the twin charged setup.. I really dont see a huge advantage.. sure the GZE has the power off the line, i know this cause i ÖWN a AW11 with a GZE. But up top the blower really runs out of puff.. ive driven an Aw11 with a T28 and excuse me for saying but it would Slay a GZE, even around a extremely tight cuircut...
If your going to do this.. then i would seriously advise against the twin setup... just my 2c.. but ultimately its up to you.
But remember, you cant get touchy when you come on here asking for ppl's opinions and they tell you what you dont want to hear??
as for all this earth being flat bullsh*t your going on about..
Im very open to new mechanical ideas.. But your ISNT new and frankly it was never a good idea.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 30 September 2003 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to chip in, i really like the twin charged idea.. always have.. but it is not so easy as joining two pipes together...

to be able to have the best of both worlds, you will be wanting to switch the blower off when the turbo is making decent boost. this presents quite a few probs (if you want a smoothish torque curve). when the blower stops, you suddenly lose a whole bunch of air, and boost drops. also when it stops, you want to be able to sort of block it off so the blower doesn't spin backwards.

ideally you would have a controlled boost bleed system so that the turbo is actually pushing the same amount of air as the SC, at the same pressure, when both are going, but half is boing bld off, so that when you shut down the SC, there is no drop in boost or torque...

then there is the problem of what logic to use to switch the SC back on.....

all said and done, i think the extra weight and complexity would make for an awesome street car, where stop and start, and low speed corners are more common..... for a track car whre you always have revs up, turbo only is the go...

but, i would/will do it for the complexities sake alone Wink nothing like a good challenge.
have a go Very Happy
Cya, Stewart

TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 01 October 2003 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyboy mate, no one is having a go at you, its just that the twin charger idea is not a new one, and its certainly not as easy as joining the outlet pipes from the turbo & supercharger. Theres a much more precice science to it than that, which in practice outweighs any real benefits. having useable torque at 1250rpm verses 3000rpm means little really, even on the street. How often do you find yourself in a position to need to stab the throttle at such low revs? Having a reasonable amount of torque at 3000rpm is certainly low enough to power you out of any corner, and off the line from a standing start.

If you were in Canberra, I'd gladly let you see how pleasing a 4AG with a T28 can be Smile Smile

My reference to taking the 4AG back to pushrod days was in reference to trying to make it produce bagloads of torque at caravan towing revs Very Happy

By all means, if you have the resources to take on the challenge, go ahead and twin charge the beast, we may be surprised. Its just a lot of work to fill a small hole down low in the revs.

Cheers

Phil
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 01 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile thanks for the replies, they make a lot of sense, in reality, after weighing up the pro's and cons from your feedback, i would have to agree that the benefits are too minimal to warrant the twin charger option. and i would also agree that given your info, that this could indeed turn out to be a complex saga. thanks for the info,
and i apreciate your opinions and experience.

steve Very Happy

toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 01 October 2003 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes i just toyed with the idea of spinning the charger at a slower rate, so that it didnt run out of puff at higher rpm, up to say 7500rpm, and then elimenating the need to shut the blower off and all its related problems, but this reduces your your charge down low where you want it by 50%, given that it's already running out of puff at 5000rpm standard. maybe a bigger s/c could be run? but i won't be doing it. i think t28 only is the way to go. what about a 20v t28 version? Laughing

yes i can be silly at times, earth flat crap and all that Razz
anyway, cheers for the replies.

toyboy.

[Updated on: Wed, 01 October 2003 16:51]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 01 October 2003 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remember 20v runs higher compression (being n/a), so to get any reasonable sort of boost out of it you'd have to drop compression, etc etc etc.
toyboy
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 01 October 2003 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah your right, i think that a standard set of 4agze pistons would fit, given that both the 20v 4age and ze have 20 mm gudgeons, and that valve clearance wouldn't be a problem because i think they run dished pistons in the ze? also bob sherwoods page says that the heads are non interference types. so it's quite feasable that this would work. aparently the vvt of the 20v wont work on the 4agze bottom end, im unsure as to wether it could be modded and made to work though? the crank, rods and block in both the 20v and ze engines are aparently of equal thickness and strength, and the oil cooled pistons are also common to both. i would prefer to run the silvertop 20v, because of it having the closed chamber heads, these being less prone to detonation than the open chamber varieties,especialy important when running high boost, but depending on chamber volume, may still require the compression to be dropped. maybee a copper head gasget of apropriate thickness would do the job. anyone know? Confused

