Toymods » General Car Talk » CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Wed, 15 January 2003 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arent 20v better left as a naturally aspirated engine? i think i read somewhere that they dont really react well with forced induction but i cant remember the article...
  Send a private message to this user    
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Wed, 15 January 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with justcallmefrank, BOVs are a waste of time on a SC, on a turbo (and strober rigolis 20vturbo pulls 11.9's) it is a different story.

Those pics were from fast fours a few years ago and it is in an AE82, it is a wicked car. The white AE92 in the background has the full digital Jappy dash in it.

Also that 1100$$ clutch u could probably get from Daiken for $450 or so, I will make a call for u tomorrow, that is a clutch, diaphram and bearing. The boys look after me there..... It might even be cheaper, I got my H/D for $300 (pre GST days) and that is emough. anything more is overkill (from experience) unless there is a genuine track plan for the car (ie racing)

It looks like this post has seriously favoured the 20v, taking into account the 180 is a turbo, I think the 20v takes the bang for buck award, fuel economy award and the "u just got smoked by a 1600" award (always good when u smoke a turbo or a v6 ford or somethin hehee)
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hey fellas im pretty sure the CRX's you are talking about are actually D16Y's not B16A's. D16Y's are sohc VTEC (dont go as hard as b16a, which is dohc vtec.)

the new shape crx (del sol) are D16Y's I'm 99% sure.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Negative!! The 3rd Gen CRX is a B16A!!
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys
ok back to that clutch i think it is either a solid centre or very close to it. its been a while since he told me.ummm.but seriously the car goes a whole lot quicker than it used to just becoz of the clutch.
not bein a bitch leigh but fords only make straight sixes Razz
yea samantha kilroe smiths corolla is pretty good(blue one that runs 11.9)yea i talk to her a little, but my cousin(with the $1100 cluthc) is heaps good friends with her so yeah.she gives him pointers. and just a lil bit of trivia. the 11.9second engine was a 4agze bottom end with a 20v head. just for something different.

i think i read somewhere that they dont really react well with forced induction but i cant remember the article...
take a look at DROOLN only runnin six pounds it took out the dyno comp at the auto expo. Rolling Eyes

unless there is a genuine track plan for the car (ie racing)
well i guess u can say he has plans or actually that he duz alot of it now.illegal street drags of course Very Happy but i guess that has something to do with his number plates 'EAGER' and he says it means EAGER for a race..so yeah..actually i just remember that one time when he was in syd. he raced a twin turbo soarer off at the lights and sat side by side with it. wat da Confused
oh well thats enuff typin for now..catch yalater guys.

-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i am back again.. just quickly msgd my cousin while he was at work and replied sayin his clutch was 2inches bigger than standard and double or triple clamping Confused duz that make any sense leigh. he said it is a CARTER custom clutch.
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE which crx am i thinkin of then?? Rolling Eyes
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-blown20v- wrote on Wed, 15 January 2003 14:43

and becoz noone else has done it..

I hear this a lot, and personally, I don't think it's a good enough reason to do anything.

As for the 20V vs GZE thing. I've seen it countless times before in many different guises. I can tell you that at the traffic light GP, the GZE will hammer a 20V. Seriously, I've never seen an N/A 20V come close to a stock GZE.

On the track or on the freeway is a different matter. A 20V would walk away from a GZE without even straining.
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nark, i am sorry but i have had 2 gzes before, I cant explain it, but it has happened on 3 different occasions

I am open for critizism, but i can get one gze owner to vouch for it too

Blown, That is what u get for posting at 2am, simple errors like v versus flat, oh well silly me
The clutch size is decided via the fly size and if u get one that is 2 in larger then it will overhang the bell housing, which u and i both know will never happen, right. I am a little confused here with what u are saying about it, but as far as dbl or tripple well songle button will be a big enough prob let alone the clamp load of a dbl or tpl.

LP

[Updated on: Thu, 16 January 2003 11:54]

"gt4rider"
Regular

December 2002
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it is being spent on a Toyota then I dont mind. I think you got away with it cheaply Laughing

"gt4rider"
ST165
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

As for the 20V vs GZE thing. I've seen it countless times before in many different guises. I can tell you that at the traffic light GP, the GZE will hammer a 20V. Seriously, I've never seen an N/A 20V come close to a stock GZE

I agree, And I can back Nark on this quote too...

