Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
New MX820 Sat, 04 June 2005 16:10 Go to next message
I read in the paper today Toyota Japan filmed an advert for the new MX820 in Brisbane. The shit thing is, we won't get this car released in our market, it looked pretty nice for a sedan, I'm guessing it's what replaces the JZX110. Unfortunatly the column didn't go into much detail, did say it had a 2.5 litre engine either AWD or RWD, or 3 litre RWD. 1j and 2j?
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: New MX820 Sat, 04 June 2005 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol

pointless!

GIVE US GOOD TOYOTAS!!!!!
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is MX820, that would suggest a M series block!? Surely not - they wouldn't go there again!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M series engines were discontinued long ago. I've never heard of an MX820 and a Google search reveals nothing. Are we talking about the new X body Toyotas here?
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As usual, whenever some decent JDM Toyota model is ever mentioned in the context of potential Australian importation, the Toyota OZ spokesperson will say "not a chance of it coming here" with barely disguised glee, as he did here. Mad

I can just imagine the management types at head office, salivating at the thought of their yearly bonuses, after maximising local profits with sales of whitegoods to the mostly unsuspecting or resigned Australan public...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
More likely the Toyota execs thought back to the early 90's when "decent JDM" stuff was imported here and failed dismally due to their high sticker price. ST205 GT4 and Nissan R32 GTR are two very good example - awesome cars, highly desirable, but a sales disaster. The Australian buying public simply won't fork out that sort of money for what they perceive as cheap Japanese cars.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 22:42

Are we talking about the new X body Toyotas here?

Yes - the photo in the article I saw was the new Mark X.

A Chaser etc would have been better but ANY RWD Toyota is better than what we are currently getting.
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: New MX820 Sun, 05 June 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 22:42

M series engines were discontinued long ago. I've never heard of an MX820 and a Google search reveals nothing. Are we talking about the new X body Toyotas here?

You're probably right, just going off what I can remember from the paper. I'm pretty certain about the number though, although the article could have been wrong.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: New MX820 Mon, 06 June 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Motors will be the GR series

1GR-FE 4.0L
2GR-FE 3.5L
3GR-FE 3.0L
4GR-FE 2.5L

I think I have the number and capacity correct.
I also think there are a couple of FSE's in there too.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: New MX820 Mon, 06 June 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 05 June 2005 22:58

More likely the Toyota execs thought back to the early 90's when "decent JDM" stuff was imported here and failed dismally due to their high sticker price. ST205 GT4 and Nissan R32 GTR are two very good example - awesome cars, highly desirable, but a sales disaster. The Australian buying public simply won't fork out that sort of money for what they perceive as cheap Japanese cars.

The R32 and ST205's were overpriced. If Nissan and Toyota were not greedy and had them at a reasonable price then they would have sold more.

For every failure there is a success. Toyota sold the Cressidas here for years and did very well because the asking price was realistic. It seems that all that is too hard now.

The Australian public can be bloody stupid. They 'apparently' won't fork out "that sort of money" for Japanese cars yet willingly fork out big $$ for ANY european car, even if it is a shitty Alfa/Saab/Volvo/Peugeot with ugly styling, flawed dynamics/quality and questionable resale. Confused

[Updated on: Mon, 06 June 2005 03:42]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New MX820 Tue, 07 June 2005 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 13:41

The R32 and ST205's were overpriced. If Nissan and Toyota were not greedy and had them at a reasonable price then they would have sold more.

In the case of the R32, Nissan kept dropping the price because no-one was buying them. They brought 100 cars in and they were sitting in car yards going nowhere. In the end they were being sold at a loss just to get rid of them, and the whole exercise was a huge financial loss for Nissan. Yes of course they would have sold more if they dropped the price even more, but if they're not going to turn a profit why would they do that?
Quote:

For every failure there is a success. Toyota sold the Cressidas here for years and did very well because the asking price was realistic. It seems that all that is too hard now.

Or, the economic climate was different in the 80's. Rolling Eyes Sales of the Cressida, Crown and Supra steadily dropped in the late 80's and early 90's as the Yen got stronger and the cars became more expensive. Eventually they became unprofitable and the inevitable happened. Simple economics at work here.
Quote:

The Australian public can be bloody stupid. They 'apparently' won't fork out "that sort of money" for Japanese cars yet willingly fork out big $$ for ANY european car, even if it is a shitty Alfa/Saab/Volvo/Peugeot with ugly styling, flawed dynamics/quality and questionable resale. Confused

The buying public is fickle, that's for sure. Why do you think Toyota stopped bringing in "prestige" cars but re-introduced them a few years later with Lexus badges? Same cars, different public perception - and it worked like a charm. You can be sure that if the X body Toyotas ever land here they'll be wearing a Lexus badge - people still won't buy an expensive Toyota.
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: New MX820 Tue, 07 June 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about introducing some JDM stuff as a sport/prestige range to help boost saled and improve the image of Toyota, of course everyone isn't going to buy a chaser, but if they were at the top of a model range it would be like a hero car for Toyota.
Edit: just read what said above, yeah i agree with that pretty much.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 04:02]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New MX820 Tue, 07 June 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 13:41

You can't extrapolate the price of the then new car from the bunch of drift damaged 15 year old shitboxes that litter our roads.