steve Very Happy
pulcino
Regular

November 2002
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 10 October 2003 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been out of town and have obviously missed all the HUBBUB.
Toyboy I had a small turbo on CT20 kicked in @ 2400 revs and screamed till you got to just over 5000. The tourque with this set up left Gen3 Crummydores standing still but no top end power due to exhaust restriction. I have taken people out in my new set up VG30 turbo and all they say is HOLY HELL. It doesnt seem to come on as savage as the other one but is sweet as hell.Drives like a factory item without the sudden kick in the pants that most aftermarket combose give (untill you want it to).
I was a little worried cos this Turbo is actually bigger than the sr20 t28 so I diddnt know what to expect. But at 12 pounds the speedo looks like a tacko.
Do what u want never let anyone drive you from your dreams but be realistic. There is a reason why twincharged has only been attempted by the few....
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 10 October 2003 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yet another one in the middle of the same conv. AW11 SC to Turbo. Join the club... and here I was thought I was all alone.

My 2c for a few of your questions.

The the AW11 SC box is the same as the early SW20 MR2 gearboxes. Yup E51.. not sure but i think the later SW20 MR2s had a E153 Gearbox. Which had an upgrade from twin to triple syncros which makes a big diff. to the survival of the useability of your gearbox. They all mate up to the 4a bellhousing. Don't ask me about diffs though.

Go for the 51 and when you kill it get it rebuild with the later model triple syncros. IMO the gearbox will handle anything a 1.6 can dish out. Hell they use celica gb's behind v8's so Toyota must have known what they're doing. The SC GB has higher ratios than the NA version. Highway cruise is about 4000rpm in the NA to 3000rpm in the SC. I've heard of people using the NA GB behind a 4agte and it handles it for a while but you kill the synchros pretty quick. Would be way fun with the lower ratios though : )

The SC gearbox is approx. 15kg heavier than the NA box. And you could probably get a streetable AW11 down to 950 dry kgs once you've ditched the SC unit an heaps of other interor stuff (ie. elec windows back to winders, stereo... seats, dash?.)

Chassis rigidity is not really a problem if you just want to drag it cause the motor is right over the drive wheels, but the serious track dudes seek out the JDM AW11's that had no targa or sunroof. They are by far the most rigid... next the sunroof model like (i think) all Aussie delivered models then finally the flexi old targas like in the SC models... (great for summer but). I am prototyping a set of super-light fibreglass targa roofs. Should loose some of the weight from the glass.

Though dude, the mr2 is a midship...! sure it would get good power to the ground at the strip but they are made for the track and big sweeping hi-speed bends. Nothing beats an AW11 in that department unless it's from Italy. If you wanna make sub 11's why not just get a V8 (Toyota of course).

Disclaimer: I am only pretty new to all this myself, so If i'm wrong with any of this please remember that when you flame me.
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 16 December 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
planning on making about 80 more rwhp.. running 10psi less...
with a smaller turbo.... and running a quicker time.
Rolling Eyes

oooooooookay then.

midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 16 December 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you looked at putting in a 3SGTE..
aparantly a stock one in an aw11 will run 13s.....
TecEVO
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Tue, 16 December 2003 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Australian delivered AW11 has a tin roof, no sun roof, just thought I would clear that up...

Anybody made a CFRP/GRP bonnet yet, the steel originals are insanely heavy, If not why not! Do I have to everything!

Also i took one of the seats out the other day (so that I could fit my lounge in!), holly crap they are heavy, also when replacing them with race seats I will be able to lower them some what and my head will stop supporting the roof...

sorry off topic,

Why not just fit a 2.5l v6 bolts straight up to the SC gearbox, so I hear, all alloy,
But i don't know the rules on turboing this motor maybe if you get it register running very light boost with na computer and mass flow sensor then change it later...
Thats what I'm thinking..