A standard GZE

http://www.toymods.org.au/Dyno_Day_3/Graphs/SXL00N.gif

A standard 20V

http://www.toymods.org.au/Dyno_Day_3/Graphs/TRD20V.gif
So it's obvious, a GZE has more power
Also Seen it many times on the road. From a standing start, a 20V's hundred odd Nm of torque can't compare to the GZE's 200 odd Nm of torque, power is only useful up top. But, Just thinking of it, an early model GZE could have a tough time against the 20V.
Also Last the super sprint I enter at wakefield park, there was a near standard 20V in an AE82, which I happened to get a run against. Off the line my 7AFE ate him for dinner, but once on song, it kept up and gained a little on me! Lucky for me I had the extra cog and much better brakes which kept him there, but I think he would of tried passing me at the end of main straight otherwise.... and before I hear a song and dance about this being impossible from those hear who don't know my car, this 7AFE resides in a Group A Rally car.
Quote:

A stock 20v (silvertop) puts out 108kw at the flywheel, blacktop a little more.

Yeah, that would be around the right money on pump fuel, but on Avgas or ELF racing (same octane fuel as Jap), they make the 115 and 120Kw's, quoted from Factory.
Quote:

and becoz noone else has done it..

I know of Two at the moment... Peter Luftus' Improved Production Car, a Blue Starlet which Dynotrac had on display at Dyno Day 3 and Ivan Tan's AE92 in WA. I know the Starlet produces 130-140Kw@wheels, but it is a race car. The corolla which is street drive produces 80Kw@wheel. But expect this to stay this way, CAMS has just approved the RV seca and 20V combo for the New super 1600 class, which is real good news for Me! Anyone want to buy a just rebuilt Grp A 7AFE? which is now for sale.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

But expect this to stay this way

I should say don't expect.... just too late at night so I had to make at least one typo guys!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Thu, 16 January 2003 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dang Johnny! Didn't think a 20V could hang with your car!

And I thought that the blue Starlet was turbo?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Fri, 17 January 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Dang Johnny! Didn't think a 20V could hang with your car!

I think faired slightly better when it came to power to weight.
Quote:

And I thought that the blue Starlet was turbo?

Nope, All N/A, just that it has had a shit load of cash poured into it. Would be interesting to drive on the road Evil or Very Mad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Fri, 17 January 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah... I'm thinking of the turbo Mirage...

That Starlet would be a real interesting drive...
needacar
Occasional Poster

January 2003
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Fri, 17 January 2003 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
strober wrote on Tue, 07 January 2003 00:17

...the honda b16a will chomp them both...
!now shoot mee!
hahahahahhah! Laughing
i saw a vid of a 'tegra type r beating a s14 (both stock) in a quarter mile run. but yeah it was from a honda site.
talking about modded the ca18det would benifit most from an exhaust. the gearing isnt that good but. i kept up with a sr20de non turbo in first and second gear with my b6 1600cc sohc non turbo. i was pretty damn proud of that! Very Happy

that is true due to the fact that the ITR is tuned to the max all you can really with it is add an exhaust and thats about it, a friend added a pod filter to his ITR and on the dyno the kw went down. In stock form for both the ITR will kick the s14 ass for sure.
but if you put 5000 on both cars to mod the 200sx will win as its engine has more potential stil to come while the ITR is tuned already to perform basically near its peak in stock form.
-blown20v-
Regular

January 2003
Re: CRX vs 180sx Vs 20valve Sat, 18 January 2003 01:31 Go to previous message
hey guys,
with the 20v it depends how u race it... we've found that holdin the handy up a starting to creep at the grand the just dumpin the clutch seems to get u away pretty quickly or also. takin off then stabbin the clutch. causes wheelspin but once it hooks in it takes off. jus been experimentin Confused oh and back to that supercharger with bov issue.. look in HOT4'S no. 89 (december20002) on page 51 and u'll see a mirage with a gze blower and a blow off valve..

oh and leigh back to the clutch issue.. i have no idea Confused hehehe
..well anyways gotta go.. off to carmate to spend money : Very Happy
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:R32 GTS-T?? Anyone drive/passenger?
Next Topic:Which AE92's are 100kw ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 26 17:27:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004608154296875 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.