Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ST185 FMIC questions...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
ST185 FMIC questions... Mon, 27 June 2005 10:15 Go to next message
Hey all,am in the market to purchase a FMIC for my 4 and after a ring around a bit today in my lunch break,when u tell people that u hav a GT4 they speak back as if u are speaking a different language...hhehehe and so now i hav a few questions..?
plz keep in mind i hav the stock gt4 bar with the driving lights in the corners..!
1.What core works best..?
2.What is the best piping route and sizing...?
3.Is it vital to clock the turbo to get a good result.?
4.Is there anyone who in sydney has a FMIC fitted to there GT4 and is willing to show me at least a foto, or where they got it fitted...?
..Thanks ..!
  Send a private message to this user    
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Mon, 27 June 2005 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most probably heading to the dyno day on the 3rd
happy to let you check out the FMIC on my car then

cheers Very Happy
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else..?
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on how much power you wanna make and how much money you want to spend..

if you want something cheap looks quite nice and will do a decent job of cooling then as much as people might cringe when they hear me say this those cheap chineese cores arent half bad but they are definatly on the cheap end of town in terms of price and quality...

then you have arc which are at the other end of the scale and will cost you big $$$

my suggestion would be to go for an off the shelf japanese i/c kit if at all posible as they generally supply all the things needed to make it as bolt in a possible with the minimum ammount of fuss
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lance may have photos of Wyldies frontmount setup - using the standard front bar - he used a smaller core to what Myself , and troy used - but weve swapped to the group A panelling ..

Clocking the turbo helps as it takes out about 2 bends from the path chosen - but it can be done the other way with a few twists and turns - ive got pics of my setup in another thread in general discussion - though you might not be able to go the same way as ive got no AFM and stock airbox in my car now ..

Id looks at troys first - his maintains the Stock mounting bar too - all youd need to look at is resizing your core to suit what airflow you have and you should be pretty set
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Umm .. the only " off the shelf " kit comes from the US - and last check it had been withdrawn from sale - or my links to it just dont work anymore

getting a core in the Gt4 is totally custom - nothing bolts in - youll need to either use group A panneling and mounting support ( to give the core clearance behind the bumper if over 250 mm high ) , or a chopped standard bar to suit .

Groups A's are a little easier to do as you can use some of the existing bracketry and points behind the bar to get it hooked up - from where the water exchanger used to be i believe ..

Hybrid ones like mine are cheap enough these days too, and PWR ones are becoming quite competitive in price.

PWR also make a water to air kit too - but im not 100% sure if you will have the room needed to fit it up

[Updated on: Tue, 28 June 2005 09:03]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 19:01

Umm .. the only " off the shelf " kit comes from the US - and last check it had been withdrawn from sale - or my links to it just dont work anymore

i was just generalising with reagrds to that comment
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Tue, 28 June 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair nuffskis Smile

Gt4 has SOME off the shelf support but was never a cult car like say the supra , Mr2 , or WRX/Evo's

Shame thou - its a bloody good car overall , people are slowly realising this in the aftermarket brigades
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Wed, 29 June 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u were in brisbane i could get one of those off the shelf kits made for sfa 850 includin core with stainless mandrel bends Razz or there abouts

[Updated on: Wed, 29 June 2005 06:18]

EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Wed, 29 June 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Wed, 29 June 2005 16:17

if u were in brisbane i could get one of those off the shelf kits made for sfa 850 includin core with stainless mandrel bends Razz or there abouts

dont tempt me bro , i was planning to do a road trip soonish anyway up that way !!...
will pm u in a few days..!

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVL-184 wrote on Tue, 28 June 2005 18:42

anyone else..?

more than happy to let you see and take as many photos
as you want - its up to you

cheers Very Happy
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

anyone else..?

How's that for in-ya-face rejection. Sad
Don't worry Troy I'm sure someone out there loves you. Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh well - no appreciation hey troy - these younguns can go watch initial D instead + leave the hard work to the men Wink
3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 12:53

Ahh well - no appreciation hey troy - these younguns can go watch initial D instead + leave the hard work to the men Wink

Who's calling who a young-gun, I've got 3 years on you boy. Very Happy
As far as appreciation ask Troy who mounted his FMIC. Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Thu, 30 June 2005 03:08]

EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1gt48u wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 11:30

anyone else..?

more than happy to let you see and take as many photos
as you want - its up to you

cheers Very Happy

Yeah Troy, im more then willing to take fotos dont worry.. , sorry if it seemed as though you werent good enought, i was just after a wide variety of pics, and or thoughts as what the best way to do it ,
i hav no doubt that ur set up is both a credit to u and whoever assited you in putting it on your car...
i look forward to see your car on sunday !!
Thanks..!

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EVL-184 it also depends on the dimensions of the intercooler you pick. The way we mounted Troys was determined by cooler size, inlet/outlets on cooler, front bumper, etc. Good idea to reseach first, nothing worse than buying an intercooler that's not going to fit.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both comments were said in jest! see that Wink < - thats a wink Wink

And if you want me to post up different frontmount ideas i have a heep on file here - did the whole goggles search thing previous to tackling it to see which would work best for me - and came up with what i have now - which fitted pretty sweetly ..

