Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chadix24_7
Occasional Poster

September 2004
4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Tue, 24 May 2005 04:28 Go to next message
here's a pic:

it's a bit dirty by the moment...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/chadix24_7/Image111.jpg

would it give me more power?

would i still enable or disable the t-vis?

any comments?

Send a private message to this user    
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Tue, 24 May 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting, it looks like the dual runners have been joined together, so T-VIS would just be an obstruction.

It would be great for a turbo setup...
skit
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Tue, 24 May 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would agree with Ben.

With the stock bigport manifold, each runner out of the plenum splits into 2 smaller cicular runners (thats 2 per cylinder) which mate up with the TVIS plate. TVIS operates a butterfly in one of each of these pairs of circular intakes per cylinder. The remaining intakes (without the butterflies) are un-obstructed.

For an atmo engine, adding a TVIS plate to your setup may well choke flow too much. On the flip side, running with that manifold may well see some laggy throttle response to the large cross section of each runner (ie low intake velocity >> poor volumetric efficiency at low rpm). With a stock 4ag setup you would lose torque and perhaps gain a little peak power. You would need extensive head modifications to make use of the flow available from that manifold, and the extra power achievable will be at the top end of the rev range.

I have no experience with turbo's but I think your manifold is much better suited to this application, like Ben says. It should work better without a TVIS plate because less restriction equals less work for your turbine to do.

Forced induction is not all about boost pressures, the principle is still to get a greater volume of air into the motor. For example, with a TVIS plate, you would register higher manifold boost pressures, but most likely would be flowing less cfm of air into the engine than without the TVIS running a lower boost pressure. Further, less pressure equals less heat generation, we all know thats a plus.

Jeez that's almost an essay, didn't mean to preach. Just my opinion.

Did you make this manifold or is it for sale somewhere?

Scott
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Tue, 24 May 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the car is turbo it would be ok i guess.

looks very similar to the standard one...
chadix24_7
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Tue, 24 May 2005 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skit wrote on Tue, 24 May 2005 17:12

I would agree with Ben.

With the stock bigport manifold, each runner out of the plenum splits into 2 smaller cicular runners (thats 2 per cylinder) which mate up with the TVIS plate. TVIS operates a butterfly in one of each of these pairs of circular intakes per cylinder. The remaining intakes (without the butterflies) are un-obstructed.

For an atmo engine, adding a TVIS plate to your setup may well choke flow too much. On the flip side, running with that manifold may well see some laggy throttle response to the large cross section of each runner (ie low intake velocity >> poor volumetric efficiency at low rpm). With a stock 4ag setup you would lose torque and perhaps gain a little peak power. You would need extensive head modifications to make use of the flow available from that manifold, and the extra power achievable will be at the top end of the rev range.

I have no experience with turbo's but I think your manifold is much better suited to this application, like Ben says. It should work better without a TVIS plate because less restriction equals less work for your turbine to do.

Forced induction is not all about boost pressures, the principle is still to get a greater volume of air into the motor. For example, with a TVIS plate, you would register higher manifold boost pressures, but most likely would be flowing less cfm of air into the engine than without the TVIS running a lower boost pressure. Further, less pressure equals less heat generation, we all know thats a plus.

Jeez that's almost an essay, didn't mean to preach. Just my opinion.

Did you make this manifold or is it for sale somewhere?

Scott

the manifold was custom made here in the philippines.

so you mean to say that i would lose power if i install it? i have a 7age set-up though and i thought it would help with the increase in displacement.
skit
Regular

November 2004
Re: 4age bigport fabricated shortened intake manifold Wed, 25 May 2005 00:19 Go to previous message
Out of my league now, but a 7a is a long block 4a effectively, right - longer stroke? Same 4a head? I don't know much about the conversion, especially regarding cams. Your inlet cam spec would be fairly important in taking advantage of any possible increase in torque available with the new manifold.

Thats all I can offer, sorry.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:light weight racing wheels
Next Topic:4age erratic idle problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 1 05:59:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045230388641357 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.