The GTR starting price was $110K back then. I think they finished up clearing them out at $75K (for a loss). For about $180K, you could have bought a Ferrari 328GTS. A modified turbo Porker was about 60-70K.

If I was in that market, I'd have bought the Eurotrash and pulled bitchez.

Japanese car manufacturers understand their place in the Australian market - shopping trolleys, light commercials and 4WDs.

[Updated on: Tue, 07 June 2005 04:10]

shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: New MX820 Tue, 07 June 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 13:40

[In the case of the R32, Nissan kept dropping the price because no-one was buying them. They brought 100 cars in and they were sitting in car yards going nowhere. In the end they were being sold at a loss just to get rid of them, and the whole exercise was a huge financial loss for Nissan. Yes of course they would have sold more if they dropped the price even more, but if they're not going to turn a profit why would they do that?

Maybe if they priced it at the level if the TT RX7 (around $80K) sales would have been more energetic.

Norbie

[Or, the economic climate was different in the 80's. Rolling Eyes Sales of the Cressida, Crown and Supra steadily dropped in the late 80's and early 90's as the Yen got stronger and the cars became more expensive. Eventually they became unprofitable and the inevitable happened. Simple economics at work here.

That may be so, but everyone else kept selling luxury models in that climate. Why was Toyota's supposed economies of scale and industry beating efficiencies not able to mitigate against this climate?

Norbie

The buying public is fickle, that's for sure. Why do you think Toyota stopped bringing in "prestige" cars but re-introduced them a few years later with Lexus badges? Same cars, different public perception - and it worked like a charm.

It wasn't the "same cars" except for the ES300. Lexus was instigated more to have a premium brand so they could earn higher margins in the BMW/Merc prestige segment, rather than do simple badge engineering of regular Toyotas-the ES300/Camry obviously being the obvious exception. Whether it worked like a charm is debatable. You don't see thousands of Lexus on the road. Of couse Lexus has not been a failure by any means but for Toyota Australia and for most other markets it is all about margin and not volume. I beleive that whatever the economic climate wold have been, they would still have introduced Lexus. It wasn't a reaction to the rising Yen, although of courze trey took advantage of that when it happened.

Norbie wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 13:40

[You can be sure that if the X body Toyotas ever land here they'll be wearing a Lexus badge - people still won't buy an expensive Toyota.
I can be sure that something like the X body will never come here. Smile

gianttomato wrote on Tue, 07 June 2005 14:09

You can't extrapolate the price of the then new car from the bunch of drift damaged 15 year old shitboxes that litter our roads
Who said I was extrapolating? I never said Nissan should have sold the R32 for $40K Rolling Eyes

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: New MX820 Tue, 07 June 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Mon, 06 June 2005 11:01

Motors will be the GR series

1GR-FE 4.0L
2GR-FE 3.5L
3GR-FE 3.0L
4GR-FE 2.5L

I think I have the number and capacity correct.
I also think there are a couple of FSE's in there too.

S being Supercharged? Cause I thought that code was Z. If not, then what's S?

Also, anyone know what this series of engine is like? I've never heard of them.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: New MX820 Wed, 08 June 2005 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
S = Direct Injection.
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New MX820 Wed, 08 June 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Direct injection as opposed to what, Carbi?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: New MX820 Wed, 08 June 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indirect injection.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New MX820 Wed, 08 June 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stradlater wrote on Wed, 08 June 2005 11:49

Direct injection as opposed to what, Carbi?

Fired directly into the cylinders.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: New MX820 Wed, 08 June 2005 04:42 Go to previous message
There are three main types of fuel injection:

1. Throttle Body Injection, ie one or two huge injectors mounted in the throttle body - basically an electronically controlled carbeurettor. There were a few cars in the 80's with a setup like this (eg Magna) but I don't think any new cars use it.

2. Port Injection aka Multi-Point Injection, ie one injector mounted in/near each inlet port. The vast majority of EFI engines today use this.

3. Direct Injection, ie one injector mounted inside the combustion chamber (like a spark plug) which injects fuel at extremely high pressure just before ignition. Diesels have done this for decades but it's pretty new for petrol engines. Toyota have had it for a few years now, I think the 2JZ-FSE was released in the late 90's?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Why you SHOULD drink drive.....
Next Topic:Coilover Install
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Jun 10 22:14:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.088131904602051 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.