Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 08:44 Go to next message
ive read heaps of people stating they have used commodore rear suspension (shocks) in sprinters. after a search and a a check of the FAQ i cant find any info. just wondering what sort of commodore shock and if any mods are required to fit or its just bolt in.
  Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VK Commodore wagon shocks. It is a bolt in, but.........

they suck. Sad Do yourself a favour and buy some good quality shocks designed for the AE86. Sure, the Commodore ones are shorter stroke (suits really low springs that aren't captive), but the valving is way too hard. Mine felt like i'd put solid bars in the back, and had shocking axle tramp with both wheels fighting for traction, despite new polyurethane bushes and adjustable trailing arms to setup the correct pinion angle.
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm ok fair enough just that kyb dident list a adjustable shock for the ae86 and i remembered ppl saying they used commodore parts.

what sort of shock would be considered a good quality one?

[Updated on: Tue, 31 May 2005 10:05]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not monroe Smile my brand new monroe gas shocks in the rear handle as well as the completely shagged bilsteins i took out Wink

ive also heard of a certain pug rear shock fitting.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tokico shocks are good! And they don't cost too much. They might well make adjustable ones for the AE86 too!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you definately can. they are adjustable via an allen key in the top of the chock piston.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Tue, 31 May 2005 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just standard non adjustable tokicos on my car, they have helped a lot with handling, I am extremely happy with them.
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mm thats funny,
i have been running vs ute shocks on the rear of my 86 and i have found them to be not hard enough!!! lol. mind u i was only using a 4 kg spring. ill see how they go with my new 6kg's mwahahaha.

the commo shocks are ok, seeing as they only cost $50.lol
Jon
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So do theses commodores rear springs are they pretty much a bolt in or is their some modification required?
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shocks, not springs,
yes they are completely bolt in.
they are a shorter stroke, so they will only be good for lowered springs. a stock spring wont work well with them.
Jon
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much shorter are these shocks?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considerably shorter, like enough that with King lowered springs, you could only jack the rear of the car up about 3 inches before the wheels were off the ground Shocked They'd probably even keep bodgy Ryobi-lowering-system springs captive Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 11:38]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
baha nice Smile my cars only SLIGHTLY lowered, but this may be worth looking into so i can finally put my car on my hoist without having to drop the rear half of the exhaust Sad
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So hang on, are we talking about genuine holden VS ute shocks here, or aftermarkets? Who makes 'em? How much did they set you back?

I might grab some if they're decent, stiff short stroke rears for an 86 aren't cheap Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 01 June 2005 12:35]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could get holden genuine but you would get an aftermarket replacement for the VS ute or whatever. such as monroe, kyb etc... go to a place like auto one, auto pro, repco, etc...
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gotcha. Thanks.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm talking about VK Wagon shocks, aftermarket from any suspension supplier.
koen
Regular

March 2004
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm probably way off, but i thought dunnydoor rear suspension was A) the same for wagons and utes, and B) basically the same for the all the live axle models?

These do the trick, you reckon?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=29700&item=4534180345

Not real keen on Monroes though.
Julz01
Regular

December 2004
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Wed, 01 June 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yea they dont seem to be to bad of a price but some of that guys other prices were rip offs.

$170 for gabriel shockers for the fronts , fuk that
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Thu, 02 June 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i happened to have a VS ute up on the hoist today, they are damn short!
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Thu, 02 June 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fitted KYB-AGX shocks made for a Commodore IRS, not really a agood idea as the have a longer stroke than standard, see my worklog for the details, link is in my signiture
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what made you put shocks with a longer stroke on?
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: commodore rear shocks - sprinter rear? Thu, 02 June 2005 09:22 Go to previous message
good question, because I wanted an off the shelf adjustable shocker and they were meant to be fukn be 20mm shorter damn it! Ah doesnt matter much I am going to install stroke limiting rods.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1G harness differences
Next Topic:O2 sensor voltages
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Jun 7 17:38:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005911111831665 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.