The new Toyota 4wd has a the v6 in it (but 3.3L) and is four wheel drive, yeah, that is next on my list.

Later,
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Wed, 17 December 2003 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TecEVO wrote on Wed, 17 December 2003 08:08

Anybody made a CFRP/GRP bonnet yet, the steel originals are insanely heavy,

not yet, but will be. need to get myself set-up proper 1st.
GUN METAL 87 SC
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 20 May 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How can this end like this ????

I was just getting excited !!

Anyway feral have you got a propper set up yet Laughing Laughing

I have seen your recent adventures with the Feroza and i am looking at my car going on a significant diet. I mean if i weigh 56 kg then i reckon a fair weight for my car is around 900kg
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 20 May 2005 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyboy wrote on Fri, 26 September 2003 02:18

hello, could anyone help me, im looking at building a tough AW11 MR2 and was hoping someone could tell me how much power the standard box from a 4agze mr2 could handle.
i would be using a turbo'd version of this engine using the ballbearing T28 from a post 96 version SR20det and would expect to see the engine producing somewhere between 320-350hp at 15 psi.

i estimate with the t28, and 340hp, this combo would be good for aproximately 11.5's @ 125mph over the quarter if the car were to weigh in the vicinity of 1000kg, and would require a diff ratio of 4.1-4.3 to acheive this goal given that weight. are these ratio's available in these boxes?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I dont mean to sound like im paying you out but this will only happen in your dreams! And that my friend is a fact!

The best you may see out of an s15 gt28 turbo will be about 170-180rwkw and that will be on about 20psi.

As for the gearbox, yes it will handle quite a lot. Just make sure all the syncros and bearings are good.

How do i know this you may ask.....My 4AGTE made 177.8rwkw with a gt28 on 20 psi. Then it made 205.8rwkw on 22.5psi with a modified gt28. There is no way in hell i could get anymore out of that turbo so i can tell you right now that you will NEVER see the power figures you have mentioned out of that gt28.

Having said that, i hope you do get the power you are after but may i suggest that you try using another engine. Not to say that the old 4agze isnt a good engine but its a lot easier to achieve your goal by putting a 3sgte in your car. and besides, a 3sgte halfcut costs the same as a gze. This is the mistake i made! dont make the same mistake.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Fri, 20 May 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 01:10

Having said that, i hope you do get the power you are after but may i suggest that you try using another engine. Not to say that the old 4agze isnt a good engine but its a lot easier to achieve your goal by putting a 3sgte in your car. and besides, a 3sgte halfcut costs the same as a gze. This is the mistake i made! dont make the same mistake.

a tad more pricey for the gen 3 ones tho.

The gze gearboxes are supposed to be very strong and the driveshafts are equally up to the task just take one look at the s/c driveshafts they are very thick especially when compared to the n/a ones

The good thing with the mr2's are that they are pretty easy to get off the line quickly with the mid engine layout
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Sat, 21 May 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GUN METAL 87 SC wrote on Fri, 20 May 2005 22:09

you got a propper set up yet Laughing Laughing

umm.. no. Sad

Quote:

I mean if i weigh 56 kg then i reckon a fair weight for my car is around 900kg

i doubt you will get your car to weigh 900kg. 56kg? you must be small. Wink

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 gearbox ? handle 350hp 4agte, ?AW11 weight? Sat, 21 May 2005 05:44 Go to previous message
4agte wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 09:49

fatmr2 wrote on Sat, 21 May 2005 01:10

a tad more pricey for the gen 3 ones tho.

I'd sooner spend a little more to buy the gen 3 3sgte than piss fart around with a gze. even a gen 2 would be better than the gze.

You need to think of the big picture. the cost of buying the 3sgte and getting that sort of power is a lot cheaper than trying to squeeze that sort of power out of a 4agte.
The 3sgte will prolly last a little longer too as you wouldnt have to push this engine to its limits as you would with the 4agte to get big power.

Oh, and people that say its too expensive are just tight asses Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta22 transplant
Next Topic:head bolts
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Jun 13 01:35:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.059542894363403 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.