Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE82 Drum to Disc conversion. How?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Tofuboi
Regular

November 2003

AE82 Drum to Disc conversion. How? Sun, 10 July 2005 04:13 Go to next message
I know this may sound a little blunt but I want to know what I need and what to do really?

I've looked at various different guides on it, but I need some more help on the subject...

Thanks Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: AE82 Drum to Disc conversion. How? Sun, 10 July 2005 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On my wifes old road car, simply bolted in the twin cam front and rear struts with brakes attached and bled them. Attached the handbrake cables and away you go. Worked perfectly and never did anything unusual under hard braking. Never swapped any proportioning valves or any of that.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE82 Drum to Disc conversion. How? Sun, 10 July 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check out the FAQ on www.twincam.org/forums

from memory my mate took the AE82 twincam rear hubs and control arms and everything and bolted them into his AE82 SE... along with the AE101 GT-Z superstrut calipers and discs (outlined in the FAQ above).... works very well!
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE82 Drum to Disc conversion. How? Mon, 11 July 2005 06:33 Go to previous message
Ok, the AE82 has a separate rear brake mounting back plate, which does bolt directly to a drum's rear hub setup(can be brought from toyota new) where later model has totally different hub assembly for disc and drums. So for an AE82 all you do need are these brake bracket, but I will agree that changing the entire assembly in one hit is the easiest way, but you will need different handbrake cables for the disc setup. also you will find AE92 GTI assembly will also bolt straight up (I do have a set of both AE82 & AE92 which I'm willing only part with one of them). AE101 GTZ and superstrut 20V have the large diameter rears available and the disc and calipers do directly bolt up to AE82, AE92, AE101/102, AE111/AE112 brake hubs, same goes for the fronts. AE102 and 20V AE101/AE111 are all the same and are only a few mill. smaller than a AE92 GTI fronts; AE92 GTI are thicker. The Superstrut 20V and GTZ twin spots are the biggest factory item that will bolt directly to AE82 Twin cam front assemblies,AE92 etc (AE82 solids use a smaller bolts on the calipers and the strut, but will bolt up, but is a sloppy fit). Master cylinders, well on and AE82 the biasing is inbuilt, but I still believe that a Twin Cam cylinder is needed as a drum m/cylinder will tend to lock the rears more often (that's the theory) but I haven't tried as most AE82 have a few hundred on the clock and as a good measure, We just change it as part of the process.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Timing in re: to Turbo application
Next Topic:Caldina AWD Turbo Brake Specs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Jun 5 05:13:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11381602287292 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.