Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
icon5.gif  negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 04:38 Go to next message
Hey dudes.
The quick run down :
1. we did my ae101 ZE conversion and used the ae101 box and shafts
2. dialed in -2.5 degrees front camber (yeah baby)

The guy at WA suspension warned me that he was worried that there was not much 'play' in the drive shafts between the hub and the gearbox. (maybe this is due to slightly longer shafts in ae101?)
He said that this could become an issue due to the negative camber as this can amplify the issue of the outer driveshaft being forced into the gearbox when cornering....does this sound ok or is it a known issue ?

Sure enough sometimes when I hammer a hard bumpy right hand corner i get a metallic clanking sound originating from my front left wheel...do you guys rekon it could the the shaft colliding with the transaxle/gearbox or just a CV or something?

P.S. Only noticed it on right handers...
P.P.S. My engine mounts are rooted so is it likely to be engine knocking around?

CHEERS!
-daniel-
Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
-gt-
Regular

I Supported Toymods

October 2004
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd think engine mounts first, esp if you already know they're rooted. When my mount was stuffed it was a clunk sound on big bumps under breaks, but different mounts would probably hit under different conditions (due to loads in different directions).

But if you think it's coming from your front left wheel... How are you so sure, can you 'feel' the clanking through the wheel, apart from the bump in the road?
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool man. Well it definately 'feels' like its coming from the outside (left) wheel when i do a hard bumpy right hand corner.
I'll sikaflex the crap out of my stuffed mounts this week...

I just wanted to know if there is merit in what the WA suspension guy told me about the shafts colliding with the transaxle. Is this possible/common in negative cambered FWD's??

Is the ae101 box + shaft assembly slightly wider/longer than the ae92?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
neg so out abit not in. the shafts might be to long but i dout it. check mounts and make sure the box and driveshafts came out of the same car,if its lsd the shafts might be to short if there from an open box etc. hard to know without knowing if it all came out of the same frontcut.
mick
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep it all came from an ae101 frontcut.
Im not sure if negative camber would necessarily pull the shafts out, because when you adjust it from the top of the strut assembly the whole thing just slides closer to the box.

From your answers though it sounds like it hasn't been noted before so ill get the engine mounts sorted first.

Cheers Smile
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no probs you can do it with the pillow mounts or a eliptic bolt in the bottom of the strut which pulles it out fractionally as does the pillow mount pull it in fractionally. if the mounts a stuffed and you dont mind a bit of extra flex transfer,just get two part nothelane and make your own mounts.
mick
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: negative camber causing driveshaft collision with gearbox -> ? Tue, 31 May 2005 14:31 Go to previous message
the guy at the shop has a valid point, when i got my cv's replaced in my ae92 which is lowered the guy said that he could only give me a 6mth warranty on the cv's cause theyre now operating at the wrong angles and shit

cause the car is lowered the control arms are almost perfectly level but at stock height they are sloping down away from the motor and box. cause they now sit higher, the 2 joints in each cv when you hit bumps bottom out pretty much cause the wheel moving up makes them compress inwards and they go into the end of the socket and smash the 3 wheels inside the joint. id also be guessing they hit the inside of the diff thingy but theyll break their joints before they break that i think. they didnt actually make any noise like your saying until they were totally stuffed and then they would make noise when i turned both ways even the slightest and also when i accelerated.

check your mounts first. its more than likely them
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to make my ae82 rolla sound better
Next Topic:sort of newbie q's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Jun 8 22:15:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040650367736816 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.