Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:32 Go to next message
I'm having an annoying issue with my twin plate setup in the GT8. It was there with the W58 but at that time i thought it was actually a problem with the box not the clutch...still there with the tremec (actually worse) so 99% sure it's the throwout bearing.

Basically when the engine is under load at low rpm the throwout bearing rattles like a bitch...very very noisey. as soon as you have any decent revs on board or you are only dawdling along the noise goes away.

I don't think the clutch fork is pulling the bearing off the pressure plate enough so they just touch and under these conditions and make a hell of a racket.

I have no idea why only under load at low rpm but does anyone have a potential fix? If i have to pull the whole thing out again i won't be a happy camper but could be what it comes down to as you can't live with this noise.
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe its a worn spigot bearing?

mine did this (still is as i don't have the tool to get it out Confused ) does it under low rpm load, and at idle
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what happens under various conditions when you 'slightly' load the throwout bearing by putting light pressure on the pedal?

Cya, Stewart
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything is brand spankers from the flywheel to the diff.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Stew, as soon as any pressureoad is applied to the clutch pedal the noise stops..strictly an in gear problem when the thrust bearing should be sitting there doing nothing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: clutch guru required Tue, 14 June 2005 03:47 Go to previous message
I'm no clutch expert but...

ae86slaver wrote on Tue, 14 June 2005 13:41

maybe its a worn spigot bearing?

mine did this (still is as i don't have the tool to get it out Confused ) does it under low rpm load, and at idle

i'd thougth of this, but discarded it since when the clutch is disengaged, the input shaft is firmly held in place by the friction plate.... unless you mean the spigot is so worn that it is allowing the friction plate to be clamped off-axis?? that's baad mmkay..

Justen, whens the last time you checked spigot bearing? (last time any of us did? Wink )

(edit: man i'm getting some delay in posting today...)

maybe bearing is dry.. or has been running enough to heat it up and dry it out? how did it feel last time the box was off?
you could always just give it a little more pressure Wink... or maybe better to back it off a bit.... is there a spring to pre-tension the clutch lever to pull it back? the springs between lever and throwout bearing carrier are in place?

[Updated on: Tue, 14 June 2005 06:26]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what axles/brakes fit T-18 diff assembly?
Next Topic:EP82 into what ? ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Jun 2 03:23:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0034551620483398 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.