Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 04:51 Go to next message
I've got one of these quickshifters, and while I like the shorter throw, the constant transfer of g/box noise to the cabin and the syncro-munching rattle at 5000rpm are getting on my nerves. Confused

Just curious if you could fit a dampener. I was thinking along the lines of a solid rubber bush fitted over the shaft, or even a gel based dampener.
Any ideas which would work better, or an even better idea?

Cheers
Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go dodgy dan style and wrap the end in electrical tape... might last a little while Rolling Eyes

then start to break off and go inside your gear box...

How much clearance between the ball and the housing it sits in? Maybe you could take a bit off it and fit an original t50 item?
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Already have Embarassed Also stuck 2 or three rubber grommets in the knob.
The TRD shifter has no dampener at all, the original has about 30mm from the dampener to the ball from memory.
How about cutting the original stick just below the damper and welding it onto the TRD one?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shifter bushing gone?
Instigator_PsY
Regular

December 2003
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe i got one aswell its so painfull after 5000 rpm Crying or Very Sad
its metal on metal no bushing at all, while i look for a stock shifter i just hold the stick in gear to stop it rattling and destroying my close ratio t50.

So if anyone has a spare stock t50 shifter ill gladly buy it off you Smile

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 pieces of 1mm thick gasket paper cut to suit each end of the spacer will fix it
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've still got my stock one....

The TRD units don't have spacers, its a single unit.
skit
Regular

November 2004
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Tue, 24 May 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a T3 short shift on my T50. While i'm not here to debate the plus/minuses compaired to the TRD unit, the T3 came with a damper bushing.

No rattle, noise or vibrations. These bushings are available individually from T3, so perhaps its worth getting hold of one to see if it will fit. I have never seen a TRD shifter though, so if the TRD unit is made to fit the T50 without a bush then the T3 bush may not fit over the TRD ball anyhow. Just a thought.

Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Tue, 24 May 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there was a good thread on this a little while ago:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=67806&rid=4385&S=573a8e831e0e3a17dd875dd 70a214606&pl_view=&start=0#msg_641782

it seems that the TRD shifter is not all its made out to be
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The reason the TRD Short Shift kit is a bit noisier is because the design eliminated the curved bushing that the pivot ball sits on. The metal on metal design is what creates the noise.

Functionality is fine, it's just a bit noisy.

Our Short Shift Kits replace all the factory bushings with Delrin (a durable hard machined plastic) This reduces noise while still maintaining precision and longevity.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who do you represent and how can I get one of these bushes?
Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh...Sorry, I guess I should update my Profile. I own Techno Toy Tuning. We sell bushings, but for the TRD unit, I'm afraid I don't have anything that will reduce the noise. I do have a bushing for the end of the TRD unit in delrin, but not the "base bushing", because TRD eliminated that in their design Sad
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey gabe, hurry up with those tow hooks and radiator shrouds would ya Very Happy hehe just kiddin

http://www.technotoytuning.com/

for those who dont know.

Gabriel Tyler
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Radiator Shrouds are back in stock. The tow hooks might be a few more weeks.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: T50 TRD quickshifter - DIY dampener? Fri, 27 May 2005 08:22 Go to previous message
ah sweet

off i go to your website again!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Electronic Anti-Corrosion System
Next Topic:Opinions on Kmac strut tops?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 29 10:35:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046820640563965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.