Only thing though if id do it again would be to use a slightly shorter in length core - as they ere the only last minor niggles had

600 X 300 X 75 hybrid with GTR style endtanks is about the maximum size to fit behind there without seriously hacking stuff - I needed to Massage via hacksaw one small brace in the middle to give depth clearance - so the core wouldnt sit lower than the bumperbar

if you can hang off till tuesday weds ill have a finished result of how one is done with aircon retained

3t-RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 21:37

both comments were said in jest! see that Wink < - thats a wink Wink

if you can hang off till tuesday weds ill have a finished result of how one is done with aircon retained

I know it was in jest. See that Very Happy < that's a grin. You bloody GT4 boys take things to seriously Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .
We retained the aircon on Troy setup. Will try and find some photos and post them, with his permission of coures.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Thu, 30 June 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nahh just post em - so we can bathe in his gloriful achievments with your assistance of course - cant have him taking all the spotlight and such Smile

path really does depend on how your going to suit your turbo - upward , or clocked ..

Air con retained - or turfed ?

battery retained - or moved ? etc etc ..

Power chasing - or just efficient cooling with a little more lag ?

throw us a few more points to work off and we'll soon find you an answer!

Oh another poiunt while i remember is clearance - the group A bonnet like troys and mine make things alot easier but of course , likely hood of you having ones slim jims ..

gotta take that into accordance , which makes clocking alot more attractive
EVL-184
Regular

June 2005
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Fri, 01 July 2005 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Thu, 30 June 2005 21:58

Nahh just post em - so we can bathe in his gloriful achievments with your assistance of course - cant have him taking all the spotlight and such Smile

path really does depend on how your going to suit your turbo - upward , or clocked ..

Air con retained - or turfed ?

battery retained - or moved ? etc etc ..

Power chasing - or just efficient cooling with a little more lag ?

throw us a few more points to work off and we'll soon find you an answer!

Oh another poiunt while i remember is clearance - the group A bonnet like troys and mine make things alot easier but of course , likely hood of you having ones slim jims ..

gotta take that into accordance , which makes clocking alot more attractive

well, id love to clock my turbo, but i cant seem to find any decent fotos of what the actuator bracket has to look like or where to mount it from...

A/c , kept but can be turfed...most of the lines hav been scraped..

Battery , is moved to boot after seeing stu's "how to" ive completed this mod..

Power chasing, and a touch of better cooling then stock ...
you can really feel the difference is power after sitting idle at lights and such..from heat soak..

Oh and yes i could probley get a GRP A bonnent as im a dismantler for a importer..!

Also as for the lag ive got a Hiflowed CT26 waiting to go. not sure if that changes anything...
just dont really wanna run my fresh CT26 with my top mount heater..?

[Updated on: Fri, 01 July 2005 12:47]

1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Fri, 01 July 2005 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evl-184,

had to fabricate actuator rod to reach. All we ended up doing was we added a threaded knuckle section to allow us
to set it to whatever length I needed. I didn't take any photos
of it Sad as it was a late night and I was in a hurry to
get it back together.
Its not as hard to do as you might think - just a bit of thinking and patience.
Bonnet doesnt make that much difference with pipework ( refer Wyldies gt4 ) but you will find it to let heat out more effectively and its also lighter.

Turbo lag I dont really have a drama with and heatsoak in the interwarmer is a thing of the past

cheers Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if youve got a clocked turbo it doesnt - if you go with the stock setup like mine - it definantly does .. the bulge sits in exactly the right area to make the bends less nasty - so you have more room to play with - Plus nods - heat OUT!

when i swap to the garret ill be going the clocked route + possibly a custom exhaust manifold - depending on what i can afford - less bends = a good thing in the end
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stu

I didnt think about that Razz

btw I noticed your bonnet was black as well. Must have had a special on black ones Very Happy

cheers Very Happy
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods! nearly every frontcut ive seen has been black .

Every imported Group A ive seen , has been black ..

Im keeping my bonnet black for the moment - When it comes to spraying the whole car i might change my mind Smile

-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
black is sexy
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in any info on front mounts for 3sgte's.
Clocking the turbo, costs, where to get it done in newcastle, best size for intercooler, where to put the BOV etc.
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: ST185 FMIC questions... Sat, 02 July 2005 03:44 Go to previous message
cycleofabuse wrote on Sat, 02 July 2005 12:51

I'm interested in any info on front mounts for 3sgte's.
Clocking the turbo, costs, where to get it done in newcastle, best size for intercooler, where to put the BOV etc.

give me a call dave and i'll get you around to have a
better look - then we can talk fitting it up

cheers Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3sge valve stem seals and piston ring questions
Next Topic:engine conversion question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 12 09:12:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11856698989868 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar