Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 10:55 Go to next message
i want my cam gear covers transparent to show my cam gears. i was thinkin of cutting a square hole in the cover and stick a transparent plastic on it. what do u guys think??
and also, what can i use to stick it with considering the engine has vibration and heat it will fall off if not "sticked" properly. dont wanna imagine something falling into the cam gears at 6000rpm!!

the reason is i just got some fidanza cam gears. call me a ricer if u want, but its nice alluminium blue and i think it would be a waste if i just cover it up with the cam gear covers...
  Send a private message to this user    
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RICER!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
talk to des. aka AE86slaver

he has this on his 4age....didnt quite see details but it looks like the centre rectangle has been cut out and replace with a perspex panel.

Cheers

Nathan
gillie
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will work as long as the clear plastic doesn't touch the engine at all (only the cover) and is well held by a good high temperature silicone. I've filled large sections of covers with plastic sheet many times before to dust proof fwd to rwd engines with success.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA-022 wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 21:05

talk to des. aka AE86slaver

he has this on his 4age....didnt quite see details but it looks like the centre rectangle has been cut out and replace with a perspex panel.

Cheers

Nathan

ya my fren 4AGE was telling me that he had one. havent seen his one yet.

gillie, is that glue the black one frm the glue gun? the one used for sticking windscreens?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the one you described is for general house usage stuff like windows and stuff

the high temp ones are ideally made for the sprocket cover and stuff (i totally blanked out, camshaft cover is what i call it lol)

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of the guys at the toyota day show had a clear perspex bit to see the cam gears, didnt get a pic of it though.

i like the cam gear/timing belt covers and backing plate removed all together, looks much better. Smile
20VBTSECA
Regular

May 2005
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yuck!! whats next a see through cam cover?
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/creation/thumbnail.asp?width=90&pic=Supra_clear_cam1.jpg
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/Clear_CAM_Covers-168. asp
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks hot
cant really see the cam gears on a fwd tho since its east west

http://members.iinet.net.au/~alemc/mycars/ae86/4agte2.jpg
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 01:17

looks hot
cant really see the cam gears on a fwd tho since its east west

http://members.iinet.net.au/~alemc/mycars/ae86/4agte2.jpg

is there like a transparent plastic on that?? or is it just a hole??
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bit of perspex
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn, everyones ripping on Alems ideas!

his car is, well, when it was his, very sexy,

damn you D1-Spec for buying such a beautiful car!

Eldar.O.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20VBTSECA wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 00:26

I want a transparent alloy block/head so we can see everything happening... spinning gears are boring
Choony_AE86
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben u ricer!

Do u have adjustable cam gears now?

I hope you're not gonna do it on your stock cam gears, thats disgraceful No No No

Show us when you're done
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Mon, 13 June 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is rice by definition! Smile

People remove that top cover to keep the timing belt cooler, who knows what sort of effect it'll have on the life of it.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Choony_AE86 wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 09:26

ben u ricer!

Do u have adjustable cam gears now?

I hope you're not gonna do it on your stock cam gears, thats disgraceful No No No

Show us when you're done

already done!! car is on the dyno as we speak...

anybody wanna host cam gear pics??
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As mentioned above just leave the covers off all together.

I've never run one on mine.

http://www.billzilla.org/sprinterbay2.jpg
quest
Regular

April 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is a completely transparent upper timing belt cover available for the 7mge.
The 7m cover shaped very similar to a 4age. If it didn't fit directly, it may be close enough to 'adapt'.
Actually, looks very cool if ya ask me. First thought that came to mind when I saw it on a 7 was, "I wonder if they make those for the 4age".
I'll dig up the link to it if somebody really wants to see it
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/creation/thumbnail.asp?width=90&pic=7mcover.jpg
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yian wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 00:52

http://www.thor-racing.co.uk/creation/thumbnail.asp?width=90&pic=7mcover.jpg

dont u wish u had that yian??

btw guys, the dyno dude i went to said that there is no legislation against driving without cam gear covers. anybody wanna confirm this??
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Tue, 14 June 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 18:01

As mentioned above just leave the covers off all together.

I've never run one on mine.

http://www.billzilla.org/sprinterbay2.jpg

i dont have any cam covers on mine but i think you need em for rego and legalitly issues....
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Wed, 15 June 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 06:53

btw guys, the dyno dude i went to said that there is no legislation against driving without cam gear covers. anybody wanna confirm this??

It might look cool, but getting your shirt/hair etc caught in your cambelt would not be fun at all

Me thinks a clear cover is a safer option and best of all - no legal problems Very Happy !
sxr01r
Regular

November 2003
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Wed, 15 June 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the black glue stuff for windows is called butyl mastic and can be brought from a local hardware shop. i dont know whether it would be suitable for holding perspex or whatever to the cam gear cover though. as for the covers their main purpose is to stop dust, dirt, grime whatever from getting to the belt as that sorta stuff decreases its life. hmm looks vs function. go for looks.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Thu, 16 June 2005 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sxr01r wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 16:46

the black glue stuff for windows is called butyl mastic and can be brought from a local hardware shop. i dont know whether it would be suitable for holding perspex or whatever to the cam gear cover though. as for the covers their main purpose is to stop dust, dirt, grime whatever from getting to the belt as that sorta stuff decreases its life. hmm looks vs function. go for looks.

looks vs function?? i dont know ive seen quite a few non ricer cars without covers around. billsherwood one of them Rolling Eyes . looks is one thing but to put that thing back on a FWD is just a real pain in the butt!!

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: transparent cam gear covers ----4age Thu, 16 June 2005 05:24 Go to previous message
As Bill said, running without cam gear covers reduces the heat of the cam belt, but at the expense of the longevity of the belt. Also it makes it heaps easier to dial in cams Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Visual identification of AE86 Diff
Next Topic:1g valve spring removal ect
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 27 17:33:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052790641784668 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.