Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » semi-slicks on the road?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
white86
Regular

May 2004
semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 12:52 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

Just wondering who's had any experience using semi-slick tyres on the street. I consider tyres to be of primary importance in terms of handling (because they are...) and would make some compromise in terms of tyre wear (I only get 20-30k km's anyway...).

There's a few good prices on this site (MX5 Mania), I am looking at Dunlop D01's and the Falken Azenis RT215's.

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Cheers, Dan
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couple of people I know who use the Falken 215s speak well of them - I've got a couple of new ones waiting to go on my car, but I haven't tried them yet for myself.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20-30 thousand kays from road tyres is pretty good i only get about 15 thousand kays outta my rears
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha well my fronts wear in about 20,000 km's. My rears last for ever, I don't have the power to spin decent ones!

mrshin, post here when you have tried them out.

Any comments on the praticality of semi slicks for the road, wet-weather handling, etc?
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are they legal ?
i was thinking of getting some and getting into track days and stuff.
But i struggle to afford one set of tyres let alone two of them.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate uses them on his clio for the road he said they are like an average road tyre wher your pottering arround and a little slippery in the wet but not too bad however once they warm up the grip is supposed to be not campareable to regular performace street tyres
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of my mates used to run semi-slicks (sorry dunno the brand) on a r33 with 250rwkw. Couldn't go over 40-50km/h in the wet without aquaplaning.

Eddie.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my toyo 08R semi slicks are good in wet and in the dry are unstoppable

awesome i say Wink
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

I use and have been using the Falken Azenis RT 215 tyres (just picked up another new set a few weeks ago, apparently the last in the country?? They are being superceded apparently but the new model has no arrival date). I drive on the street with them, attend the occassional track day and head up to WSID for drags a few times a year. I got about 12,000km out of my last ones. They had a hard time at the track etc but on the street I am pretty sedate (ie I am not into burnouts etc).

I have found them to be quite good in the wet and have not had any instances where I have aquaplaned (my car only weighs 900kg wet and my tyres are 215 wide rears and 205 wide on the front).

They offer an exceptional upgrade in grip levels over "standard" performance tyres. For example: I also use Dunlop FM901's, if I run the 901's on the rear I can wheels spin in the first 4 gears in the dry on a good quality road (on a number of occassions I have had the rear end step out at around 110km/h on the highway when boost comes on Shocked , usually scares the shit out of the passenger and the car behind me Rolling Eyes ). With the RT215's on the car it will grip in all gears when boost hits. If I "warm" them up I can do a high rpm launch and get perfect traction. Without warming them up I still get a good launch with controllable wheelspin. Launching with any sort of boost on the 901's just meant uncontrollable wheelspin through 1st, 2nd and then start to get traction in 3rd.

I would like to try some other tyres similar to the RT215's for comparison but most brands don't make the size I require.

In summary, I found the RT215's to perform very well in a variety of conditions. As with softer compound any tyre of this type though they can wear out a bit quick.

NOTE: the RT215's are DOT approved tyres.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i went for a ride in a friends Azeni shod AE86 the other day. pissing down with rain... did a few hard stops and quick 180's around roundabouts and i gotta say they have great wet traction Smile
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Mon, 23 May 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Mon, 23 May 2005 23:14

Are they legal ?
i was thinking of getting some and getting into track days and stuff.
But i struggle to afford one set of tyres let alone two of them.

yes they are legal the exige and m3 csl have them from the factory.
exquisit
Regular

May 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey ke382TG

you say you have the azenis with 215 at the rears
can you pm me where u get them from as i can only find 205

thanks
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much is a good price to pay do you think ?
cuz with the IRS my back tyres are worn on the inside already
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

you say you have the azenis with 215 at the rears
can you pm me where u get them from as i can only find 205

I will post up my reply as it's info others may like to know.

I had 215/45 R16 on the back up until about 3 days ago (they were worn out). I was unable to source that size again and Falken did not have any and were not getting any either. They originally told me that they had basically no stock of the RT215's left, but after a few phone calls the last (apparently) set of 4 tyres in 205/50 R16 were found and sent to the shop in Canberra for me to purchase. I wasn't too fussed about going to a 205 as it's not much difference at all, and certainly not a difference I could feel Wink

I can only fit 205's on the front of my car anyway, so I was happy with a set of 4 in 205mm Very Happy

Quote:

How much is a good price to pay do you think ?

It depends on the size, but cheapest I have seen is $180 each for 15" RT215 tyres at Tempe (whether they have them in stock or not I don't know) and up to $300 or so for the larger diameter wheels 17" 18" etc.

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 03:00]

KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to point out, Falken Rt215 are not Semis or R compund. They just have softer compund
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just to point out, Falken Rt215 are not Semis or R compund. They just have softer compund

Thats right, the Falken RS-VO4 are the R compound ones from Flaken and would grip like buggery and be worn out in no time on the street.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would think you get 5000-10000km out of true semis on the street.

i.e not worth it Very Happy
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I would think you get 5000-10000km out of true semis on the street.

Much less unfortunately. From all reports a bit of spirited driving could see less than 3000km on the street. Better have deep pockets to keep buying those (people do).

As an aside, a certain group of "enthusiasts" in the Capital regularly drive on full cross-ply drag slicks Shocked I have no idea how the cops don't catch them. A couple of months back I saw a certain rotary (which does run 9's on a proper strip) driving up the main street of the city with slicks, front runners and a parachute at about 9pm on a Friday night. It was heading to one of the known street race spots. These guys are certainly not keen to lose a race, but don't seem too bothered about losing some drivers licence points or cash in fines Rolling Eyes

Sirry irriots No No No

[Updated on: Tue, 24 May 2005 03:44]

greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: semi-slicks on the road? Tue, 24 May 2005 04:18 Go to previous message
I spent all last week ringing around to find some RT-215's and I was told that they are all sold out by the Falken importer/wholesaler. I settled for some ST-115's ($160ea) in the end and I'm very happy with them.
My mate has had RT-215's on his Datsun 1600 and the grip is pretty awesome. He got 20,000 miles (32,000km) out of his fronts, rears are still going...
The RT-615's should be out later this year and sound pretty cool Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:gz20 soarer wheel alignment
Next Topic:1jz non-vvti to vvti
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 28 07:00:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.12390685081482 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.